Turbos and Mufflers (and Bears, oh my!)

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I'm currently driving a turbo diesel from 2007 (early common-rail, no SCR system, but does have a DPF).

This vehicle did not come with a conventional muffler - it had a dinky little "resonator" at the rear. I learned that a muffler is not required on turbo diesel exhaust, because the turbocharger itself is the noise-mitigation device. The replacement exhaust I put on it didn't even have a place to connect a muffler.

All legal. If you have a Turbo, with no Muffler, don't worry about Bears.

Question: does the same thing apply to gasoline turbocharged engines? Is it legal to delete your muffler (as long as you don't live in California)?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I've been researching this question, and there are many variables. No simple answer, apparently.

Yes, it's true that a muffler is NOT needed for noise mitigation when a turbocharger is employed

"With the turbochargers installed at the very rear of the vehicle, no additional mufflers were needed. The turbos’ restriction serves to reduce the exhaust note."
- https://www.musclecardiy.com/perfor...r-supercharged-and-turbocharged-applications/

However, state laws have different definitions regarding "noise mitigation". Some states just outright forbid exhaust modifications, others actually measure the noise output in decibels.
- https://www.semasan.com/resources/exhaust-noise-laws-state

I find it interesting that my Jeep, which never had a muffler, was sold legally in the state of Texas, where the law states:

"§ 547.604. Muffler Required

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle."

Even after I had installed my MBRP exhaust, which visibly did not have a muffler, I passed state inspection 4 times!

I think I'm going to remove my muffler when I get my Ford truck, and see what happens.

Gen14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Its going to be loud but it is legal.
Sponsored