Transmission shudder

mryan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platnium, 2019 Audi A7
Has anyone noticed that it is much worse with a trailer on behind that has 1500 to 2000lbs loaded?
I have say after the TSB when my truck is empty and not towing anything I could easily with it but I use primarily to tow my tows.
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Has anyone noticed that it is much worse with a trailer on behind that has 1500 to 2000lbs loaded?
I have say after the TSB when my truck is empty and not towing anything I could easily with it but I use primarily to tow my tows.
I haven't had the TSB, but yes, the shudder is considerably worse with a trailer behind it.

Last edited:

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
Mine seems to have gotten better or at least less noticeable now that I added bigger heavier tires. Maybe the extra throttle I need to give it vs just feathering it?

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious, but does anybody with this problem run 93 octane on a regular basis? I run 87 and am wondering if the higher octane might help alleviate some of the shudder coming from the power train, since it definitely seems linked to the turbos being in boost.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Just curious, but does anybody with this problem run 93 octane on a regular basis? I run 87 and am wondering if the higher octane might help alleviate some of the shudder coming from the power train, since it definitely seems linked to the turbos being in boost.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread.
I started running 93 and it has helped. It doesn’t shudder as much and it’s much more tolerable

Sponsored

dbtgt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A, 2024 F150 501A on order
Occupation
Retired
Yes 3000 miles post TSB. I told them it had a shudder at highway speeds while applying load in gears 8, 9, and 10, and that I heard there was a TSB out to address it.

My paper work says cust states shudder at highway speeds in gears 8,9,10 under boost. Tech notes: verified concern found TSB 22-2224 shudder at highway speeds. Reprogrammed PCM, ABS, and SOBDMC modules per TSB. Road tested concern remedied.
After several visits to my Ford dealer, I had TSB 22-2224 performed a couple of weeks ago. After 500 miles the shudder is, if anything, worse! Certainly not fixed! (2021 Lariat 501A FX4 Max Tow 3.5L Eco). Had to wait 6 weeks for the service appointment...
This really sucks, Ford!

Genoz

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
After several visits to my Ford dealer, I had TSB 22-2224 performed a couple of weeks ago. After 500 miles the shudder is, if anything, worse! Certainly not fixed! (2021 Lariat 501A FX4 Max Tow 3.5L Eco). Had to wait 6 weeks for the service appointment...
This really sucks, Ford!
I also had the TSB fix applied. They only reprogrammed the PCM. Shudder is still there but not noticable in 8th gear, mostly in 10th under light load. Under heavy load it will downshift and reduce the shudder.

Jdc4216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
This really sucks, Ford!
Same thing for me. 2022 lariat 501A 3.5L FX4.

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
after the latest update, I find the shuddering worse from 8th to 9th and not as bad from 9th to 10th gear.

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
I've been dealing with the BBB Autoline. I figured I would take this route before going into a Lemon Law claim. I have reached an interim agreement with Ford to have a Field Engineer examine and hopefully repair the Shudder at an authorized dealer.
I will keep everyone posted.

Sponsored

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
So I don't think we have a solution for the shudder under light throttle correct? So annoying it is....

Dunk33

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
I also had the TSB done and there has been no improvement whatsoever to the shuddering. I scheduled and went in for another visit for them to re-check which took 3 weeks, and they said there is nothing more they can do until Ford comes out with another update. I stopped at a different dealership to see what there experience has been and they informed me that the TSB doesn't seem to help many of their customers. They said I should call Ford's customer service and explain the problem to to them since Ford does not listen to the dealerships (really??!!). So I called and explained the problem; he said there is nothing he can do and that I need to work with the dealership. I asked if he would be letting Ford know that there is a problem and he replied that there is no way for him to do that... -- you have got to be joking!! Totally unacceptable.

Ford obviously knows there is a problem or they wouldn't have issued the TSB. If the TSB does not solve the problem, common sense would suggest that they would come out with another fix, but I won't hold my breath. Really hard for me to comprehend that a company like Ford would treat their loyal customers like this..

Sorry for the long rant...

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
I also had the TSB done and there has been no improvement whatsoever to the shuddering. I scheduled and went in for another visit for them to re-check which took 3 weeks, and they said there is nothing more they can do until Ford comes out with another update. I stopped at a different dealership to see what there experience has been and they informed me that the TSB doesn't seem to help many of their customers. They said I should call Ford's customer service and explain the problem to to them since Ford does not listen to the dealerships (really??!!). So I called and explained the problem; he said there is nothing he can do and that I need to work with the dealership. I asked if he would be letting Ford know that there is a problem and he replied that there is no way for him to do that... -- you have got to be joking!! Totally unacceptable.

Ford obviously knows there is a problem or they wouldn't have issued the TSB. If the TSB does not solve the problem, common sense would suggest that they would come out with another fix, but I won't hold my breath. Really hard for me to comprehend that a company like Ford would treat their loyal customers like this..

Sorry for the long rant...
You need to get the ball rolling with a Lemon Law claim. The clock is ticking. Check out the BBB Autoline…that’s a good first step.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've pretty much mentally committed to trading in my truck next year on something that doesn't shudder, assuming Ford doesn't fix the problem. Really unfortunate that we all have to deal with this situation.

I had a similar problem with my 2015 Canyon when new. The trans algorithm was weighed too heavily toward fuel economy, and the shift points were laughably terrible. The truck would "chug" instead of downshifting anytime a downshift was warranted (i. e. a highway onramp). I had to train myself to take my foot off the gas and then reapply, which tricked the truck into downshifting. Unlike my PB F150, the Canyon didn't really have adequate torque to compensate for the higher gear, so the lack of power was frequently dangerous. I had almost given up hope after about two years of multiple dealers claiming there was no problem when GM shockingly issued a TSB to reprogram the modules. The difference after having it applied was night-and-day, and I was finally able to enjoy driving the truck normally. I never really liked the truck until the TSB was applied, and afterward I developed a real affinity for it. I kept it for almost 7 years and 100k miles before up-sizing to the F150 in April, and I was actually a little sad to see it go.

I can only hope Ford surprises us all with a real fix for this issue so we can enjoy all the pros these trucks have to offer without the daily distraction of a poor driving experience.

Genoz

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I've pretty much mentally committed to trading in my truck next year on something that doesn't shudder, assuming Ford doesn't fix the problem. Really unfortunate that we all have to deal with this situation.

I had a similar problem with my 2015 Canyon when new. The trans algorithm was weighed too heavily toward fuel economy, and the shift points were laughably terrible. The truck would "chug" instead of downshifting anytime a downshift was warranted (i. e. a highway onramp). I had to train myself to take my foot off the gas and then reapply, which tricked the truck into downshifting. Unlike my PB F150, the Canyon didn't really have adequate torque to compensate for the higher gear, so the lack of power was frequently dangerous. I had almost given up hope after about two years of multiple dealers claiming there was no problem when GM shockingly issued a TSB to reprogram the modules. The difference after having it applied was night-and-day, and I was finally able to enjoy driving the truck normally. I never really liked the truck until the TSB was applied, and afterward I developed a real affinity for it. I kept it for almost 7 years and 100k miles before up-sizing to the F150 in April, and I was actually a little sad to see it go.

I can only hope Ford surprises us all with a real fix for this issue so we can enjoy all the pros these trucks have to offer without the daily distraction of a poor driving experience.
Agreed, I am also waiting for a real solution. I love the truck with the exception of this issue with the transmission shudder in the higher gear ranges.
Sponsored