Sponsored

Turbo wastegate actuator position sensor faults.

MDmann

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SXT 4x4 supercrew 2.7EB
Occupation
Superintendent
My recent bout with the waste gate. RH turbo waste gate was replaced yesterday. I was in a rental car for 3 weeks. I love the truck but man for my first brand new truck I’ve ever bought, it had 3700 miles and has been in the shop a total of 3.5 weeks. I bought it in May.

Two times for the same issue. I live in FL and we have a lemon law. If it happens again I’ll be starting that process.

Hopefully between the wastegate and the up coming program patch that will fix it. I truly love the truck, but this is irritating.
Sponsored

Harry Dangler

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired
My recent bout with the waste gate. RH turbo waste gate was replaced yesterday. I was in a rental car for 3 weeks. I love the truck but man for my first brand new truck I’ve ever bought, it had 3700 miles and has been in the shop a total of 3.5 weeks. I bought it in May.

Two times for the same issue. I live in FL and we have a lemon law. If it happens again I’ll be starting that process.

Hopefully between the wastegate and the up coming program patch that will fix it. I truly love the truck, but this is irritating.
The new Toyota Tundras has a 3.5 litre option and they are having waste gate problems. One guy on their forum said he had 84 miles on his truck before it failed and here's the kicker they have to pull the engine or take the body off the frame to change it :mad:

MDmann

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SXT 4x4 supercrew 2.7EB
Occupation
Superintendent
The new Toyota Tundras has a 3.5 litre option and they are having waste gate problems. One guy on their forum said he had 84 miles on his truck before it failed and here's the kicker they have to pull the engine or take the body off the frame to change it :mad:
Holy Cow. That’s why I hope my truck works out. I don’t want a Chevy and the Tundra would be the only other option.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
Just got back from picking up my truck. Svc. Dept. incvoice below. They found one code the same as @Jesse-Infotainment found, P2AB9. And they found code P0243 (but no P2AB7). I googled and found OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description for P0243 is Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction. This is a generic powertrain/engine diagnostic trouble code. It does seem to fall in line what what was going on.

They replaced the drivers side wastegate actuator and the factory pigtail. pic of invoice below. No CEL, no SES light, no wrench light. It ran fine for the 4 mile surface street drive home. I'll see how it goes.
Ford F-150 Turbo wastegate actuator position sensor faults. F150 Invoice 220908

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
Well you can add me to this club. Damn. Only got 5000km on it. Came up last week and cleared by itself. Just came up again this afternoon. Turbo’s currently disabled.

Already booked into the dealer to look at this.

Interesting to note it happened the very first time I drove in the rain. The other thread linked on this thread mention it started happening to someone else after a carwash. Possible shorted Pcm.

I’ve also had a couple of one off electrical ’funnies’, a false rear proximity alarm when reversing (nothing near me), and a forward collision alert warning.

Can I temp clear these codes to get my turbos back?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT super crew 4x4 2.7 EB
Occupation
Technician
Disconnect the negative post on your battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. Has worked everytime for my truck. With that being said, dealerships would prefer that your truck is currently displaying faults on the dash when you bring it in. So if its feasible, leave it in limp mode until the dealership gets it. If it's not feasible, just disconnect battery and reconnect, and let them go off of stored codes. Also would like to state that my first occurrence of this issue was also during or right after a high moisture event....

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Disconnect the negative post on your battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. Has worked everytime for my truck. With that being said, dealerships would prefer that your truck is currently displaying faults on the dash when you bring it in. So if its feasible, leave it in limp mode until the dealership gets it. If it's not feasible, just disconnect battery and reconnect, and let them go off of stored codes. Also would like to state that my first occurrence of this issue was also during or right after a high moisture event....
Didn’t work for me. I can’t clear the fault. And have to wait over a week to get into the dealer. Put a code reader on it. Getting P2AB9 $07E8. Can’t clear the codes either. Not happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Update.
After a week at the dealership I came back from vacation to pick up my truck with nothing new found out. Was told Ford is aware of this issue and should have a solution for it come October, same bulletin posted earlier on this thread. So now we wait and see, fingers crossed this gets straightened up.

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Didn’t work for me. I can’t clear the fault. And have to wait over a week to get into the dealer. Put a code reader on it. Getting P2AB9 $07E8. Can’t clear the codes either. Not happy.
You might actually have a better shot at figuring out the issue at hand than most. If your malfunction is current and can't be cleared that should mean that the issue should be identifiable for a tech. Fingers crossed yours gets sorted out soon, but I'm extremely curious what the fault is with yours, please keep us posted.

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well unfortunately the fault cleared before my dealer appt. Took it into today and they confirmed the stored codes. Quoted the service bulletin referenced earlier in this thread. Basically waiting for this Oct fix.

Dealer did say to bring it in immediately if the fault occurs, no appt necessary, a d they will have another look.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Any updates yet from anybody? Has the repair/patch been released yet? Was an hour away from home tonight and truck went limp mode again, just got done driving a long ways with no cruise control and struggling to make it up hills. I gotta say, I'm getting really tired of this BS.

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Afraid not. Waiting for my truck to do it again.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Any updates yet from anybody? Has the repair/patch been released yet? Was an hour away from home tonight and truck went limp mode again, just got done driving a long ways with no cruise control and struggling to make it up hills. I gotta say, I'm getting really tired of this BS.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
New software is out! Just had it reprogrammed by my dealer, fingers crossed gents!
Sponsored