Sponsored

Twin Panel Moon Roof?

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
I'm new to these, but i've heard they have a bad rep. I'm unsure if these open like a sun roof? If they do, can i avoid leaking issues by just not using the feature at all? I see a lot of nice used trucks for sale and wasn't sure if the moon roof should be a deal breaker. I dont really care if it has it or doesn't have it, i just dont want issues out of it. Thank you!
Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
the only leakage I've experienced in five trucks and three explorers is in some touchless carwashes with the powerful spray (only for the moment when the spray is directly above the joining seam, i feel a minor "mist" if I have the shade open) i've also made the dumbass mistake of opening the sunroof and stopping when theres water up there, but that's my stupidity, not the trucks

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I wanted one so I added it but that being said, go in with expecting routine maintenance. You need to keep the seals lubricated so they don't dry up and also periodically check and clean the drain tubes.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
The sunroof on my 2018 jammed partially open and broke something. I had to wedge credit cards in between the two panels and force it back down slowly while hitting the switch multiple times. I tried opening in again and it did the same exact thing. I deleted the sunroof option on my 2021.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
I have had the moonroof in my 18 and 19 ---so 4 years and some, ZERO issues and I use it everyday--I will not buy a vehicle without a moonroof period!!!!

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have a 2010 Venza with the full moonroof, similar to the Ford one. I have never had an issue with it.

My only wish is they came with the glass that would let you electronically dial in the "hazing" or "fogging" to block the sun but still let in light.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Most are trouble free like mine. I love it and would never own a daily driver without one. Here in New England, my roof is open if it's over 50 degrees and I am going under 50 mph lol.
But I'm under no illusion it will always work perfectly. It may require repairs at some point, either for leaking or operation. If you are the type to constantly worry about it leaking or breaking, probably best to avoid.

Bob Violence

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A FX4 Powerboost
No issues with any of my previous vehicles that had them, but on my current F150, I specifically DID NOT want one. As I live in Houston (Satan's Asscrack) it would just be closed 99% of the time, as the sun/heat bakes you. Just something to consider if it's worth the $1,400 price. If you are in a nicer part of the world, it may be worth it to you.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Like stated above as long as you maintain the seals every couple of years you should be fine. I have never had issues with mine on any of the vehicles we have had. The only thing that would cause me to pause is if the truck is outside all the time especially in a hot climate but even then I'd probably get it :)

Martzman

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor, 2018 F150
Occupation
Construction
I've had some fairly minor issues in the past with them, but nothing too serious or costly. That said, I'd probably opt not to get them if it doesn't matter to you. If I didn't care either way, I probably would have been a little peeved with even with minor problems I encountered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
Thanks for the input! It's not exactly something i have to have, but i didn't know if it should be a deal breaker if i were to find a nice used truck that has the option already.

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
Search this forum for sunroof leak. Multiple user have reported major issues. Enough to make you second guess getting the moonroof.
Sponsored