Under Coating and Paint Protection

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
I've never bought a new vehicle before, and I've never owned a vehicle worth putting this kind of money into protecting it's longevity, so I'm uncertain of what's a scam, and what's worth the money.

I've heard that most new vehicles come with an undercoating. I leave close to the ocean, so the air is humid and salty and when it does freeze it gets all kinds of nasty, so I'm considering an after market one, but don't want to waste my money.

Also, I've seen the ceramic coating for paint protection, but a friend of mine recommended a paint protection film saying they last longer and are more resilient.

Anyone with experience able to weigh in a little more? I've read through the other threads talking about ceramic coatings, but I want to at least learn about more options, and I don't really trust what I find with a random google search
Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Find a rust-proofing establishment that uses fluid film. From what I’ve read the cost is on the lower end but the effectiveness is high up there.
I’m leasing my 2021 for three years and will only commit to buying it if it seems like a solid build after the three years.
At that point I would go for the full fluid film application. That stuff not only prevents rust but it will stop it in its tracks too.

I live in Canada where the road conditions are similar to what you described and I never had any rust proofing treatment done to my 2018 model and I don’t really have any visible signs of rust at all at this point.

I don’t know if Ford or the dealership did anything to it before I picked it up and another thing to note is that I go through an automatic car wash at least once or twice a week so I never really have any salt sitting on any parts of my truck For more than a day or two

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I have the 3m film on my car, looks great when it's cleaned especially in the evening, could also be the turtle wax. I've had to get the hood touched up with paint (covered because of the film) but the salesman literally just dabbed it with a paint brush so I only did it once. I'm not impressed with the film and I was going to just wax my truck until I decided to get a Lariat, so I'm gonna give the ceramic a shot.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I was really interested in the ceramic coating all the way up until I learned how much it cost and how long it took to do. I personally don’t want to spend that much unless it was a really expensive car or a classic that needed that kind of protection.

I am going into my third year with my 2018 XLT and it’s so shiny and in good condition that I often get asked if it’s a brand new truck that I just picked up.

i’m gonna tell you guys what I do even though I know it will most likely be frowned upon by many.
I said I go to the automatic car wash at least once or twice a week.

The truth is I go almost every day if I have the time. I wouldn’t say it’s a high-end car wash place but it’s definitely above average.
I pay just under $50/month and it includes hot wax and some type of ceramic stage(probably bs), Under body spray and I don’t know how it works but it does some thing that makes my wheels and tires really shiny.

now I know that automatic car wash is leave a lot of swirls but maybe because of the wax and other chemicals this one uses my swirls are very minimal. I did get a small scratch one time which looks like a little rock or piece of glass or something got stuck on one of those spinning things probably from another car but other than that my truck actually still does look brand new.
I will put some pictures up later after the wash because it’s actually sunny and above zero today.

The main reason that I wash it almost every day is because when I originally went to pick it up I ordered a black XLT. Then on the last day before pick up the dealer told me that they sold the last black one and the only other model with 4x4 available was the red one, which I hate.

I’ve always hated this truck up until a few months ago, I guess the red finally grew on me. I do get a lot of compliments on it but that’s mostly because it’s always super shiny and looks brand new. There are absolutely no modifications on it at all except the dark tinted windows.

The 2021 that I’m waiting for is a white two-tone. I’m going to do the same thing with that one.
Car wash almost every day and if it behaves for three years (unlike my 2018)and I decide to keep it then at that point I will probably bring it in for the fluid film application and maybe get it professionally hi speed buffed and polished.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Both of my ElCaminos were red--Couldn't get that red off fast enough
My Ranger is red
Two colors I just despise are Red and Green

My 98 Chev is Green---my favorite truck in years
My Red Ranger--99% trouble free since new

Still not liking the colors, but respect for these two grow every day

Had a red 78 k10 years ago-----red out, red in, red every f***ing where.
Good truck but hated driving it as it actually affected my driving attitude.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 02D5AE43-8053-4114-9BC8-68CF8D19DF02
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 7F648AF5-D7C1-467F-B69A-86D5550ADF22
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 7BD5C282-5B2C-4EAF-A440-28C6B1E1F197
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection E0ACA928-DDCE-4411-888A-AF3F776FC8D7

This is the only rust I can find. Front wheel well.
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 3B6613E3-0CB6-4AFF-9E31-DF6432438A16
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection FBB7B6E6-066C-4D1F-BD8B-AA58BA6D6AED

Nothing noticeable in the rear wheel wells.
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 5C60747F-803B-4DBF-83F4-F51D6C0FC8D2

That’s the little scratch that I got from the car wash.

I am not a paint expert but I was trying to find some swirls to show from the car wash but I honestly couldn’t find any.

I’m pretty sure it would be a different story if I had proper lighting but From what I could see in that natural light there weren’t any swirls at all.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
I've never bought a new vehicle before, and I've never owned a vehicle worth putting this kind of money into protecting it's longevity, so I'm uncertain of what's a scam, and what's worth the money.

I've heard that most new vehicles come with an undercoating. I leave close to the ocean, so the air is humid and salty and when it does freeze it gets all kinds of nasty, so I'm considering an after market one, but don't want to waste my money.

Also, I've seen the ceramic coating for paint protection, but a friend of mine recommended a paint protection film saying they last longer and are more resilient.

Anyone with experience able to weigh in a little more? I've read through the other threads talking about ceramic coatings, but I want to at least learn about more options, and I don't really trust what I find with a random google search
Listen to Eric (handsome pic guy) !!!!!!
do NOT get a Undercoating that is PERMANENT !!! Rust will grow and you will never know!
I fluid film and I make sure it gets sprayed INTO THE FRAME rails! My opinion.Here is an expert.

Rob, you said,
"Also, I've seen the ceramic coating for paint protection, but a friend of mine recommended a paint protection film saying they last longer and are more resilient."

You asked about Ceramic. It is Expensive. If you love a nice shiny truck and keep it forever it might be worth it. It is amazing !
Clear Paint protection? Just be careful...you can not HI PRESSURE spray it.. You will try to get bugs off and you WILL TEAR the MATERIAL !!!! (I have used on headlights and part of the hood)
But, with a CERAMIC COATING the bugs can NOT get into the paint !!! You can spray those sucker right OFF !!!!

Last edited:

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Ford F-150 Under Coating and Paint Protection 5D7239D6-3A72-4024-B0FA-3ADD3796CA28

This is that membership I mentioned earlier. Ami really getting some ceramic treatment. I would honestly say it’s doubtful mostly because when I asked the attendant about it they,”when you smell that watermelon, that’s it, that’s the stuff”, lol. But when you think about it I’m spending $542/yr But my car is always shiny(hard to do in Canada Nov.-Apr.) and I have no visible swirls and rust on parts that will eventually need to be changed.

OP
OP

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciate all your input guys! Thanks!

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Listen to Eric (handsome pic guy) !!!!!!
I agree with Cetera too! ?

I've had lots of my new vehicles oil sprayed by Krown. In addition to spraying the entire undercarriage, they actually drill a few holes in your doors to get this stuff everywhere. It sounds scary but works well and really isn't an issue. It's a once a year thing and a bit messy for a day or two but I haven't had a speck of rust on my cars, even after several years of harsh Canadian winters and humid summers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since the F150 is aluminum, is it still necessary to get the underbody protection?
My understanding is that while the frame, etc is aluminum, there are pieces attached that aren't, and that the majority of those are underneath.

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Since the F150 is aluminum, is it still necessary to get the underbody protection?
One thing to keep in mind is that although aluminum doesn't rust it will corrode, a fluid film will mostly stop this. The other thing to remember is that the frame is steel along with several other undercarriage components that contain steel- fuel tank, exhaust, etc. Essentially it's just the body that's aluminum.