Undercover Armor Flex poor fitment?

OP
OP

SnyderJ21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
That's really interesting. I ordered through realtruck.com and had selected that it was for a 21. I will be reaching out to the company tomorrow to either get a return started or have them send me one that will fit if they have made updates to make it longer. Crazy to me that they would knowingly design something advertised to be weather resistant to be as short as this one is. Hopefully can get some decent help from realtruck or undercover because I do like the way this looks on the truck.
Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Wish I saw this thread before I ordered my Undercover Ultra Flex. I installed it yesterday and noticed right away it was too short. I could stick a pencil in where it meets the tailgate. I emailed the company and they asked me to measure it metal to metal. I did and it was 66.5 inches. They said it was the correct one even though the bed measures 67 inches. Way too much money to have something I am not happy with. Luckily I got it from Amazon. I took it back off boxed it up and its already on its way back. Will have to do better research for the next one.
Can you provide the PN you purchased? I have one sitting in my garage waiting for my truck to show up next week....

bjtcars

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Can you provide the PN you purchased? I have one sitting in my garage waiting for my truck to show up next week....
The part # was UX22029. Undercover verified that it is the correct one for the 2021. It's possible I got a bad one but I don't think that was the case it was just too short.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The part # was UX22029. Undercover verified that it is the correct one for the 2021. It's possible I got a bad one but I don't think that was the case it was just too short.
Well I guess I'll wait and see, some people say it fits fine, wonder if it's just a quality issue or the needs to lay flat a while to soften and "stretch out"....I don't think you've chosen the wrong product, it just seems like they have a fitment issue/quality issue...Did they say anything about how to fix, or replace, or verify their other units? How did they leave the discussion with you? Did they think your fitment was acceptable?

bjtcars

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Well I guess I'll wait and see, some people say it fits fine, wonder if it's just a quality issue or the needs to lay flat a while to soften and "stretch out"....I don't think you've chosen the wrong product, it just seems like they have a fitment issue/quality issue...Did they say anything about how to fix, or replace, or verify their other units? How did they leave the discussion with you? Did they think your fitment was acceptable?
They had me measure it and send them pictures. The cover was 66.5 inches and he said that's what its supposed to be even though the interior of the bed is 67 inches. This is his last response to me " Hi Bob the cover appears to be sitting correct on your truck. Even it so that the rear seal fins tuck into each other for a good seal " I read it a couple of time and took that to mean they weren't going to do anything. As I said before I got it at Amazon luckily and its already on its way back.

Reactions: Dan

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
They had me measure it and send them pictures. The cover was 66.5 inches and he said that's what its supposed to be even though the interior of the bed is 67 inches. This is his last response to me " Hi Bob the cover appears to be sitting correct on your truck. Even it so that the rear seal fins tuck into each other for a good seal " I read it a couple of time and took that to mean they weren't going to do anything. As I said before I got it at Amazon luckily and its already on its way back.
It's hard to see in your pictures, but length wise it looks similar to the other poster who was happy with the fitment. Is it just sitting high on the tail gate? So the seal isn't great downwards to the tailgate? Or is there a gap with looking top down?

bjtcars

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
It's hard to see in your pictures, but length wise it looks similar to the other poster who was happy with the fitment. Is it just sitting high on the tail gate? So the seal isn't great downwards to the tailgate? Or is there a gap with looking top down?
If you go by the directions the front flap should overhang the bulkhead. When I did that I had an eighth of an inch gap at the tailgate. I then pulled it back some from the front to cover the rear but then weather-strip was exposed at the ends.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If you go by the directions the front flap should overhang the bulkhead. When I did that I had an eighth of an inch gap at the tailgate. I then pulled it back some from the front to cover the rear but then weather-strip was exposed at the ends.
Ah okay, so you found the middle "sweet spot" and it's not providing a good seal.

OP
OP

SnyderJ21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
I adjusted where I had the cover land on the bulk head to where I thought was appropriate. I put a light in the bed to illustrate the size of the gap on the tailgate side of things.
Ford F-150 Undercover Armor Flex poor fitment? 20210325_163926
Ford F-150 Undercover Armor Flex poor fitment? 20210325_163334
Ford F-150 Undercover Armor Flex poor fitment? 20210325_163908

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I adjusted where I had the cover land on the bulk head to where I thought was appropriate. I put a light in the bed to illustrate the size of the gap on the tailgate side of things.
20210325_163926.jpg
20210325_163334.jpg
20210325_163908.jpg
I got my truck this week! Installed the cover yesterday, and I do think there's something with it being a bit short. I think yours is too far forwards. I'm not convinced the forward corner, even with the extra bulkhead seal is tight enough to stop water. But getting it back further then yours is certainly better seal on the tailgate then you have. I think it's more important to have the tailgate seal. Did you use the bulkhead seal?

It also seems like it wasn't designed with the plastic railing protector in place? It seems like the side seals land on/above the ridges, rather then tucked in, not sure that will make a difference with water coming in?

I'll try with a flashlight tonight to compare

Ford F-150 Undercover Armor Flex poor fitment? 54DB3BE4-D7AF-423C-B81B-764D76E07F3A

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I don't think '21 F150 truck accessory manufacturers are in tune with our needs for this new generation truck.
The same is true of aftermarket door sills we purchased that don't fit,
in-channel ventshade window deflectors that restrict the closing of a window.
bought the in channel vent shades and had them installed at the dealer before I took the truck home.
As soon as I got home, the front ones came back off and into the garage.
I will attempt to do some trimming and filing and try them again later.

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
I was just about to order this cover. Maybe not the right thread but does the F1 or MX4 fit better?

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Me too; was just about to order. Now not sure what to buy.

For guys that have them, is this the part you have? AX22029

OP
OP

SnyderJ21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Me too; was just about to order. Now not sure what to buy.

For guys that have them, is this the part you have? AX22029
Yes, that is the part number for the 2021 short bed.

Dantracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
I too was going to order this cover but now I'm not so sure. I really like the line X on top to prevent scratches, but if it's too short, then that will be a major problem. Anyone else that installed this cover have any observations/pics?
Sponsored