Sponsored

Twin Turbo Pickup Wars: EcoBoost vs. I-Force

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Damn, ya'll fellow ColoRADans are getting better MPG than I am with my Powerboost. Dash currently showing 19.2mpg I believe. I did put on some slightly larger than stock BFG K02s, but I'm not getting near the est 24mpg city/hwy/combined and I don't really stomp on it
Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
That Tundra looks like a large mouth bass with its mouth wide open.
Agreed! To each their own but butt ugly comes to mind for me. Another big issue for me is lack of flat floor in the back seat.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
South end of a horse facing north.....

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I still think it looks like some shit that turns into Voltron, which is appropriate; since in all its currently available configurations, the Tundra is a toy and not a truck.

Ford F-150 Twin Turbo Pickup Wars: EcoBoost vs. I-Force 6ADC9324-312B-424D-95C7-0EA9152CF572

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
I have a very hard time knowing my overall MPG. I have been using a generator almost every day for the past month. Running two campers off of it about half the time. That figures into the overall MPG. It shows 17.5mpg for the life of the truck. Before I was at 22 MPG and still climbing. I'd say overall I'm very close to the 24. I had the 3.5 in my last truck, this one seems to get 4 -5 mpg better under the same driving conditions. A trip from Colorado Springs to Gunnison through Canon City it got 22.8mpg. The same trip back through Woodland Park got 25.9mpg. That was on just the second tank of gas. The Powerboost really like those downhill runs if you play the brake to get it into electric. 2 to 3 light taps on the brake pedal will put it into electric. I just wish there was some way to cut the overall mileage calculation off when running the generator and the truck is sitting in neutral.
Last weekend I averaged 107MPG on a 17 mile drive. It didn't hurt that it was descending Mt. Evans at 14,000' then East towards Denver on I-70.

Scotty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did another 7K lb tow up to Kenosha pass (10,200') over the weekend. Plenty of power to keep up with traffic (3.5 EB). I have found that limiting the tranny from shifting up and keeping the turbos on boost (RPMs drop below 3,000 going uphill) really improves mileage. Average 11.8 MPG. It also help to have tranny in tow mode.

When not towing I am now averaging 21.8 mpg. But, I do not accelerate hard, just keep up with traffic.

5,800 miles on the truck. I think the mileage has also improved as everything is probably broken in.

I only use 91 octane.

Very happy with the power and towing of this truck. It has the 3.73 rear end with tow package. Hope it remains reliable.

Last edited:

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Last weekend I averaged 107MPG on a 17 mile drive. It didn't hurt that it was descending Mt. Evans at 14,000' then East towards Denver on I-70.
Great LOL. I never got that good. Best I remember is 20+ mile trip from Woodland Park down to my house in Colorado Springs I got 52 MPG.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i

I wonder how much of it is due to the weight of the tire compared to the tread of the tire. For example, what impact would a Load Range E Michelin Defender LTX MS2 have on MPG compared to the Load Range E KO2s. I think the Michelin Defender LTX MS2 is only 10lbs heavier.

Sponsored

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Yea they are E rated, and weigh 58lbs each.

Stock 20's (Hankook Dynapro AT2) were 42lbs each, so I added ~16lbs per corner.

That said, I go camping and on trails out here in CO so I wanted a tire with a strong sidewall, especially compared to those stock Hankooks. Have to give up a few mpg's for the increased strength. I think my last tank was over 20mpg average (per dash and hand calculated) so I'm not getting terrible mileage, just wish the tires only knocked off 1-2 instead of 4+ mpgs.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
People buy Toyota trucks to have the most reliable vehicles being made. Everything else is secondary when making the purchase decision. I have owned four 4WD Toyota pickups and gone everywhere that friends have gone with the CJ5 and CJ7 Jeeps. After putting more than 170,000 miles on each of these trucks I sold them and at that time everything in the truck worked perfectly. No gear box whine or play in the steering and no issues with any of the electronics.

I cannot say the same for my Ford and Chevy and Ram/Dodge pickups. Even my 2022 F-150 already has 3 recall notices and is not safe to drive in the rain with the wiper motor that can fail without warning, and the emergency brakes may activate with no warning.

I bought the F-150 to get the utility package with the rear pop-out step and grab bar. The Tundra has the worst setup for getting up and back down from the bed of the truck of any of the manufacturers and as someone who actually uses his truck as a truck this was very important.
Sponsored