First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Looks like the 'Vehicles Built From 7/6/2021" manual is for the Raptor, where the other manual is standard F-150 models.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I just noticed that there are two different owner's manuals on the Ford website, one for F-150s built up to 7/5/2021 and one for those built from 7/6/2021.
Anyone have a clue as to the difference?

From: https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/F-150/2021/owner-manuals/

1636610915170.png
My dealer said that the only accurate owner's manual for my specific VIN is the one accessible from the touch screen. No paper manual. Was also told by same dealer that the online manuals are general ones and may not be accurate for my specific truck. Came up when I asked why the power tailgate drops remotely but must be closed manually on my 502A Lariat. The online manual showed it operating remotely both ways but the touchscreen manual said down only.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Came up when I asked why the power tailgate drops remotely but must be closed manually on my 502A Lariat. The online manual showed it operating remotely both ways but the touchscreen manual said down only.
That's weird. The one on my 502A Lariat definitely both opens and closes via the remote.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I took a quick look at the second version of the manual. It's about 100 pages longer than the first version. The second version seems to have all that was in the first version plus added pages for the Raptor and Police version. I didn't know there was a Police version of the F-150.

Sponsored

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's weird. The one on my 502A Lariat definitely both opens and closes via the remote.
Power close is a separate ($695) option from the 502A package.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Power close is a separate ($695) option from the 502A package.
OK, fair enough. I looked more closely. The option is listed as Power Liftgate, not Power Close. But a closer look does show that the Remote Tailgate Release is standard on all Lariat regardless of package. And that doesn't appear to be mentioned differently in the on-line pdf manual I have or in the car-based one.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
OK, fair enough. I looked more closely. The option is listed as Power Liftgate, not Power Close. But a closer look does show that the Remote Tailgate Release is standard on all Lariat regardless of package. And that doesn't appear to be mentioned differently in the on-line pdf manual I have or in the car-based one.
Agreed, the manual was confusing on this. I was told the power down only tailgate is different than the power up/down. Down only just needs something hydraulic to slowly lower the tailgate. To go up, motors are needed.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I too was a bit confused on power lift. Fortunately my salesman knew and explained it. Note that with the power lift you also get the tailgate step and work surface. I bought it for the lift which I now can live without but love it for the step which has been a lifesaver.

Sponsored

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I too was a bit confused on power lift. Fortunately my salesman knew and explained it. Note that with the power lift you also get the tailgate step and work surface. I bought it for the lift which I now can live without but love it for the step which has been a lifesaver.
How funny. I got it on my Lariat for the step but am now loving the power lift.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Since we are talking power remote tailgate, mine lowers fine but not so slowly. So I tried to order a viscous dampener cartridge in July for the tailgate through the dealer. Part is listed in Ford accessories. Dealer parts guy said the Lariat already has it and won't order it. I called Ford in Detroit and their rep said the Lariat does not have it and it is an accessory I can order. I want to use points for it but this has become a major headache. Anyone used points to order online from Ford accessories? I don't see that option.

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Since we are talking power remote tailgate, mine lowers fine but not so slowly. So I tried to order a viscous dampener cartridge in July for the tailgate through the dealer. Part is listed in Ford accessories. Dealer parts guy said the Lariat already has it and won't order it. I called Ford in Detroit and their rep said the Lariat does not have it and it is an accessory I can order. I want to use points for it but this has become a major headache. Anyone used points to order online from Ford accessories? I don't see that option.
DeeZee makes an excellent tailgate dampener, Ive had em on all my trucks and they work really well. Price is lot less than the OEM one

Last edited:

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I have a '21 501A Lariat and it does have the damper. I ordered the OEM damper for my XLT a couple of years ago from Amazon. Seems as though it was around $65. I preferred the OEM model because it is hidden behind the right taillight....where as most of the after market dampers are mounted externally.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
DeeZee makes an excellent tailgate dampener, Ive had em on all my trucks and they work really well. Price is lot less than the OEM one
Thanks!
Sponsored