Sponsored

Turn Off Honking When Exiting and Idling?

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
@2AActuary here are links to the latest FORscan software download and an awesome tutorial for getting started. I take zero credit for this info; user "Livinitup" on another forum is pretty much an authority on this software and its use on the F150. He also maintains a spreadsheet with all module settings that are known to be editable (there's not much listed at this time since the gen14's apparently have a lot of backend differences from the older lines).

This is the OBD reader I use. It seems to be the most recommended and works perfectly on all my vehicles, but to be fair - I've never tried any others. I grabbed mine from Amazon for a lot less (around $60 I think) years ago... not sure if this link is overpriced or if it's just inflation, but you might want to shop around a bit! When I bought mine, it came with free F150-specific modules for the OBDLink iOS app which is a cool toy. It also works with other mobile apps, but again - only to READ data (not WRITE to make changes). For my 2018, I had configured a dashboard I'd use when towing to show real-time data for gear, torque, engine load, etc. that was pretty handy (no longer needed with my new truck :cool:).
I haven't picked up my truck yet-probably next week. Can I just ask the dealer service dept. to turn off the double beep and turn on bambi mode (I'm rural) or does Ford not allow this. Thx.
Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Can I just ask the dealer service dept. to turn off the double beep and turn on bambi mode (I'm rural) or does Ford not allow this.
You can definitely ask, but I suspect it's going to come down to how flexible your rep is. In the technical sense, FORscan allows end-user access to programming that is typically exclusive to certified techs, so I imagine most dealers will STRONGLY discourage its use (I honestly understand why, as I can see people causing major problems if they use it irresponsibly).

That being said, FORscan has been around a long while, and I guarantee most, if not all of the techs and sales reps are using/have used it on their own fords. I liken it to "jailbreaking" an iPhone... it's a very common procedure, but still something that's taboo enough to avoid talking about freely in an Apple store. Since you're asking in a sales context (vs. a service request post-purchase), your rep might be more willing to make the changes. I'd just ask him informally and see what response you get.

I had to add a trailer brake controller to my 2018. I didn't realize until after I installed it that the system had to be "reprogrammed" in order to use it... my dealer was happy to do that - for $250! With 10 minutes of research and 5 minutes with FORscan, I had it enabled and working perfectly. Granted, if I had ANY idea how many hours it was going to take me to get that dammed dashboard apart and reassembled, $250 might have seemed like a steal - but the point remains that there's an obvious conflict of interest in dealers "supporting" FORscan use (both in terms of lost revenue AND potential liability).

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
there's an obvious conflict of interest in dealers "supporting" FORscan use (both in terms of lost revenue AND potential liability).
On that same note: I believe a lot of owners will also use FORscan to retrofit their trucks with OEM parts after purchase. Things like adding tow mirrors, motorized running boards, heated steering wheel, etc. can be done by purchasing the parts and reprogramming modules with FORscan at a fraction of the price of having them installed by the dealer. I'm personally not knowledgeable or brave enough to dive that deep, but it's just an example of why you're unlikely to find much "official" tuning support from Ford dealers...

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
You can definitely ask, but I suspect it's going to come down to how flexible your rep is. In the technical sense, FORscan allows end-user access to programming that is typically exclusive to certified techs, so I imagine most dealers will STRONGLY discourage its use (I honestly understand why, as I can see people causing major problems if they use it irresponsibly).

That being said, FORscan has been around a long while, and I guarantee most, if not all of the techs and sales reps are using/have used it on their own fords. I liken it to "jailbreaking" an iPhone... it's a very common procedure, but still something that's taboo enough to avoid talking about freely in an Apple store. Since you're asking in a sales context (vs. a service request post-purchase), your rep might be more willing to make the changes. I'd just ask him informally and see what response you get.

I had to add a trailer brake controller to my 2018. I didn't realize until after I installed it that the system had to be "reprogrammed" in order to use it... my dealer was happy to do that - for $250! With 10 minutes of research and 5 minutes with FORscan, I had it enabled and working perfectly. Granted, if I had ANY idea how many hours it was going to take me to get that dammed dashboard apart and reassembled, $250 might have seemed like a steal - but the point remains that there's an obvious conflict of interest in dealers "supporting" FORscan use (both in terms of lost revenue AND potential liability).
I hope my rep is flexible. I have purchased 4 Fords from him in the last 5 yrs and will probably buy a Mach E next year. I thought the dealer would have similar OEM software that Forscan emulates and would be easy for them to do. Another software change I would like is leave the radio play for more than 3 minutes with key in aux. I could play the radio for 4 hours in previously vehicles w/o issues. Can Forscan do that? If dealer won‘t mod I’ll buy an MX2. Thx.

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
@2AActuary here are links to the latest FORscan software download and an awesome tutorial for getting started. I take zero credit for this info; user "Livinitup" on another forum is pretty much an authority on this software and its use on the F150. He also maintains a spreadsheet with all module settings that are known to be editable (there's not much listed at this time since the gen14's apparently have a lot of backend differences from the older lines).

This is the OBD reader I use. It seems to be the most recommended and works perfectly on all my vehicles, but to be fair - I've never tried any others. I grabbed mine from Amazon for a lot less (around $60 I think) years ago... not sure if this link is overpriced or if it's just inflation, but you might want to shop around a bit! When I bought mine, it came with free F150-specific modules for the OBDLink iOS app which is a cool toy. It also works with other mobile apps, but again - only to READ data (not WRITE to make changes). For my 2018, I had configured a dashboard I'd use when towing to show real-time data for gear, torque, engine load, etc. that was pretty handy (no longer needed with my new truck :cool:).
Great info. Thank you!

Sponsored

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
Back on the original point of this thread, I agree that the double beep is asinine. What's even worse is that there is already a loudspeaker installed for projecting the pedestrian repellent (white noise) and the backup alert. There is no reason the exit-while-running alert has to be the horn. Hell, it could a pleasant voice simply stating that "your vehicle is running." Having the horn honk feels like someone just phoned it in that day.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner

Thanks for posting this info. I used it to set up a few items on my 2021 Powerboost XLT Sport 4x4. I'd like to confirm a couple settings that were listed as "Unconfirmed" on the spreadsheet. I also noted a couple changes that worked for me on my XLT. Obviously there may be differences between models but feel free to use if it helps.
One curiosity, I used Forscan on my 2018 to set most of the same things plus the window lowering/raising with the key FOB. I don't see that info on the latest sheets. Anyone know the settings or modules? Kind of a bummer that the Key FOB won't allow me to raise or lower them anymore!
Lastly, I now also get a warning from Forscan that my ELM327 is a 'fake'! It never told me that 2 years ago. Perhaps the newer Forscan version is more sensitive? Anyway, I was still able to use it to make the changes I needed - mostly for the turn signal/hyperflash noise. FYI - the bulbs still flashed at normal rate since the computer does the timing. It's the fake turn signal 'click' that hyperflashes on the dash and the clicking sound. Kind of annoying but better to have the computer fix it vs. some ridiculous resistors!

Double Horn Honk disableBCM726-63-02xxx0xxxxxx--disables double honk when exiting running vehicle
I can't recall but I think this was the same as on the sheets.

Fogs on when high beams are on (aka Bambi Mode)BCM726-39-0201010000006ACONFIRMED - to set Bambi mode on XLT
The sheet showed to use '00' to allow Bambi but it's backwards. Use '01' on the last two places of the first set of numbers.

Keyfob Panic ButtonBCM726-62-01x1xxxxxxxx--CONFIRMED - 0=disabled, 1=2 clicks, 2=one click (default)
Requires two clicks of the FOB to activate Panic alarm. No more false presses in the pants!

Rear Turn Bulb Outage DetectionBCM726-44-02000000000074CONFIRMED - 0=disabled 1=enabled - set to disabled when upgrading to LED
Initially, the spreadsheet showed 2=disabled. This did not work. I tried '0' which did.

Also - I've used Sylvania Zevo 3157R LED bulbs in my 2018 and now in my 2021. They work perfectly, are quick, bright, and on the 2018, the clear reverse was extremely bright. Much more so than the new Factory LED's. I kind of wish Ford had left all 3 bulbs the way they previously were. The LED's are nice but just don't get as bright as the Zevo bulbs. I find backing up more difficult in my 2021 now. The camera helps but I like to turn my head and look and the light just isn't enough. I may add some additional LED's. More to come on that.
But - here's what you have to do to use the Zevo 3157R's: When I pulled the stock bulb out Ford is using a Sylvania bulb but it's go weird numbers on it. Probably a Ford PN? I couldn't cross it with anything. I think Ford tried to keep people from running aftermarket bulbs because I couldn't get the 3157R's to fit! Then I noticed the socket Ford is using is not a normal 3157 socket. The sides have two bumps on them that the Factory bulbs don't have. So the socket is just a tad narrower. I simply ground off the tabs on the sides and they press into the socket firmly.

Ford F-150 Turn Off Honking When Exiting and Idling? IMG_6855_LI

Ford F-150 Turn Off Honking When Exiting and Idling? IMG_6857_LI

Last edited:

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Per 1975 Magnuson Moss US federal law, the dealer must prove that the specific modification you made caused the specific problem to occur in order to not honor a warranty.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have not used this, but I do like it. This is great for that single issue if you do not want to go the forscan route. Easily flip back and forth if you want that notification sometimes but want it off other times.
Sponsored