• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Uh, Oh... looks like the EV tax credits are hitting an obstacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson, Ford Maverick on order
That’s exactly the way it should be…US tax dollars should be used to help prop up US owned companies and/or provide an incentive for US made vehicles. Unions are responsible for the US losing Chrysler, bad cops, and bad teachers.

Don’t believe we should have used my tax dollars to prop up unions at auto manufacturers or public sector unions. Haven’t seen China go out of their way to give the US incentives In their auto market…same with the EU.
Purely anecdotal, but if the tax credit doesn't pass, I'll just stick with my Made-in-Mexico Maverick order. Pretty sure that's not the outcome either side of the aisle is looking for.
Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I remember not too long ago dealers were offering $10K to $15K off MSRP on almost every truck.

Remember before NAFTA where companies like Delphi were using American workers and US buildings and paying living wages?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I admit that I had a pretty good run of about 9 years of buy Mid-trim trucks with 12-14k off of MSRP.
Of course I got terrible tradein values compared to today, so the math really isn't apples/apples.
The current climate of demand higher than supply is quite the change regardless.

The one lemons/lemonade aspect is I have bought 2 much higher trim level trucks since the discount disparity between trims isn't what it was.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
A govt with common sense would tell Ford: "You've bragged all over the media that you have three years of reservations. Most of the reservation holders know that the current rebate program will run out in 2022. It seems that the original EV tax credit was a success. We achieved the desired results."

Ford's reply: "oops, you got me."

Let the X plan and deep discounts begin (y)

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I admit that I had a pretty good run of about 9 years of buy Mid-trim trucks with 12-14k off of MSRP.
Of course I got terrible tradein values compared to today, so the math really isn't apples/apples.
The current climate of demand higher than supply is quite the change regardless.

The one lemons/lemonade aspect is I have bought 2 much higher trim level trucks since the discount disparity between trims isn't what it was.
When did they started offering 10-15k off the MSRP? I know it was pretty common pre pandemic. I was looking at the sticker of my 2002 XLT supercrew 4x4 and it was about $32k. An XLT today is much more and besides cost inflation , MSRP creep is also a factor. Don’t think most people believed those list prices pre pandemic and assumed 10k off was a more realistic price.

Sponsored

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
A beautifully simplistic view of supply and demand, but there is a floor to that. Given the number of reservations Ford has for the truck, you really think they'd wind up taking $12.5k off the price just due to pressures of the free market? If they can sell 100% of what they make either way, you're certainly not getting an equivalent of the tax credit off the sticker price.
i do not want govt keep throwing taxpayers money into these games. Let the free market dictate value of the product. If ford can sell at full price why govt should offer tax incentives?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Well since almost anyone could walk into a dealership in my part of the country and get $10,000 off MSRP (including incentives) of an XLT 302A CrewCab pre-pandemic, but now pay MSRP (maybe minus some very reduced incentives) for the same truck...... Then MSRP is a real thing afterall?

Admittedly with many years in a row of huge discounts on the middle trim F150, you could start to conclude MSRP is not really MSRP. But these days it seems like maybe it was afterall?

Things change dramatically when the dealership you always purchased from had ~200 F150's on premises, but now has 10.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
When did they started offering 10-15k off the MSRP? I know it was pretty common pre pandemic. I was looking at the sticker of my 2002 XLT supercrew 4x4 and it was about $32k. An XLT today is much more and besides cost inflation , MSRP creep is also a factor. Don’t think most people believed those list prices pre pandemic and assumed 10k off was a more realistic price.
$32k in 2002 is the same as about $48-49k today. So seems that MSRP really hasn't gone up.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
i do not want govt keep throwing taxpayers money into these games. Let the free market dictate value of the product. If ford can sell at full price why govt should offer tax incentives?
Because it isn't about which is the best product from the buyers perspective, it is about what is needed to slow climate change. Free market economies are very bad about dealing with tragedies of the commons (pollution being a big one) so gov't has a role in correcting that market behavior for the betterment of society.

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I wish the Government would stay the hell out of the EV market. Stop trying to influence people’s decisions and lives. Open up the order banks and start building the Lightning.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
Because it isn't about which is the best product from the buyers perspective, it is about what is needed to slow climate change. Free market economies are very bad about dealing with tragedies of the commons (pollution being a big one) so gov't has a role in correcting that market behavior for the betterment of society.
tesla still selling and replaced Mercedes from spot 3 In luxury car market, even after tax credit ended. Free market works.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Purely anecdotal, but if the tax credit doesn't pass, I'll just stick with my Made-in-Mexico Maverick order. Pretty sure that's not the outcome either side of the aisle is looking for.
Ha, lots of cars & trucks are made in Mexico !

My work truck (GM) is made in Mexico and leaked around the windshield, controls modules failed, and bought back under lemon law...

I remember when Audi switched over to Mexico, that a lot of buyers said they would not buy them.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Oxymoron.

If our government had common sense they would stop massive deficit spending while inflation is approaching Jimmy Carter territory.

You mean like handing out EV credits?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.