First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I test drove a 2021 XLT 3.5 SC a few days ago and noticed the shudder. The truck had less than 15 miles on it and I felt the shudder pulling out of the dealer parking lot while slowly accelerating. The test drive was about 5 miles and it only did it one other time after pulling out of the lot. I drove a second truck that was being used by the GM (2021 Lariat 3.5 SC) with about 1,500 miles and it did not shudder on the test drive. I didn't even mention it to the salesperson that was riding with me because I was only there to test drive and didn't feel like hearing what excuse he was going to make up about it. I didn't even bother to look up "F-150 shudder" until I came across this thread and felt like I should share what I noticed. It felt like going over small rumble strips on the highway.
Sponsored

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
The only thing I'm not loving about the truck is the shifting. It's not horrible, just not the "smooth as butter" comments I have seen. Or "I don't even know when it shifts". I did have to have a TSB applied around 400 miles for dead battery syndrome and did feel as though my shifting took a "step backwards". Is it a thing that I can ask service to reset or something? Or is my truck just still getting to know me (at 1,100 miles)? 3.5 EB 4x4
Thanks

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Mine has been reset by dealer and didn’t change my issue at all. It going back next Tuesday as I’m so disappointed in my truck
Same here been in shop a few times
Man your not kidding! I had a 2017 and would do anything To have that truck back, never had a single issue with it. Buy a 21 and already has 2 recalls one with windshield having to be removed paint sanded off and some new coating put in its place and windshield put back. Honestly I have ZERO faith in any dealer around me to be able to do this correctly and not screw something up, then horn would not work if you pushed on the right side of the horn found out the airbag cover was messed up and the had to replace the entire airbag, also as bullet mentioned my back seats one section is very noticeable higher than the other like something is under it holding it up when there is not, then this shudder issue! All this with under 1500 miles very extremely disappointed!
Same here! I want my 2016 back.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
About a week ago I took my truck to a different dealer to see if they could replicate/diagnose the transmission shudder I still have. The tech did notice it, said it wasn’t normal, and opened a ticket with Ford. Once the dealer has a response from Ford I’ll be sure to pass it a long.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Disappointing news from the dealership today. I landed home after 6 weeks in Hawaii and immediately dropped the truck off at the dealership. After diagnostics and the tech experiencing the shudder in other f150s they have on the lot, they stated it is a normal characteristic of the 10 speed transmission. It seems to be getting better from when I first picked the truck up, but a few times going to/from work it was really bad, to the point I had to let off the gas. I have an appointment for an oil change with the dealer I bought the truck from next month and I'll bring it up again then and update this thread.
If anyone has any luck rectifying this please let me know. I love the truck but every time it happens I feel as though I made a mistake buying it...

Sponsored

Chase

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Any updates from those of you who posted about a shudder in 8, 9, and 10 under light acceleration at highway speed? I have a 2021 XL STX 3.5 EB and it started exhibiting the same issue around 600 miles (mainly highway driving in “normal” drive mode with a lightfoot to maintain cruising speed). I gave it up to 2500 miles to “learn” how to how I drive and the problem was getting more noticeable so I dropped it at the dealer. They kept it for 2 days and said it’s “normal” and it should smooth out by 7500 miles. If not, the service advisor said to bring it back. It should also be noted the advisor said they’ve had several 2021s come back for the same complaint. I now have 2800 miles on it so time will tell. In the meantime, I guess I’ll deal with it but it’s very frustrating when several others seem to have the same issue and Ford ushers you out of the service door saying it’s normal! Please keep this post going and I’ll post an update in months to come! Again, any updates from others?!

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
Any updates from those of you who posted about a shudder in 8, 9, and 10 under light acceleration at highway speed? I have a 2021 XL STX 3.5 EB and it started exhibiting the same issue around 600 miles (mainly highway driving in “normal” drive mode with a lightfoot to maintain cruising speed). I gave it up to 2500 miles to “learn” how to how I drive and the problem was getting more noticeable so I dropped it at the dealer. They kept it for 2 days and said it’s “normal” and it should smooth out by 7500 miles. If not, the service advisor said to bring it back. It should also be noted the advisor said they’ve had several 2021s come back for the same complaint. I now have 2800 miles on it so time will tell. In the meantime, I guess I’ll deal with it but it’s very frustrating when several others seem to have the same issue and Ford ushers you out of the service door saying it’s normal! Please keep this post going and I’ll post an update in months to come! Again, any updates from others?!
I got the same answer - normal behavior…. My hope is that enough of these complaints come that Ford engineers adress it with an update/TSB. I am in a loaner 21 2.7 and it shifts way smoother than my 5.0. Frustrating….

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco
I got the same answer - normal behavior…. My hope is that enough of these complaints come that Ford engineers adress it with an update/TSB. I am in a loaner 21 2.7 and it shifts way smoother than my 5.0. Frustrating….
Update.. Currently 11K on my 21 2.7 XLT that I have posted about previously regarding the shudder. I have had this issue since approximately 500 miles. I had my truck in for basic maintenance and also they had to fix the air dam thing that slides down above 45mph..That’s another post lol.. anyway they had my truck for a few days so I had a loaner. The dealer was out of their own loaners because of low inventory and selling them, so they hooked me up with a truck from Enterprise. 21 Chevy Silverado LT with 1200 miles on it. Not a huge fan of the truck but within the 700 miles that I put on it the transmission was so smooth, and not once a shudder. Once again I had the dealer check about my shudder. This time one of the main service advisors did say he felt a slight shudder and referred to it like the feeling you get when driving a manual, and being in 4th gear but you need more power and you didn’t down shift like you should. I actually have it documented that way.. lol. I am still awaiting the elusive Recorder that they are supposed to hook up to my truck. So basically not getting anywhere with this issue. Yes I understand the shudder isn’t always. I put about 300+ miles in the past 24hrs since service. First approx 150 miles the shudder was there in the higher gears. The rest of the miles the truck ran the best ever. Because the shudder isn’t always there and I get great performance other times is even more confirmation that there is a problem and Ford needs to do something. The other problem is finding dealers that will back us up and not just say they couldn’t replicate the concern or it’s normal. Normal is what is told to us because the techs don’t know what else to say and they just want to move on to the next vehicle, because they are at a loss. Corporate needs involved!

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco

Sponsored

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
Update.. Currently 11K on my 21 2.7 XLT that I have posted about previously regarding the shudder. I have had this issue since approximately 500 miles. I had my truck in for basic maintenance and also they had to fix the air dam thing that slides down above 45mph..That’s another post lol.. anyway they had my truck for a few days so I had a loaner. The dealer was out of their own loaners because of low inventory and selling them, so they hooked me up with a truck from Enterprise. 21 Chevy Silverado LT with 1200 miles on it. Not a huge fan of the truck but within the 700 miles that I put on it the transmission was so smooth, and not once a shudder. Once again I had the dealer check about my shudder. This time one of the main service advisors did say he felt a slight shudder and referred to it like the feeling you get when driving a manual, and being in 4th gear but you need more power and you didn’t down shift like you should. I actually have it documented that way.. lol. I am still awaiting the elusive Recorder that they are supposed to hook up to my truck. So basically not getting anywhere with this issue. Yes I understand the shudder isn’t always. I put about 300+ miles in the past 24hrs since service. First approx 150 miles the shudder was there in the higher gears. The rest of the miles the truck ran the best ever. Because the shudder isn’t always there and I get great performance other times is even more confirmation that there is a problem and Ford needs to do something. The other problem is finding dealers that will back us up and not just say they couldn’t replicate the concern or it’s normal. Normal is what is told to us because the techs don’t know what else to say and they just want to move on to the next vehicle, because they are at a loss. Corporate needs involved!
I agree - there is only so much dealers can accomplish when the design or engineering has a flaw. Is there a way to get a complaint pushed to Ford other than dealers pushing it for you?

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
Just wondering if any of you are running premium 93 octane fuel? I’ve actually ran a couple tanks through mine and it seems to almost go completely away and then I changed back to 87 octane and the shudder starts to come back. It’s so frustrating because dealers today can’t fix anything if a computer cant tell them what to do.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Just wondering if any of you are running premium 93 octane fuel? I’ve actually ran a couple tanks through mine and it seems to almost go completely away and then I changed back to 87 octane and the shudder starts to come back. It’s so frustrating because dealers today can’t fix anything if a computer cant tell them what to do.
I tried switching to 93 and it’s still present on my truck

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco
I tried switching to 93 and it’s still present on my truck
Loaded with 5 people and cargo in the bed.. The shudder really was noticeable on that trip home, especially going up even slight grades on the highway.Had the truck in couple weeks ago, and one of the service managers did finally say ..along with document ..that it feels like driving a manual and you keep it in 4th gear too long when you should down shift to 3rd and the vehicle shudders. Of course nothing could be done to fix the issue at this time. Lol
Definitely will try the higher octane.. What the Hell.. It’s only more money! Lol

Chase

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Just finished up a +580 mile road trip and switched to 93 octane beforehand from empty. The shuddering almost completely disappeared shortly after the full fill-up (topped off a couple times throughout the trip). Going to run the tank down and switch back to 87 to see if it comes back. Surely made driving this thing as enjoyable as the initial test drive lol
Sponsored