First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone installed the Weathertech folding hard cover type tonneau cover?
I can’t find a local dealer with an Extang in the showroom, and I’m sure not going to buy it sight unseen!
I’ve seem the Bakflip MX4 and the Weathertech unit.
Guidance and advice comrades?
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Went ahead and ordered the Xtang solid fold 2.0. Now the race is on, which will arrive first: truck or cover.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
When I was searching for covers I damn near pulled the trigger on the diamondback HD but was turned off on the weight and the inability to seal perfectly AND allow for auto up/down for the tailgate. Got the bakflip mx4. Once I actually get my truck I will let you k lnow how it goes haha.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
If you are going to put bikes and racks over the bed I would think that any of the 3 fold or 4 fold bedcovers wouldn’t work with them in place. I’ve been using a Retrax since 2013 with my bike rack, kayaks and Thule box with the ability to open the top if needed

Sponsored

Corsini77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Retrax Pro XR. Checks all of your needs off except easy off. It can be done, but not meant to be. A few clamps and entire system lifts out. Has rack mounting system, keeps out water and dust with tailgate seal, will not fade very easy as it’s UV protected aluminum, lockable, tailgate opens and closes while it’s shut, and looks great.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
My F-150 is finally in transit so I'm trying to pull the trigger on a tonneau cover. This is my' first truck, and I've read all the threads and dozens of reviews but have mostly ended up just as indecisive as when I started. I'm the classic "subruban truck guy" that's going to do Lowes/HD runs for lumber, mulch, etc. Take the kids camping, drive out to mountain biking and hiking locations, and use it as a general purpose vehicle vs. a legit "working" truck.

I'd like something that:
  • Still allows the auto open (and ideally close) to work with the tonneau closed
  • Allows a rack to be installed on top/over it. I forsee some trailer camping in our future, so our current hitch rack won't work so I'd ideally have gear in the bed, covered by the tonneau, with a rack for bikes over it. I've seen some pictures of this type of setup but it's unclear what that actually requires
  • Does a decent job keeping out moisture
  • Can be removed by one person without undue complexity
  • Is OK being on a "outside truck" in the hot southern sun
I'm leaning towards a trifold (Lomax?) or hard rolling cover (Bk x4S?) but then I see something like the Diamondback and wonder if that's a better option although a step up in price.

Thanks for any advice!
I am still looking myself and am considering all the three you mentioned. From what I have found so far, the Dimandback should be more waterproof than the other two given it is using a compresed weather strip. You can mount a accessory track or just bolt the mounts (eg bike). However, you will not be able to lift the cover if you have items on the racks. If you want to carry a lot of weight on the cover, the HD version is the way to go.

The Lomax and X4S do not come with a racking system. They do leave the stake pockets available so something like the Access ADARAC racks would work. If you go with the Lomax tonneau, get the PRO version of the ADARAC as it will allow the Lomax to be opened with load on the racks. The other rack I am considering is the Leer HF650M. It is a quad fold that does not cover the 3rd brake light when opened against the cab and has a more secure release mechanism (two tabs that need to be pushed together rather than a string the is pulled).

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going with the Retrax Pro XR. I reached out to Realtruck based on the recommendation of the "other" F150 forum so hoping to get it ordered and then we'll have a race to see whether my F-150 or my Tonneau arrives first!

Next step will be to decide on the racking system, but that can come later.

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
Just wanted to put my two cents in that the OEM Bakflip hard trifold mostly doesn't allow for the powered tailgate to come up and latch correctly. I've only had it succeed a couple of times, generally it hits the edge of the weatherseal and comes back down. You could bend the weatherseal up to allow for it to close but then you'd end up with a gap between the seal and the top of the tailgate.

Corsini77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going with the Retrax Pro XR. I reached out to Realtruck based on the recommendation of the "other" F150 forum so hoping to get it ordered and then we'll have a race to see whether my F-150 or my Tonneau arrives first!

Next step will be to decide on the racking system, but that can come later.
You will not be disappointed. It will impress you as it did myself when you get it on. Quality is not comparable to anything in its segment.

Sponsored

PWRGEN

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Hybrid 4wd Max Tow
Occupation
Real Estate
My F-150 is finally in transit so I'm trying to pull the trigger on a tonneau cover. This is my' first truck, and I've read all the threads and dozens of reviews but have mostly ended up just as indecisive as when I started. I'm the classic "subruban truck guy" that's going to do Lowes/HD runs for lumber, mulch, etc. Take the kids camping, drive out to mountain biking and hiking locations, and use it as a general purpose vehicle vs. a legit "working" truck.

I'd like something that:
  • Still allows the auto open (and ideally close) to work with the tonneau closed
  • Allows a rack to be installed on top/over it. I forsee some trailer camping in our future, so our current hitch rack won't work so I'd ideally have gear in the bed, covered by the tonneau, with a rack for bikes over it. I've seen some pictures of this type of setup but it's unclear what that actually requires
  • Does a decent job keeping out moisture
  • Can be removed by one person without undue complexity
  • Is OK being on a "outside truck" in the hot southern sun
I'm leaning towards a trifold (Lomax?) or hard rolling cover (Bk x4S?) but then I see something like the Diamondback and wonder if that's a better option although a step up in price.

Thanks for any advice!
I went through the same process. I have a 21 F-150 XLT Crew Cab Hybrid Powerboost with the 7.2 kw generator and 5.6 foot bed. I wanted to be able to put on a Thule sliding rack so I needed a flush mount or below the rail mount cover to not interfere with the installation of the bed rack. I decided on the Truxedo ProX15 model 1497701 $540 on Amazon and love it. It is a rollup. I also have a tent that installs into and over the bed rails for camping and it did not interfere with the cover when rolled completely up. The tent worked flawlessly on the trip I just finished. It was the Napier Model Backroadz tent for full size truck short bed 5.5-5.8 feet bed. I decided to not get a hard cover since completely folded up it will block rear view out rear cab window. Easy to install, no drilling. Took a little longer than the You tube video demonstration of 20 minutes but I did by myself.

Just got back from a long road trip over 1,000 miles through rain storms and it has been through the carwash. Very little water got in, basically at the corners but any little bit was channeled down through the bed rails under the carpet mat I purchased for the bed floor. The bed floor I purchased is Bedrug Bed mat BMQ15SCS about $175 on Amazon. It is waterproof and will not absorb water. Easy on knees and I did not buy the tailgate mat did not feel I need and don't miss it. Hope that helps.

PWRGEN

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Hybrid 4wd Max Tow
Occupation
Real Estate
Also, my tailgate has the lowering button on the key fob and the dash board and works great. Just make sure you close tailgate first then close down the cover lastonto the the top of tailgate for proper seal.

EF150man

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Space White, 2.7l, moonroof, 20"wheels
Occupation
Retired
I went with this quad fold hard cover from "China"-zon.com:ROFLMAO: The cover seems very sturdy and i installed it by myself in about 30 minutes. So far I have had no problem with the opening/closing of my tailgate. The cover was under $500 and will get its first long trip test next week. I will report back.

Ford F-150 Trying to find the light at the end of my tonneau search Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.26.59 PM

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That looks pretty cool! It's hard to tell in the video, but it's one of the "hard rollers" that goes into a "box" in the front of the bed, right? So you lose that ~8-10" of bed space by the cab?
you don’t lose floor space, and you gain the crossbar rack system. They do take up about eight inches at the very top front, can be removed in a pinch - I di that once. I have used them in my last eight pickups, never found them intrusive. Strong enough to stand on, super-easy to open and close, wouldn’t have any other.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
you’ll be happy. expensive, but worth it
Sponsored