Sponsored

Turbo wastegate actuator position sensor faults.

deedar87

First Name
Deedar87
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL Crew Cab 2.7L Ecoboost
New software is out! Just had it reprogrammed by my dealer, fingers crossed gents!
Have you had the issue again? My son’s truck has 3800 miles and just did this again for the 3rd time while he was on his way to college. The dealership hasn’t returned our call yet.
Sponsored

BassBoatBlue

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I just got the same wastegate code and have to drive it 700 miles before Monday. New truck from mid September with 1700 miles on it. F-150 eco boost XLT. I’m very happy to see that it’s likely something I can drive with. Just hope I can clear the code and get cruise control back for at least part of that trip back home …

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
You can drive with it, but your turbos will be crippled so very sluggish, and no cruise control.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Anyone had any luck clearing the codes related to this issue with a OBDII dongle (OBDLINK MX, HP Tuners, etc) ?

I would like to be able to clear this code on the fly if possible. Just planning ahead. Haven't had the issue yet on my truck.

Sponsored

jsorr95

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Just wanted to start a little something here for everyone's benefit, just in case some poor soul out there is dealing with the same problems I am.
Back story : just got my 22 F150. I've had it 5 weeks now. 2.7EB, 4x4, super crew, and 302A pack. That's it, the only addition I made on top of the 302A was a 36 gal tank, and a built in brake controller. Aside from the sync and heated seats it's a fairly plain truck.

The problem: @ 1661 miles, service engine soon light comes on, promptly followed by a CEL and heavy derating of the engine. I freaked out, turned around and went home. Pass app says turbo wastegate actuator position sensor OR associated wiring harness fault. Alright, whatever. Shit happens right? I've been wrenching on Ag/industrial stuff for about 8 years now, I know this stuff happens. Disconnect battery, let sit for an hour, come out, reconnect, and fire it up. CEL still present, full power returned, CEL clears after a few key cycles. I decide that regardless of this, I still take truck in, have them go through it, and print me a very detailed list of everything annotated by their tech. I was good to go.

@2481 miles, this very morning, same malfunction. Not surprised at all. Call up dealer, made an appointment and I told them to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Can't get me in till Friday the 9th of Sep, but it's whatever. This time I'm not disconnecting the battery, so I have a full work week and a day ahead of me with no cruise and NO power. It'll be a bit rough haha.

I know the wastegates aren't seized. They can be moved slowly by hand. Have heard stories of other folks out there getting new turbo/actuator sets and still having the problem return. Idk, I'm skeptical, but I feel like this might be a harness or ECM problem... Who knows! Hopefully I find out in a few weeks and have some solid answers for everyone. I'm curious and very sad at the same time. This is my very first NEW vehicle. I've always loved the 2015+ trucks (I live in Wisconsin, no worries about rust with the aluminum) which was the largest selling point to me when shopping. And I did my due research on the 2.7, was storied to be just an absolute tough as nails power house. But now I'm depressed, truck make no more whoosh 😢 haha, I'll be back in a few weeks hopefully for an update, fingers crossed I get solid data about this malfunction.
sorry I’m late to the party, i had the same issue a month back. They went through the truck assured me there was no mechanical issues and that it was just a software update. I got a letter from ford saying they’ll have the update in October….nothing yet.
Just wanted to start a little something here for everyone's benefit, just in case some poor soul out there is dealing with the same problems I am.
Back story : just got my 22 F150. I've had it 5 weeks now. 2.7EB, 4x4, super crew, and 302A pack. That's it, the only addition I made on top of the 302A was a 36 gal tank, and a built in brake controller. Aside from the sync and heated seats it's a fairly plain truck.

The problem: @ 1661 miles, service engine soon light comes on, promptly followed by a CEL and heavy derating of the engine. I freaked out, turned around and went home. Pass app says turbo wastegate actuator position sensor OR associated wiring harness fault. Alright, whatever. Shit happens right? I've been wrenching on Ag/industrial stuff for about 8 years now, I know this stuff happens. Disconnect battery, let sit for an hour, come out, reconnect, and fire it up. CEL still present, full power returned, CEL clears after a few key cycles. I decide that regardless of this, I still take truck in, have them go through it, and print me a very detailed list of everything annotated by their tech. I was good to go.

@2481 miles, this very morning, same malfunction. Not surprised at all. Call up dealer, made an appointment and I told them to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Can't get me in till Friday the 9th of Sep, but it's whatever. This time I'm not disconnecting the battery, so I have a full work week and a day ahead of me with no cruise and NO power. It'll be a bit rough haha.

I know the wastegates aren't seized. They can be moved slowly by hand. Have heard stories of other folks out there getting new turbo/actuator sets and still having the problem return. Idk, I'm skeptical, but I feel like this might be a harness or ECM problem... Who knows! Hopefully I find out in a few weeks and have some solid answers for everyone. I'm curious and very sad at the same time. This is my very first NEW vehicle. I've always loved the 2015+ trucks (I live in Wisconsin, no worries about rust with the aluminum) which was the largest selling point to me when shopping. And I did my due research on the 2.7, was storied to be just an absolute tough as nails power house. But now I'm depressed, truck make no more whoosh 😢 haha, I'll be back in a few weeks hopefully for an update, fingers crossed I get solid data about this malfunction.
Sorry I’m late to the party. Had the same issue a month back. They ran through the truck assured me nothing was wrong and it’s just a software update. I got a letter from ford saying no damage would be done if I continued to drive it. They guaranteed the update in October….nothing yet.

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT super crew 4x4 2.7 EB
Occupation
Technician
Have you had the issue again? My son’s truck has 3800 miles and just did this again for the 3rd time while he was on his way to college. The dealership hasn’t returned our call yet.
I've put about a thousand miles on sale nice software patch and everything seems to be in good working order so far.

Apsmith4992

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Just got the same code on my truck, Was bout 200 miles from home and lost my turbos in chicago traffic for a whole weekend. Not fun at all. Made an appointment today and the best they could do was the 10th for just a diagnosis. Going to be a fun 10 days with no turbos.....

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
At about 3000 miles since software update now, no problems as of this time. From what I gathered from the tech there was a small batch of trucks that left factory with bad software causing the issue. Something to do with tolerance of measured resistance from the Eastgate actuator. New software expands on allowable tolerance, fixing problem. Hope everyone gets there issues resolved!

P-cubed

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Caravan, Ranger, Edge
Uh oh, CEL and wrench came on today. Ford Pass says waste gate\ reduced power. Little to no turbo power. Gas mileage increased (haha).

2022 Lariat 4x4, 2.7EB, 5400 miles, ordered in February and delivered in June.

Sponsored

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Geologist
Same issue on a 3.5L ecoboost, dealerships prognosis - replace the entire turbo assembly

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I'm close the 7k miles since update, no problems. Can confidently say the software fixed the issue.

tag1399

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 501A
I'm late to this thread but I had this same problem in July, 2 weeks into ownership. They replaced the entire right turbo on mine and no problems since, up to 13k miles now...however I'm interested in this software update, I might need to look into this to avoid it happening again!
Sponsored