Sponsored

Trying to decide between two 2021 F-150 Platinum Hybrids... looking for input

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
New to this forum. I'm looking to significantly upgrade from my 2015 F-150 XLT. I have my eye on two 2021 F-150 Platinum Hybrids. One is Agate black with the black interior and the other is Star White with the Carmelo interior. Both are spec'd pretty much the same except the Agate black Platinum has max recline seats and the partitioned folding storage. I'm looking for input from others who own these exterior and interior colors since I haven't seen either in person. None of the dealerships with an hour of me ever carry Platinum or Limited trims. Also, looking for feedback on the max recline seats (are the worth it?) and the folding storage. Any input is appreciated and I hope I'm driving one of these very soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I would love to give you feedback on your questions, but my truck is not due to arrive for another two weeks or so. I have a white Platinum coming with the Carmelo interior and the fully reclining seats. My wife is handicapped so the full reclining seats are a must have for us. I personally don't like the all black interior, so we went with Carmelo seats. I have had similarly colored interiors in the past so I am not concerned about that at all.

Good luck with your decision. You will likely be driving yours before mine arrives.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would love to give you feedback on your questions, but my truck is not due to arrive for another two weeks or so. I have a white Platinum coming with the Carmelo interior and the fully reclining seats. My wife is handicapped so the full reclining seats are a must have for us. I personally don't like the all black interior, so we went with Carmelo seats. I have had similarly colored interiors in the past so I am not concerned about that at all.

Good luck with your decision. You will likely be driving yours before mine arrives.
I got lucky and found two that are in transit. I've put a deposit on both to reserve them. I've never had anything other than black, but my wife has light tan/cream leather in her SUV and it made me rethink getting black since I like hers. The max recline seats aren't a deal breaker for the White with Carmelo, but I'm curious what people think of them.

igor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost
i have the carmelo interior - no max recline or work station. I LOVE the carmelo interior - it really feels so much more luxurious and. .... expensive. I've had black the last 6 years in my 2 F-150s - this is an awesome change.

I have 2 child car seats, so did not get the max recline (cause I'll never use it), and don't have work bench (even if i need to work on a laptop in the car, the idea of twisting my body and neck to stare down for more than 5 min does not sound good).

so my needs might be different than yours re max recline and bench - but even if i wanted them, they're eclipsed by that carmelo interior.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I got lucky and found two that are in transit. I've put a deposit on both to reserve them. I've never had anything other than black, but my wife has light tan/cream leather in her SUV and it made me rethink getting black since I like hers. The max recline seats aren't a deal breaker for the White with Carmelo, but I'm curious what people think of them.
@SuperClyde,

This is inherently a subjective subject, with no right or wrong. It’s a matter of personal taste. ?

I was strongly leaning toward the Carmelo and test drove it back in December.

When I brought my wife and teenage daughters for a second drive, they immediately panned it, saying that it had too much orange in it. My daughters added that the Special Black interior (saw on-line) looked more elegant. It also had Carmelo trim and Carmelo accent stitching so that worked for me! I ordered mine Jan 2 (Smoked Quartz; Special Black) and am hoping to get it in early May.

Tough decision but a good one to have! Best of luck, Clyde!

Sponsored

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i have the carmelo interior - no max recline or work station. I LOVE the carmelo interior - it really feels so much more luxurious and. .... expensive. I've had black the last 6 years in my 2 F-150s - this is an awesome change.

I have 2 child car seats, so did not get the max recline (cause I'll never use it), and don't have work bench (even if i need to work on a laptop in the car, the idea of twisting my body and neck to stare down for more than 5 min does not sound good).

so my needs might be different than yours re max recline and bench - but even if i wanted them, they're eclipsed by that carmelo interior.
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I would ever use max recline either, but nice to have just in case I guess. I love the pictures and videos I've seen of Carmelo, but Black is a safe bet. Both have the workbench, but the White one doesn't have the foldable storage under the back seat.

Honestly, though it really comes down to the interior color. I'm just torn and I doubt I'll have a chance to look at both before I have to decide.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@SuperClyde,

This is inherently a subjective subject, with no right or wrong. It’s a matter of personal taste. ?

I was strongly leaning toward the Carmelo and test drove it back in December.

When I brought my wife and teenage daughters for a second drive, they immediately panned it, saying that it had too much orange in it. My daughters added that the Special Black interior (saw on-line) looked more elegant. It also had Carmelo trim and Carmelo accent stitching so that worked for me! I ordered mine Jan 2 (Smoked Quartz; Special Black) and am hoping to get it in early May.

Tough decision but a good one to have! Best of luck, Clyde!
You are correct it is subjective. The fact that I can see one in person is why I'm asking for the feedback, so thank you for yours. How is the wood grain accents with black leather? I read comments saying it looks ugly/fake in person, but others saying it looks great. Another one of those subjective things I guess.

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Wish I had my truck to advise on the full recline seats but it's not due in until next week. I ordered the FRS and probably will not use them often, but they are an inexpensive option that if you use once or twice during ownership you will have paid for them. Over the years we have encountered areas of no available hotel rooms due to a special event. When your dog tried and need to stop, a rest area and those seats would look good.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
You are correct it is subjective. The fact that I can see one in person is why I'm asking for the feedback, so thank you for yours. How is the wood grain accents with black leather? I read comments saying it looks ugly/fake in person, but others saying it looks great. Another one of those subjective things I guess.
I never saw the Platinum in black leather, only a Lariat. I bought it sight unseen, as there were none within 100 miles of me at the time. I considered it a small risk to take.

There are other posters on this Forum who have reviewed their Special Black Platies, so you may want to reach out to them.

Apologies for not being of more help.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I never saw the Platinum in black leather, only a Lariat. I bought it sight unseen, as there were none within 100 miles of me at the time. I considered it a small risk to take.

There are other posters on this Forum who have reviewed their Special Black Platies, so you may want to reach out to them.

Apologies for not being of more help.
I'm in the same situation. The two I put a deposit on are 1.5 to 2 hours away. It might just be a situation where if I like the first one that arrives I'll buy it since who knows if I'll will like the second more. Not like I wouldn't be happy either way.

Sponsored

Sacbone

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited in Star White
Occupation
Retired from printing, engaged in Real Estate management
I do not have full recline. I did see a you tube video about the review driver complaining about seat bottom support riding his ass. I noticed it did have full recline seats/ Before I purchsed my truck I felt for this "support" and did not find to be an issue. Remember I do not have full recline.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
My Platinum PB is due to arrive at the dealer on Saturday. Mine is Antimatter Blue with Carmelo interior and max recline seats. Never considered the black interior. Folding storage was a plus. The lighter interior is a plus for me with the dual pane sunroof, especially in the summer.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Black is nice but obviously hard to keep clean and doesn't hide defects. I don't have max recline (don't really want it, I won't be sleeping in the truck) but I do have the foldable storage and really like it. With this storage, I'm able to get away without a box in the back. I can put tools, straps, extension cords, etc in the foldable storage and it's hidden. Really nice option for about $200.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black is nice but obviously hard to keep clean and doesn't hide defects. I don't have max recline (don't really want it, I won't be sleeping in the truck) but I do have the foldable storage and really like it. With this storage, I'm able to get away without a box in the back. I can put tools, straps, extension cords, etc in the foldable storage and it's hidden. Really nice option for about $200.
Out of the two features the White with Carmelo doesn't have (max recline and folding storage) I think I would much rather have the folding storage. I wonder if this can be added after purchase. I know WeatherTech makes aftermarket storage, but would prefer OEM.

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I would ever use max recline either, but nice to have just in case I guess.
Really
Have you NEVER taken a nice long nap in your cab??
Sponsored