Trying to find the light at the end of my tonneau search

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I went through the same process. I have a 21 F-150 XLT Crew Cab Hybrid Powerboost with the 7.2 kw generator and 5.6 foot bed. I wanted to be able to put on a Thule sliding rack so I needed a flush mount or below the rail mount cover to not interfere with the installation of the bed rack. I decided on the Truxedo ProX15 model 1497701 $540 on Amazon and love it. It is a rollup. I also have a tent that installs into and over the bed rails for camping and it did not interfere with the cover when rolled completely up. The tent worked flawlessly on the trip I just finished. It was the Napier Model Backroadz tent for full size truck short bed 5.5-5.8 feet bed. I decided to not get a hard cover since completely folded up it will block rear view out rear cab window. Easy to install, no drilling. Took a little longer than the You tube video demonstration of 20 minutes but I did by myself.

Just got back from a long road trip over 1,000 miles through rain storms and it has been through the carwash. Very little water got in, basically at the corners but any little bit was channeled down through the bed rails under the carpet mat I purchased for the bed floor. The bed floor I purchased is Bedrug Bed mat BMQ15SCS about $175 on Amazon. It is waterproof and will not absorb water. Easy on knees and I did not buy the tailgate mat did not feel I need and don't miss it. Hope that helps.
It does indeed help and I also ordered the exact same mat so glad to hear you like it.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Went ahead and ordered the Xtang solid fold 2.0. Now the race is on, which will arrive first: truck or cover.
Cover won the race, why am I not surprised.

Ford F-150 Trying to find the light at the end of my tonneau search 639C24F1-F8EF-44DE-8608-42BE1443666C

Dmaxison

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT CC/6.5/3.5EB 302A
Has anyone installed the Weathertech folding hard cover type tonneau cover?
I can’t find a local dealer with an Extang in the showroom, and I’m sure not going to buy it sight unseen!
I’ve seem the Bakflip MX4 and the Weathertech unit.
Guidance and advice comrades?
The Weathertech unit is exactly the same as the Lomax tri-fold. They’re both made by Agri-Cover Inc.

I purchased the Lomax B3010029 with the Urethane Finish. I believe there’s 3 finish options as well. Overall I’m very happy with my purchase. Seals well, looks great compared to Bak-Flip and others, low profile, tool-less removal, gutter-less design, etc.

I had considered Diamondback and Renegade but both were outside my budget. I also didn’t care for the commitment when installed. I live in the rust belt so fasteners tend to loose their rust preventative treatments soon after their first use. So future hardware replacement would be necessary every time the cover is needed to be removed.

Peragon was the other contender but after some review I felt the water resistance was inferior to most due to the large number of seams. I did not see any convincing testimonials from the snow belt. So not sure how well it performs in these conditions. Like the idea of “automotive” like matching finishes but the cost creep is pretty steep when optioned out.

Good luck narrowing down what fits your use case the best!

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
The Weathertech unit is exactly the same as the Lomax tri-fold. They’re both made by Agri-Cover Inc.

I purchased the Lomax B3010029 with the Urethane Finish. I believe there’s 3 finish options as well. Overall I’m very happy with my purchase. Seals well, looks great compared to Bak-Flip and others, low profile, tool-less removal, gutter-less design, etc.

I had considered Diamondback and Renegade but both were outside my budget. I also didn’t care for the commitment when installed. I live in the rust belt so fasteners tend to loose their rust preventative treatments soon after their first use. So future hardware replacement would be necessary every time the cover is needed to be removed.

Peragon was the other contender but after some review I felt the water resistance was inferior to most due to the large number of seams. I did not see any convincing testimonials from the snow belt. So not sure how well it performs in these conditions. Like the idea of “automotive” like matching finishes but the cost creep is pretty steep when optioned out.

Thanks so much!

Honeybadger

First Name
Zero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘17 Explorer Platinum ‘17 Fusion Energi Platinium
In the same boat... first truck coming as I’ve ordered new gen 3 raptor.... been between peragon and the retrax. Still unsure which way I’m going to end up going on this.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB

I just got my LoMax in yesterday, very happy with it so far. The tailless removal was rhe main selling point for me. I take it off a fair number of times here and there, and being able to do that in about 30 seconds is a huge plus to me.
I sprung the extra $30 or so for the urethane finish.

Ford F-150 Trying to find the light at the end of my tonneau search 1625306917855

Ford F-150 Trying to find the light at the end of my tonneau search 1625306944038

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
you’ll be happy. expensive, but worth it
Thank you for your thought on the Retrax Pro XR. I end up needing to take the cover off my current pickup at least once a month. How difficult is it to take this cover off?

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Thank you for your thought on the Retrax Pro XR. I end up needing to take the cover off my current pickup at least once a month. How difficult is it to take this cover off?
I have done it twice in using them on six pickups. It isn’t really designed for regular removal. It can be done but becomes fragile when off, requires two people to put on, take off, or move around. Only takes five minutes because all adjustments remain in place. There are drain tubes that go into the plastic grommets in the front bed wall, so fairly involved, but goes quickly after you’ve already installed it and know how it works. I wouldn’t use this top if planning regular removal. But I don’t understand why I needs to come off for most users.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I have done it twice in using them on six pickups. It isn’t really designed for regular removal. It can be done but becomes fragile when off, requires two people to put on, take off, or move around. Only takes five minutes because all adjustments remain in place. There are drain tubes that go into the plastic grommets in the front bed wall, so fairly involved, but goes quickly after you’ve already installed it and know how it works. I wouldn’t use this top if planning regular removal. But I don’t understand why I needs to come off for most users.
Maybe removing it monthly is excessive, but the one I currently have takes 2 minutes to remove and easy to do myself. The one I currently have folds, but the portion by the cab is about 1.5 foot wide and it doesn't flip up, so that limits what can go in the back even with it folded up. The times I remove it are when hauling yard debris, hauling gravel or stone (dumped in from a loader), and hauling a bunch of stuff from a rental house after some remodeling (saws, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, stacked Beverly Hillbilly style). And, if I have something tall, I like strapping it down next to the cab for extra support. That doesn't work with my current cover. However, I think there times that I take off my current cover that I wouldn't need to with something like the Retrax Pro XR.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Maybe removing it monthly is excessive, but the one I currently have takes 2 minutes to remove and easy to do myself. The one I currently have folds, but the portion by the cab is about 1.5 foot wide and it doesn't flip up, so that limits what can go in the back even with it folded up. The times I remove it are when hauling yard debris, hauling gravel or stone (dumped in from a loader), and hauling a bunch of stuff from a rental house after some remodeling (saws, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, stacked Beverly Hillbilly style). And, if I have something tall, I like strapping it down next to the cab for extra support. That doesn't work with my current cover. However, I think there times that I take off my current cover that I wouldn't need to with something like the Retrax Pro XR.
If you're going to take it off regularly, I wouldn't get the Retrax. 2 people needed and kinda annoying to do honestly.

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
i wanted to get the retrax, but ended up getting the truxedo pro x15 because it has a quick-release latch that removes it and gives 100% access to the truck bed. I also am buying an inflatable topper (you read that right) from getflated.com.

This is the most versatile your truck bed can get: 100% access when hauling, a sleek tonneau for everyday use/looks/security, and an easily installed/removed camper shell for camping.
Sponsored