Trying to be a happy customer

Laconic Guy

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A Max Tow (on order)
Upgraded my 2016 Lariat High Package Max Tow to pretty much the same build (2021 Lariat 502A Max Tow). Ordered on 2/25 and truck was delivered to dealer on 4/26 (got super lucky based on the experiences others are having with delays). Dealer prepped the truck and delivered to my door step the next day (Dealer is 90 minutes away from me and offered to delivery on flatbed truck as a courtesy)

After much anticipation and excitement, I've been really let down by the dealership and quality of the truck. I will share my experiences so far:

-After tracking the truck via Ford's website, I was the one who had to inform the dealer that my truck was delivered. Not a big deal but something to note for the dealer.
-Truck was delivered on the 26th, dealer prepped truck and delivered to my house the next day (I acknowledge the great service there).
-Truck showed up with a terrible detail job (swirl marks, scratches on dent, tree sap caked into the clear coat that I am unable to remove without scratching the paint)

That's just first world cosmetic stuff I can deal with. However the issues below are what is of concern to me:

-Truck has stalled on me 4 times. Once during a left turn into oncoming traffic that left me compromised (luckily nothing happened)
-During stall, I lose acceleration all engine power for about 30 seconds and then it comes back.
-After the stall, I don't have much acceleration power and the AC starts blowing warmer air.
-5 minutes in to each drive, I get the following service alerts: Pre-collision Assist Not Available, Service AdvanceTrac, Reverse Brake Assist Not Available, and Service Vehicle Soon

Prior to experiencing the stalls, I emailed the dealer my concerns about the service alerts. The initial response I received was "I spoke with Service and they said for you to drive it a couple of Days. If it doesn't go away it may need to be reset." I found that response to be a bit dismissive and I didn't realize that security features not working are part of the "break-in" process?

After I experienced the stalls, I informed the dealer that I am no longer driving the truck as I feel it's a safety hazard. Especially with having two kids. The dealer quickly agreed to pick up my truck on Monday to have it towed back to the dealership for further inspection.

Anyone have a similar issue with intermittent stalling while driving? Does a "reset" solve the problems? Could the service alerts be a reason for the lack of power when accelerating? I'm aware of the Lemon law, but how do I know this truck is not up to quality standards? I guess I don't know what I don't know in terms of making sure that when the truck is returned its at 100%.

I'm willing to give the dealer/Ford an opportunity to fix this, but I just get the feeling this was such a rush job from A to Z and the truck was not thoroughly tested and prepped.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Upgraded my 2016 Lariat High Package Max Tow to pretty much the same build (2021 Lariat 502A Max Tow). Ordered on 2/25 and truck was delivered to dealer on 4/26 (got super lucky based on the experiences others are having with delays). Dealer prepped the truck and delivered to my door step the next day (Dealer is 90 minutes away from me and offered to delivery on flatbed truck as a courtesy)

After much anticipation and excitement, I've been really let down by the dealership and quality of the truck. I will share my experiences so far:

-After tracking the truck via Ford's website, I was the one who had to inform the dealer that my truck was delivered. Not a big deal but something to note for the dealer.
-Truck was delivered on the 26th, dealer prepped truck and delivered to my house the next day (I acknowledge the great service there).
-Truck showed up with a terrible detail job (swirl marks, scratches on dent, tree sap caked into the clear coat that I am unable to remove without scratching the paint)

That's just first world cosmetic stuff I can deal with. However the issues below are what is of concern to me:

-Truck has stalled on me 4 times. Once during a left turn into oncoming traffic that left me compromised (luckily nothing happened)
-During stall, I lose acceleration all engine power for about 30 seconds and then it comes back.
-After the stall, I don't have much acceleration power and the AC starts blowing warmer air.
-5 minutes in to each drive, I get the following service alerts: Pre-collision Assist Not Available, Service AdvanceTrac, Reverse Brake Assist Not Available, and Service Vehicle Soon

Prior to experiencing the stalls, I emailed the dealer my concerns about the service alerts. The initial response I received was "I spoke with Service and they said for you to drive it a couple of Days. If it doesn't go away it may need to be reset." I found that response to be a bit dismissive and I didn't realize that security features not working are part of the "break-in" process?

After I experienced the stalls, I informed the dealer that I am no longer driving the truck as I feel it's a safety hazard. Especially with having two kids. The dealer quickly agreed to pick up my truck on Monday to have it towed back to the dealership for further inspection.

Anyone have a similar issue with intermittent stalling while driving? Does a "reset" solve the problems? Could the service alerts be a reason for the lack of power when accelerating? I'm aware of the Lemon law, but how do I know this truck is not up to quality standards? I guess I don't know what I don't know in terms of making sure that when the truck is returned its at 100%.

I'm willing to give the dealer/Ford an opportunity to fix this, but I just get the feeling this was such a rush job from A to Z and the truck was not thoroughly tested and prepped.

Thoughts?
Maybe that is why they delivered on a Flat Bed truck as it was not safe to drive.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4

Thoughts?
Seems like many of the "Dealership" horror stories come from Florida.

I'm dealing with a small town dealer here in N. Cal. This is the 3rd new vehicle I've purchased, 1st time I've ordered one. They have always been great to deal with but times and circumstances have changed so I'm holding off on assuming that this experience will go as smooth as in the past.

The only "issue" I anticipate is if my truck shows up with a rusted undercarriage as so many others have. It's not the dealership's fault but it's THEIR problem and for $XX,XXX.00 I have no intention of allowing it to become mine.

Unfortunately when your dealer is blowing you off on something as serious as you are describing you have to become a major thorn in their asses and act like they broke into your house, stole your cash, killed your dog and raped your wife.

At some point, you have out "unreasonable" them or they'll just keep dicking you around.

Last edited:

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Monday morning than truck would be sitting in the service center’s driveway and I’d be driving a loaner. Unacceptable seems to be standard with Ford and their dealers lately.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
If you have a feeling that your dealership is bullshitting you, they probably are.

With the problems you describe, you can really take it to any dealership to get it fixed under warranty. Many have described similar sensor warnings and some have had them fixed after loose connectors were found.

Stalling once would be unacceptable, four times is ridiculous, as is any loss of power. Which engine do you have?

Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech

Thoughts?
I would be requesting a replacement considering all those issues. This needs to be reported to Ford to get a case number.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
you can really take it to any dealership to get it fixed under warranty. Many have described similar sensor warnings and some have had them fixed after loose connectors were found.
What the OP described sounds like a clear Lemon IMO, not something that should be "fixed".

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
It seems like you are doing the right thing. Be assertive with the dealership.

A week ago I received an OTA, first one I know about. The next day I started having weird issues: I started receiving ProPower Onboard reset messages that would not clear. Power cycled(turn off then on) and the issue was gone, I used ProPower Onboard to run a grinder and sharpen the lawn mower blades. The next day on heavier than normal acceleration I got low oil pressure warning and the ProPower reset message. Same thing, Power cycled the truck and the low oil pressure message went away. The following day I tried to see if acceleration issues where gone, but I had no performance.

I called the dealership and they advised me not to drive it. I called roadside assistance and they towed it in. Later that day I was given a courtesy loaner. I waited a day and half and stopped by the dealership to find out what the plan was. The service manager had no plan. He didn't know when he would get it in because he was short handed. I felt like that was unacceptable to not have some plan. At least have a plan when they would get my truck in. I felt they could do better. I walked into the main show room and asked to talk to the person in charge and ended up talking to the General manager.

By the end of the day I had my truck back. Basically all ECMs were reprogrammed and/or firmware upgraded. 250 miles later no issues.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
What the OP described sounds like a clear Lemon IMO, not something that should be "fixed".
Lemon or not; it first needs to be taken to the dealership where they’re allowed to attempt a repair as part of the process.

https://lemonlaw.org/statutes/FL/

They’re fairly specific about the requirements and internet forum conjecture isn’t one of them.

It sucks but it’s left to the owner to get everything in writing and keep documenting the problems as well as counting the days that the vehicle is out of service or the attempts to repair.

The biggest hurdle will be documenting the intermittent drivability issues and a dash cam can possibly help with that.

Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Seems like many of the "Dealership" horror stories come from Florida.

I'm dealing with a small town dealer here in N. Cal. This is the 3rd new vehicle I've purchased, 1st time I've ordered one. They have always been great to deal with but times and circumstances have changed so I'm holding off on assuming that this experience will go as smooth as in the past.

The only "issue" I anticipate is if my truck shows up with a rusted undercarriage as so many others have. It's not the dealership's fault but it's THEIR problem and for $XX,XXX.00 I have no intention of allowing it to become mine.

Unfortunately when your dealer is blowing you off on something as serious as you are describing you have to become a major thorn in their asses and act like they broke into your house, stole your cash, killed your dog and raped your wife.

At some point, you have out "unreasonable" them or they'll just keep dicking you around.
I agree

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I just wanna add as bad as it stinks to have a new vehicle with issues lemon laws apply once they attempt a fix and the issues still not resolved.

Even brand new vehicles that have their transmission go out on the drive home don’t get lemon replacement they just get a new transmission.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

Thoughts?
@Laconic Guy,

I would suggest that you first look up what the local Automotive Lemon Laws are, so you will (hopefully) have some leverage at the Dealership. Where I live (Massachusetts), there is a pretty strong Lemon Law, compelling the Seller to take-back the vehicle it its undriveable, unsafe, or has lost >10% of its value due to the defect(s). It looks to be more involved in Florida, but you seem well on your way -

What is the Lemon Law in Florida?
The FL lemon law defines that any new car that has a nonconformity that cannot be repaired is then classified as a lemon. The details of these laws tend to vary by state, but Florida lemon laws require that a car be in new condition, or be a demonstrator vehicle, in order for it to meet the lemon law definition. Under state law, a vehicle must:
  • Have been purchased in new condition within two years.
  • Demonstrate a significant defect. The defect must be extreme, and must affect the vehicle’s operation ability, such as the engine, brakes, transmission or other major areas in the car.
  • Have undergone at least three repair attempts to fix the problem.
  • Have been in the mechanic’s shop and out of service for at least 30 days.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles enforces lemon laws in Florida, which cover the purchase of new vehicles and demonstrator vehicles, including both cars and trucks. These laws also include nonconformities with the communicated warranty of the vehicle that jeopardize its safety, value or use.

https://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/lemo...ic_dmv&utm_campaign=organic_dmv&pg_tc=captcha

Kevin.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I don't have the patience to be overly happy when I'm pissed. I worked for FOMO for 40 years and have bought 28 new vehicles, including the one i'm waiting for now, both because of dedication and Employee pricing. I've bought at least one vehicle from every ford dealer anywhere near me and am finally real happy with the one i bought my last 10 from, but it took me a long time to be abe to recommend one. I know first hand that way to many dealers aren't worth crap.
Sponsored