Sponsored

Turbo wastegate actuator position sensor faults.

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT super crew 4x4 2.7 EB
Occupation
Technician
Just wanted to start a little something here for everyone's benefit, just in case some poor soul out there is dealing with the same problems I am.
Back story : just got my 22 F150. I've had it 5 weeks now. 2.7EB, 4x4, super crew, and 302A pack. That's it, the only addition I made on top of the 302A was a 36 gal tank, and a built in brake controller. Aside from the sync and heated seats it's a fairly plain truck.

The problem: @ 1661 miles, service engine soon light comes on, promptly followed by a CEL and heavy derating of the engine. I freaked out, turned around and went home. Pass app says turbo wastegate actuator position sensor OR associated wiring harness fault. Alright, whatever. Shit happens right? I've been wrenching on Ag/industrial stuff for about 8 years now, I know this stuff happens. Disconnect battery, let sit for an hour, come out, reconnect, and fire it up. CEL still present, full power returned, CEL clears after a few key cycles. I decide that regardless of this, I still take truck in, have them go through it, and print me a very detailed list of everything annotated by their tech. I was good to go.

@2481 miles, this very morning, same malfunction. Not surprised at all. Call up dealer, made an appointment and I told them to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Can't get me in till Friday the 9th of Sep, but it's whatever. This time I'm not disconnecting the battery, so I have a full work week and a day ahead of me with no cruise and NO power. It'll be a bit rough haha.

I know the wastegates aren't seized. They can be moved slowly by hand. Have heard stories of other folks out there getting new turbo/actuator sets and still having the problem return. Idk, I'm skeptical, but I feel like this might be a harness or ECM problem... Who knows! Hopefully I find out in a few weeks and have some solid answers for everyone. I'm curious and very sad at the same time. This is my very first NEW vehicle. I've always loved the 2015+ trucks (I live in Wisconsin, no worries about rust with the aluminum) which was the largest selling point to me when shopping. And I did my due research on the 2.7, was storied to be just an absolute tough as nails power house. But now I'm depressed, truck make no more whoosh 😢 haha, I'll be back in a few weeks hopefully for an update, fingers crossed I get solid data about this malfunction.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
PS, I did look all over for related threads WITH a resolution, didn't have any luck, so if there IS a thread out there already, with a resolution, I am terribly sorry.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I gave someone yesterday the Bulleting in regards to this. Ill post it here so more people can .

They claim it is not an issue. They say to clear the codes and continue to drive until they have a solution forthe issue

Ford F-150 Turbo wastegate actuator position sensor faults. {filename}

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
Howdy,
I have some info that may help you.... I have a very similar issue, 20 day old truck, 450 miles. Truck is very similar to yours.
There are a couple threads, titled differently than yours here, but seem like the same issue. One seems to be POwerboost related...
Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

And below is from a PM conversation I had with a member who helped out someone on one of those threads.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, hoping this is the correct way to PM. I've been perusing the forum for a few weeks since I got my truck. Tons of good info. My truck is a '22 F150 4x4 Lariat SCrew 2.7EB 145" . Ordered in April, got it on Aug. 9. I got the wrench light Monday afternoon, the "Service Engine Soon" warning on the dash, and the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power alert in FordPass. I certainly did not expect to be searching for info on a malfunction so soon.
I found two threads regarding Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power. In one thread that seems to be directed at Powerboost trucks, your name is referenced and you helped that person greatly. I posted a reply to the other thread that didn't seem directed at Powerboost. Again, I'm new to the forum so hope I posted correctly.

I wanted to ask if you know anything about the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power code on non-PowerBoost trucks?

Here's a cut and paste from my reply from yesterday morning so you don't have to search for it.
This happened to me last night, 20 days old and 456 miles on it.
The Service Dept. where I bought it was already closed, so I called them this morning as soon as they opened. Soonest appointment they have is Friday morning.
No heavy use or towing, no 4x4 operation, etc. I'm still breaking it in. I had just gassed it up for the first time and just got on the highway. A message displayed on the instrument panel and the wrench light came on. I was 75 miles from home. The "What should I do" message said "Powertrain fault has been detected, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible"... So I drove it in Reduced Power mode with no issues. No other noises or detectable malfunction.
I checked this morning, wrench light is still on. CEL is on now but wasn't last night.

Any info is appreciated.

I sent him my VIN at his request, below is what he found-

Looks like you have an issue They claim is not an issue. They say to clear the codes and continue to drive until they have a solution forthe issue

I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I can share what the outcome is when I get it back.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Hmmm, interesting. Btw, do I need to adjust settings on my phone to view the images attached above?

Mkellg1

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same problem. 2022 F150 STX w/ 3100 miles. Waiting to hear back from the dealership. Totally demoralized I have a brand new truck and have this crap happen.

To those that have had this fixed how long did it take? Is it doable to repair in one day?

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Hmmm, interesting. Btw, do I need to adjust settings on my phone to view the images attached above?
I'm not seeing the images either and I'm on a computer.

Sponsored

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thinking….
I just copy/pasted from the pm conversation with @Jesse_Infotainment… assumed it would work.
I’ll use the attach file button here shortly

OP
OP
AFrench7

AFrench7

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Can see it well now. Sure enough, problem that's not a problem yet alright. Says expected solution in October of this year. I sure hope that's right, I'm not sure how long I'd be willing to put up with every third week trips to a dealership just to maintain driveability.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:
Service Engine Soon light, CEL and Wrench light were all on when I dropped it off this morning.
Service Dept. just called... They confirmed the problem. I told them about the DTC's P2AB7 and P2AB9, they confirmed they saw those as well. The Service Writer says the technician thinks its the Turbocharger Bypass valve causing those DTC's on the wastegate. They want to keep it longer so the tech can troubleshoot more. If it is the TC bypass valve, they likely will need to order parts. The tech wants to continue troubleshooting today, and with the 3 day holiday weekend upon us, they asked if they could keep it until Tuesday. They did ask if it was a big inconvenience. It is very disappointing that this is happening on a 24 day old truck now with only 500 miles on it, but fortunately (I think?) I am in a position right now that I don't need the truck. My wife and I are just traveling a short distance this weekend and will use her car. If I got a loaner, it would just be sitting in the driveway anyway.

More to come....
Sponsored