Sponsored

Tremor suspension on Powerboost

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Sucking out fluids is a pretty easy operation. With a rigid container you can make a really simple air powered venturi vac assembly. It's a must have these days to be able to pull fluid out easily with so called lifetime fluids. With modern transmissions I pull 1/3 - 1/2 of its rated capacity out every 30k miles and replace with fresh (varies depending on trans type / use, wet CVTs should be full change every 30k). I've never had an issue with a trans doing continued partial replacements.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Sucking out fluids is a pretty easy operation. With a rigid container you can make a really simple air powered venturi vac assembly. It's a must have these days to be able to pull fluid out easily with so called lifetime fluids. With modern transmissions I pull 1/3 - 1/2 of its rated capacity out every 30k miles and replace with fresh (varies depending on trans type / use, wet CVTs should be full change every 30k). I've never had an issue with a trans doing continued partial replacements.
And I'm gonna have to use that setup on the trans, but I watched a guy with a Raptor show how he used a brake purge vac setup to suction his and said "why?" It's doable, but if you're getting the diff replaced there's no reason not to have the drain plug (that should've been installed from the factory). It's very hard to beat "remove plug and position drain pan" for simplicity.

OP
OP
TheGoatman

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Parts are showing up.

the uca is definitely different, as well as the ball joint.

I will see what it can tell when I get them side by side.

knuckles will be here thursday

Ford F-150 Tremor suspension on Powerboost 4BF87662-750E-4EA6-9BFD-11D5433347DE

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Will it get the published 1” front and 1.5” rear additional suspension travel
As a point of clarification, you get increased height. but not increased travel. You'll find the stroke length the same, as well as the lower control arm.

the uca is definitely different, as well as the ball joint.

I will see what it can tell when I get them side by side.

knuckles will be here thursday
Offering this will be valuable, if anything just to finally understand what exactly they changed on the UCA and knuckle.

I'm going on record with my assertion that the upper ball joint is moved back a few mm and the ball joint being longer by a few mm.

OP
OP
TheGoatman

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
As a point of clarification, you get increased height. but not increased travel. You'll find the stroke length the same, as well as the lower control arm.

Offering this will be valuable, if anything just to finally understand what exactly they changed on the UCA and knuckle.

I'm going on record with my assertion that the upper ball joint is moved back a few mm and the ball joint being longer by a few mm.
I’ve heard the shock stroke is the same but wondering if there’s any help from lack of binding the ball joint or something.

Ford published 1” in the front and 1.5” in the rear increase of suspension travel

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...20/12/08/all-new-2021-ford-f-150-tremor.html#

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I couldn't see the UCA having anything to do with increased travel. The shock should be the limiting factor here. It could have better angles to reduce the ball popping out due to angles the additional travel could present. Bringing the strut mount location out a little further from the current position could do it while stiffening up suspension some. Curious how all of the parts come together. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the heavier weight of the PB negates the 'lift' the tremor's suspension achieves however.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Ford published 1” in the front and 1.5” in the rear increase of suspension travel
That's from the original press release, but in their In later descriptions it changed to just ride height. You'd actually be hard pressed to find even mention of the ride height in any of the descriptions now.

Intrusive thought: I wonder too if any of the original mention of 1-inch of height comes from .5 inch extra of tire wince the come on 33s vs 32s.

OP
OP
TheGoatman

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
That all makes sense. I will have to put the coil over in without the spacer first to confirm the travel thing then. I’m guessing if there is anything, it would have to be on the droop side, so I’ll measure the distance of the tire from the floor before and after.

Is there a bump stop on the front of these trucks? I don’t see one.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very interesting -- that's also the lightning's knuckle

Maybe the raptors as well being BEV/ORV?
(BEV = battery electric vehicle)

Ford F-150 Tremor suspension on Powerboost 1685671656804

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Did you by chance get relative measurements on the knuckle as well? Like steering tie rod height relative to the UCA/LCA mount or wheel spindle center?

OP
OP
TheGoatman

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Did you by chance get relative measurements on the knuckle as well? Like steering tie rod height relative to the UCA/LCA mount or wheel spindle center?
The tie rod height is an inch heigher relative to the lca. There are suttle changes all over the knuckle. It’s really hard to tell but most obvious is them being more generous with adding material in places.

One thing is my alignment spec came back in spec. I believe if it was a 1” lift, it would’ve been unchanged. I had some drama at the alignment shop so need to take it to ford and get setup with the tremor alignment specs early next week

OP
OP
TheGoatman

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I have tremor rear shocks on the way and rear bump stop. The forums claim same length for the shocks, but that does not seem to be the case. I am anticipating 3.5” of additional droop with the other shocks

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
The tie rod height is an inch heigher relative to the lca. There are suttle changes all over the knuckle. It’s really hard to tell but most obvious is them being more generous with adding material in places.

One thing is my alignment spec came back in spec. I believe if it was a 1” lift, it would’ve been unchanged. I had some drama at the alignment shop so need to take it to ford and get setup with the tremor alignment specs early next week
I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a negative statement at the second part, but based on that information, it sounds like the UCA and Steering arms are where the regular f-150 are relative to the body mounts, and the LCA and wheel are "1 inch lower," which matches up with the suspension that offers 1 inch of lift.

So, the UCA and Steering angles on a tremor match a stock height regular F-150, not a regular truck with 1 inch of lift.

That would jive with what an oem would be concerned with, as keeping the steering rack happy and managing bump steer would be high on the list.

You should cross post this over on f150tremor.com. Those guys will appreciate the info on the differences.

Did you have to switch to using IWEs, or are you still hub locked?
Sponsored

Last edited: