First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I just got my 21 Lariat PB 502A back from the dealer. I brought it in for the whining sound and most importantly the bucking uphill and under load in high gear.
The verdict, the whine is a “normal characteristic” of the PB electric motor. According to the tech it is not the tranny. I am not surprised by this at all. It’s exactly what I expected to hear, but I got a case number and now have it documented just in case.
More importantly the bucking uphill has been addressed. I’m hoping like hell it sticks, but this thing has never ran better. Smooth power al the way through. No bucking or hesitation. A small mountain I go over for my daily commute brought out the worst with the problem. I had to lock out 9 and 10 in order to not feel it buck, but even at that I could still feel it slightly.
now it climbs the hill in 9th and dropped to 8th just before the crest. All as smooth as smooth can be. The turbos only spooled slightly. When all was said and done, it tackled the climb like I was pulling out of my driveway.
I am once again reminded why I love this farm truck so much! Despite all of the debugging and hiccups, it is still without question the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Darn truck, not farm truck! Not that there’s anything wrong with being a farm truck. However my two tomato plants hardly qualify me as a farmer.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I was about to say, got you a real nice farm truck!! Lol. Same experience here with that TSB - night and day. I’m like 5,000 miles post TSB and it’s still running great.

As far as your whine, the electric motor does make a lot of noise as it’s not direct drive like most hybrids/EV’s. It has to spin as an input to the torque converter, so you’ll hear it spinning at an “idle” speed when first starting the truck or initially setting off from a stop

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The latest PCM update for the Powerboost is by far the most refined yet. For any Job 1 '21 owners that haven't gotten the PCM updated, I highly recommend it as you'll get improved shifting and hybrid system usage.

OP
OP

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I could not agree more. My truck has never run better.

Sponsored

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Is this an OTA update or do I need to take it into the dealership?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
OP
OP

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
This was a dealership trip. No OTA for this one that I am aware of.
Sponsored