Truck camper comparability

Cameron

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 accord
My plan is to later this year, buy an F-150 hybrid and a truck camper. The lightest one I've seen is a Lance 650. Wet weight is just over the payload. Can I put air bags on to compensate for the additional weight?
Sponsored

RJ_986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Would it be easier to step up to a f250? Seems like a lot of payload for a f150. 1700 dry weight?

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
My plan is to later this year, buy an F-150 hybrid and a truck camper. The lightest one I've seen is a Lance 650. Wet weight is just over the payload. Can I put air bags on to compensate for the additional weight?
Don't even think of it. Just get a 250 or 350. Once you get the camper, you will need water, propane, camping gear (stove, chairs, dishes, linen....the list goes on). I've had a camper on a 250 pushing the limits and it was not fun. Switched to a 350 with air bags and then it got to be more comfortable. There is no way you can make a 150 safe if you are over the limit. When you have a top heavy camper on truck not designed for it then it truly is not safe nor fun to drive. Almost guarantee that if you try it on a truck not designed for it that you will be upgrading within a year.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Thinking about getting a Lance 650 for a 5.5 box too. According to Lance the camper is designed to fit on that config. Apparently the family of this YouTuber has done it on a 2014 F150 SuperCrew (looks like a 5.5 box, but he doesn't say in any of the videos)

An F250 won't even fit in my driveway and I'd like better fuel economy for a daily driver.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
There's no way to increase GVWR other than getting a new truck with the right GVWR. You can add all the upgrades you want but if there's an accident or you are pulled over, nobody will care if you installed air bags or helper springs or even a whole new axle and the higher GVWR OEM spring pack HD frame and other parts. All that matters is what the sticker says.

Since you haven't gotten a truck yet, you have the advantage of checking out all the trucks and their as equipped GVWR numbers for various trucks as well as reassessment of your needs and uses.

There are some lightweight slide in campers under 1,000lbs for short bed trucks, a lot of them are popular with Toyota Tacoma owners but the funny thing with that is the Tacoma payload is so low on many trucks that they're exceeding their GVWR with even a 600lb camper after passengers, supplies and a full tank of fuel are factored in.

Good luck!

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
PB only come in SCREW, the MAX payload config is 2120 that is for a 4x2 6.5' bed. And that is with NO optional equipment (i.e. no moonroof, etc, etc). You can NOT get HDPP (heavy duty payload package with hybrid).

The Lance 650 is 1900lbs wet. Add to that pots/pans/glasses, folding chairs, food, beer (?), clothes, sheets, pillow, other supplies in the camper for camping and you are probably adding another 200+lbs (over time probably more like 350+lbs). Then add yourself and you partner (assuming just 2 of you, no kids) for another 350+lbs?

So you are minimum at 2450lbs to start. If you have moonroof, etc, that 2120 is probably more like 2000lb payload. If you want 4x4 subtract another 300lbs.

So Lance 650 and PowerBoost will not work.

You will need a truck camper that comes in wet weight under 1400lbs (and pack light) or you have to go with a F150 version that has the HDPP avail (non-hybrid).

P.S. Also there is a specific option for Truck Camper capability when you order your F150.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
...You can add all the upgrades you want but if there's an accident or you are pulled over...
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

There are some lightweight slide in campers under 1,000lbs for short bed trucks...
Yeah. I'll have to look around more. There are a bunch of pop-up style truck campers from companies like Four Wheel Campers, Outfitter Mfg, and Phoenix Pop Up Campers that I'll have to consider. Will make the camper less luxurious and less usable for winter trips, but will still work for the majority of what I'm interested in doing.

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can NOT get HDPP (heavy duty payload package with hybrid).
Interesting, I did not know that. Definitely makes the PowerBoost less usable

The Lance 650 is 1900lbs wet. Add to that pots/pans/glasses, folding chairs, food, beer (?), clothes, sheets, pillow, other supplies in the camper for camping and you are probably adding another 200+lbs (over time probably more like 350+lbs). Then add yourself and you partner (assuming just 2 of you, no kids) for another 350+lbs?

So you are minimum at 2450lbs to start. If you have moonroof, etc, that 2120 is probably more like 2000lb payload. If you want 4x4 subtract another 300lbs.

You will need a truck camper that comes in wet weight under 1400lbs (and pack light) or you have to go with a F150 version that has the HDPP avail (non-hybrid).
This is a good point. Makes the Lance 650 not really an option for me.

P.S. Also there is a specific option for Truck Camper capability when you order your F150.
What option is that? What does it actually do?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Interesting, I did not know that. Definitely makes the PowerBoost less usable

This is a good point. Makes the Lance 650 not really an option for me.

What option is that? What does it actually do?
Sorry, guess I imagined it....? I could have swore one time I read about a camper prep option (it was cheap like $100) that had something to do with delinating center of gravity and some other stuff. But can't find anything like that now.

Do get yourself a copy of the 2021 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide.
Sponsored