Sponsored

Truxedo X15 Pro tailgate close issue

klinkor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I installed a Truxedo X15 pro today on my 2021 Lariat with a short bed. Install went well with no real issues. I have an automatic open/close tail gate. The auto open works fine but when it tries to close the X15 gasket causes the auto-close to reverse due to an obstacle. I was able to release the x15 and close fine followed by reengaging the X15. is this just how I have to do this with an auto tailgate?
Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I don't think it's just the auto tailgate, I think it's any tailgate. I don't have the auto tailgate on mine, and I have to shut the tailgate first, then the Truxedo X15 Pro last. Same exact setup as you, 21 Lariat with short bed, just no auto open/close.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Your covers side rails are installed to far back. Try this, keep the tailgate closed when you put on the side rails. I have the Lo Pro and it’s basically the same except my cover is made out of vinyl.
I believe the instructions say to close the cover and then the tailgate.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Interesting. Let me double check that, I’d be happy to adjust if needed.

I just added pics for my case. The one where it “sits up” is when the cover is closed first, then the gate. When it’s laying flat, it was closed gate, then cover. I’d really like it to be either way worked fine, then I’d have one less thing to remember!

Ford F-150 Truxedo X15 Pro tailgate close issue E6AB8E00-6981-4309-916D-81D03D11FD1D

Ford F-150 Truxedo X15 Pro tailgate close issue F82F581E-FC5E-406D-81C5-0C7FF74A1FF3

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Interesting. Let me double check that, I’d be happy to adjust if needed.

I just added pics for my case. The one where it “sits up” is when the cover is closed first, then the gate. When it’s laying flat, it was closed gate, then cover. I’d really like it to be either way worked fine, then I’d have one less thing to remember!

E6AB8E00-6981-4309-916D-81D03D11FD1D.jpeg

F82F581E-FC5E-406D-81C5-0C7FF74A1FF3.jpeg
I can see in your pictures that your tailgate is not closed all the way. The side rails are too far back. I pretty sure if you make that adjustment with the side rails that everything will be fine.(y)

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Let me know if that fixed the problem.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Anybody else using the truxedo lo pro or x15 with the power up / down tailgate?

Does it work with the power tailgate?

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
X15 Pro here……. No issues with power tailgate Opens and closes fine. OP will be fine once adjustment is made. Great cover!!

shall

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB Lariat 502a
Pro x15 here - no auto open/close but sometimes when I manually close the tailgate it fails to latch and “bounces” back at me. I’m certain I just need to adjust the rails as it seems like the rail is stopping the latch, but it works 90% of the time so I’m living with it for now.

I’m sure this would not allow an auto tailgate to close properly.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Pro x15 here - no auto open/close but sometimes when I manually close the tailgate it fails to latch and “bounces” back at me. I’m certain I just need to adjust the rails as it seems like the rail is stopping the latch, but it works 90% of the time so I’m living with it for now.

I’m sure this would not allow an auto tailgate to close properly.
Hello, Sam! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this tailgate concern. Thanks!

Downtown

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I believe the instructions say to close the cover and then the tailgate.
The instructions actually say to close the tailgate first…and then pop or snap the cover. I have a ‘22, short bed and my cover bounces back up at me, unless I snap it in place with the tailgate open. I’d rather the rubber trim lay flat on top of the closed tailgate, as it does seem like this is the design to reduce water coming into the bed.

I called the support line and they said that some people have to close the tailgate after snapping the cover down.

I’m going to try Dan M’s suggestion of moving the rails further forward if I can…see if that helps.

***another related question…I really like the minimal design of the Pro X!5, but I’m wondering if I’d like the Sentry or the BAK X4S more. I do live in a colder climate (Utah), but I park it indoors and it’s dry here…so not too worried about ice.
Sponsored