Sponsored

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Sounds like a wonderful trip, in a beautiful blue F-150 too! So glad you're enjoying your Truck!
Awesome post. Ive had my PLATINUM PB for a year . I love the utility of the generator. I love thd range of the truck with just 30 gallon tank. Best range ive ever had in a truck . Went with mild load in car 643 miles on one full tank from NY to southwest Virginia and had estimated range of 53 miles left when i filled up
Sponsored

muscleJack04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Ford Escape, Ford F150
Occupation
Engineer, Researcher
0C580E02-1F75-450F-9FB3-137E6119D5A4.jpeg

Sunset in the Badlands

Last month I took my 2021 Lariat Powerboost on the ultimate roadtrip: A 8600 mile journey from Orlando to Yellowstone National Park and back (stopping at many more parks along the way). I put as many miles on it in a month that I had on the odometer in the first year. This was the trip I had in mind when I bought the truck a year ago and overall I have to say it performed like a champ. In fact I’m so pleased that I am reconsidering my Lightning reservation which came up for order while I was out of town. My Powerboost feels like a keeper.

Route:
195399C9-CBC1-43B2-8A34-0FCE56937C83.jpeg

Orlando to Detroit (to pickup family): 16 hours driving
Detroit to Moab: 24 hours
Moab to Bryce Canyon: 5 hours
Bryce Canyon to Vernal, UT: 6 hours
Vernal, UT to Yellowstone: 8 hours
Yellowstone to Badlands, SD: 9 hours
Badlands to Detroit: 16 hours
Detroit to Orlando: 16 hours

We visited:
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Mesa Verde NP
Capitol Reef NP
Grand Staircase - Escalante NM
Bryce Canyon NP
Dinosaur NM
Grand Teton NP
Yellowstone NP
Badlands NP
Minuteman Missile NHS

Plus numerous other state and local parks and places of interest. I’d be happy to answer any questions on those parks if you are interested but I figure that most of you are looking for my thoughts on the truck.

BlueCruise

My BlueCruise was activated via OTA a couple months before the trip. I had limited experience with it on the local highways around central Florida before the trip but I was pleased with how it was going. This trip was a real trial for the feature as most of the distance traveled was on BC eligible highways (major sections between Utah to Yellowstone and Yellowstone to South Dakota were not limited access highways and therefore not eligible for BC). After many thousands of miles of BlueCruise driving I would say it worked great 96% of the time. The hands free feature was a great benefit for long road trips as I was able to relax a lot more and didn’t get tired as quickly as I might have with hands-on driving. In fact I did a lot more driving than I had planned as I was always quite fresh and my passengers didn’t need to back me up as often.

My observation is that when it couldn’t do hands-free driving was when the camera had issues seeing the road lines. This happened most commonly when the sun was in front of the vehicle or when the paint was very close in color to the road surface. Basically if I had difficulty seeing the lines with my eyes (due to glare or poor paint) then the truck couldn’t see them either.

There were also times when it asked me to put hands on the wheel but kept steering (hands-on BC) usually on tight curves. My experience here in Florida was that almost never happened but I had it happen a lot more often on various highways across numerous states. Road standards are really all over the place. My thought is that it’s really a case of the road curves being too tight for the truck to handle confidently and just wants your hands on the wheel for backup. I still rarely had to steer myself.

Overall I highly recommend BlueCruise and I’m glad I had it for this trip.

Gas Mileage

My hybrid Powerboost experience has been that my best mileage is usually around 50-60 MPH on flat Florida roads. In those conditions I have gotten 26-28 MPG. For this trip of mostly highway driving I wasn’t expecting that but I was quite pleased. By the end of the trip I had 22.4 MPH average on the display (I didn’t bother with any hand calculations). The worst mileage I saw on the whole trip was around 11MPG while driving 80MPH (the speed limit) through South Dakota with some high winds. My best was about 143 MPG…. driving down some mountains around Moab.

EE167D8F-E03D-49DD-8C8B-7890B8481595.jpeg

Trip Totals

0F1CDCB4-04ED-4F3A-A5A5-FA2CEB8BA3EF.jpeg

WOAH

Offroad

My truck has the FX4 package with no aftermarket modifications. Unfortantely I wasn’t able to do much off-roading. Many National Parks don’t have places where you can drive off road and the weather didn’t cooperate when we were in places that did (many rainy days in Moab). I did do a little including driving down the switchbacks of the Echo Park road in Dinosaur (before being forced to turn around due to oncoming rain). I tried out the various drive modes and used combinations of 4A, 4H, and 4L. Never had any issues and never got stuck.

Overall

My F-150 Powerboost was a great vehicle for this trip. Lots of space for people and stuff. Gas mileage was good and the range meant fewer stops for fill ups (only needed 2 full tanks to drive Orlando to Detroit, for example). The FX4 was more than enough for the driving we did on some mountain dirt roads and the tires held up well. No issues with the truck, like I said it handled all the driving like a champ.

It was an amazing trip and I’d love to head out west again sometime in the future and I would trust my truck to do it again.

74B0A859-753E-4A03-A506-833987659CF9.jpeg

Shafer Trail in Canyonlands

D7840A18-5934-442C-9EC4-BF51400B5FE8.jpeg

Arches NP

DBA1C9B1-D08C-4593-9BC7-FD99580B4AB8.jpeg

Mesa Verde NP

8F651AFB-E7B2-4552-A7EC-C04C26D122C2.jpeg

In the La Sal Mountains above Moab

06435CC5-279B-40D0-8A25-82D8B501B881.jpeg

Colorado River, Moab

4F53553E-FAD2-468B-BA5F-C814D04DE4E2.jpeg

Bryce Canyon

48BA96E9-C23F-42DC-9F38-9EDCD1EED3D9.jpeg

Echo Park Road, Dinosaur NM

5874529B-9533-486C-833D-3611906E872F.jpeg

Dinosaur NM

4649BBA1-0093-4071-B972-816C4BA33C15.jpeg

Old Faithful

D97D1151-D956-45C9-97EB-9467ED908459.jpeg

Grand Tetons

7E7DEF37-3046-4EF6-8481-36867DB6930D.jpeg

Lower Falls, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
Really cool... and really tough, although F150 is Built Tough
I wonder if there is any issue during such a long driving, like overheating something or tire problems.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist

Sunset in the Badlands

Last month I took my 2021 Lariat Powerboost on the ultimate roadtrip: A 8600 mile journey from Orlando to Yellowstone National Park and back (stopping at many more parks along the way). I put as many miles on it in a month that I had on the odometer in the first year. This was the trip I had in mind when I bought the truck a year ago and overall I have to say it performed like a champ. In fact I’m so pleased that I am reconsidering my Lightning reservation which came up for order while I was out of town. My Powerboost feels like a keeper.

Route:

We visited:
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Mesa Verde NP
Capitol Reef NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Dinosaur NM
Grand Teton NP
Yellowstone NP
Badlands NP
Minuteman Missile NHS

Plus numerous other state and local parks and places of interest. I’d be happy to answer any questions on those parks if you are interested but I figure that most of you are looking for my thoughts on the truck.

BlueCruise

My BlueCruise was activated via OTA a couple months before the trip. I had limited experience with it on the local highways around central Florida before the trip but I was pleased with how it was going. This trip was a real trial for the feature as most of the distance traveled was on BC eligible highways (major sections between Utah to Yellowstone and Yellowstone to South Dakota were not limited access highways and therefore not eligible for BC). After many thousands of miles of BlueCruise driving I would say it worked great 96% of the time. The hands free feature was a great benefit for long road trips as I was able to relax a lot more and didn’t get tired as quickly as I might have with hands-on driving. In fact I did a lot more driving than I had planned as I was always quite fresh and my passengers didn’t need to back me up as often.

My observation is that when it couldn’t do hands-free driving was when the camera had issues seeing the road lines. This happened most commonly when the sun was in front of the vehicle or when the paint was very close in color to the road surface. Basically if I had difficulty seeing the lines with my eyes (due to glare or poor paint) then the truck couldn’t see them either.

There were also times when it asked me to put hands on the wheel but kept steering (hands-on BC) usually on tight curves. My experience here in Florida was that almost never happened but I had it happen a lot more often on various highways across numerous states. Road standards are really all over the place. My thought is that it’s really a case of the road curves being too tight for the truck to handle confidently and just wants your hands on the wheel for backup. I still rarely had to steer myself.

Gas Mileage

My hybrid Powerboost experience has been that my best mileage is usually around 50-60 MPH on flat Florida roads. In those conditions I have gotten 26-28 MPG. For this trip of mostly highway driving I wasn’t expecting that but I was quite pleased. By the end of the trip I had 22.4 MPH average on the display (I didn’t bother with any hand calculations). The worst mileage I saw on the whole trip was around 11MPG while driving 80MPH (the speed limit) through South Dakota with some high winds. My best was about 143 MPG…. driving down some mountains around Moab.

Trip Totals

WOAH

Offroad

My truck has the FX4 package with no aftermarket modifications. Unfortantely I wasn’t able to do much off-roading. Many National Parks don’t have places where you can drive off road and the weather didn’t cooperate when we were in places that did (many rainy days in Moab). I did do a little including driving down the switchbacks of the Echo Park road in Dinosaur (before being forced to turn around due to oncoming rain). I tried out the various drive modes and used combinations of 4A, 4H, and 4L. Never had any issues and never got stuck.

Overall

My F-150 Powerboost was a great vehicle for this trip. Lots of space for people and stuff. Gas mileage was good and the range meant fewer stops for fill ups (only needed 2 full tanks to drive Orlando to Detroit, for example). The FX4 was more than enough for the driving we did on some mountain dirt roads and the tires held up well. No issues with the truck, like I said it handled all the driving like a champ.

It was an amazing trip and I’d love to head out west again sometime in the future and I would trust my truck to do it again.

Arches NP

Mesa Verde NP

Colorado River, Moab

Bryce Canyon

Dinosaur NM

Old Faithful

Grand Tetons

Wow, looks like a dream vacation. It really is almost the perfect road trip vehicle, especially if you utilize any of the perks, coffee maker or small air fryer to cook food on at a rest stop per se. It looks like you did in one vacation what many including me do in 10 years of vacationing. Pretty awesome, lots of memories for sure, I know many that you probably couldn't have the room to speak on here. Glad to hear people are enjoying their trucks.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Thank you for such a wonderful report. I can't wait to get out there with mine.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I prefer to fly to a location and then rent a car or RV and spend more time at the destionations and less time driving. Total cost for a trip is roughly the same either way.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I prefer to fly to a location and then rent a car or RV and spend more time at the destionations and less time driving. Total cost for a trip is roughly the same either way.
I understand that. I'm looking to purchase a 26' trailer and see the country that way now that I'm getting a bit older. If we don't take the dogs, my wife will worry and spoil the fun, so load 'em up and let's go!

OP
OP
Orlando150

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Maybe it would have been. But sometimes the journey is part of the fun.

I'll probably never do something like that again but I can now say I've been on a classic American cross-country road trip.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army

I'll probably never do something like that again but I can now say I've been on a classic American cross-country road trip.
You’re right the drive out to many of the national parks in the upper Midwest is definitely a fun adventure. I’ve done it a few times and I plan on making another trip to some of the parks in SD, WY, MT, and ND this coming September. It’s a beautiful country and I plan on driving out that way as long as I’m physically able to.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
That is true if are doing a single destination, such as Yellowstone NP/Grand Tetons NP.

But if you are on a month or two trip, you need your RV with you.

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Awesome. I was surprised by the fuel mileage, but I then noticed that your average speed was below 50 mph. We just got back from a 7200 mile trip, most of it on 70-80 MPH highways. Our average, with two people, two bikes, some skis/snowboards, and gear (no towing) was about 16.5 MPG.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

I'll be looking for that Blue PB FX4 Lariat around town!

Melipron

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Website
melipron.com
Vehicles
F150

Sunset in the Badlands

Route:

We visited:
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Mesa Verde NP
Capitol Reef NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Dinosaur NM
Grand Teton NP
Yellowstone NP
Badlands NP
Minuteman Missile NHS

BlueCruise

Gas Mileage

My hybrid Powerboost experience has been that my best mileage is usually around 50-60 MPH on flat Florida roads. In those conditions I have gotten 26-28 MPG. For this trip of mostly highway driving I wasn’t expecting that but I was quite pleased. By the end of the trip I had 22.4 MPG average on the display (I didn’t bother with any hand calculations). The worst mileage I saw on the whole trip was around 11MPG while driving 80MPH (the speed limit) through South Dakota with some high winds. My best was about 143 MPG…. driving down some mountains around Moab.

Trip Totals

WOAH

Offroad

Overall

Arches NP

Mesa Verde NP

Colorado River, Moab

Bryce Canyon

Dinosaur NM

Old Faithful

Grand Tetons

Thanks for sharing. Sitting at my desk, it's like I've taken a trip to a parallel universe. Totally satisfied. 😇
Sponsored