Transmission shudder

Howard5091

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
In my case I know for sure all of my modules weren’t updated. I have to bring it back at a later point to have it serviced again. My dealer is having issues with whatever systems they use to update the software and is having a field service engineer come out to assist with updating their systems. Still hope on my end. I’m wondering if the fix they tried was just resetting the tranny tables as my shuddering was almost non existent after running 93 fuel for a few months. Still have my fingers crossed
I’ll bet that’s exactly what they did. I am confident that you will be in good shape once they get you all updated. Mine is night and day and after all we have the same systems in our trucks. Good luck on getting yours sorted out!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
In my case I know for sure all of my modules weren’t updated. I have to bring it back at a later point to have it serviced again. My dealer is having issues with whatever systems they use to update the software and is having a field service engineer come out to assist with updating their systems. Still hope on my end. I’m wondering if the fix they tried was just resetting the tranny tables as my shuddering was almost non existent after running 93 fuel for a few months. Still have my fingers crossed
That's a sad example of just how poorly the dealership network is prepared for the current products that the manufacturer is producing.

The dealership service department are stuck on Windows XP, if you know what I'm trying to say. They are legacy and don't even know how legacy that they are. I used Windows XP as an analogy, but it really isn't far off. In fact it IS a software problem in the realest sense. For many years the Ford factory software tool is "IDS" and most of the computers these technicians are using have been on their bench a long time and are engrained in their brain.

The 2021 model year for Ford introduced new vehicles AND an all new diagnostic and repair software platform for the technicians. IDS is replaced with FDRS and it is a fresh more modern approach, as well as it needs a NEW LAPTOP, for crying out loud. Not to mention the technician needs to be trained to use it.

Ironically, FDRS is far more user friendly. So much so that this forum has a bunch of folks using it themselves and taking matters into their own hands because of the frustration with the dealership experience. It's remarkable how quickly the Gen14 F150 and Mach-E community discovered that FDRS is not only available to the consumer, but it's incredibly obvious now that the dealerships that are failing at servicing these new platforms are absolutely clueless to what is going on.

Fortunately, some dealerships are figuring it out. In my opinion that's evidence that the dealership has at least ONE technician that is both paying attention AND has some computer skills. (believe me, it doesn't take a lot. Just some)

So far it looks like I'm picking on the dealerships and giving Ford a pass. Oh heck no! :)

Ford should be held accountable for both the dismal rollout of OTA and the disappointing lack of preparation for the new FDRS platform at the service department level. How hard could it be to invest in making sure each dealership had ONE technician that had some practice with updating modules in FDRS? After all, there are now tons of folks who have shown it takes a couple of hours of their focus and they are doing it themselves. And these are not professional automotive repair folks. Lol

It's great to hear that some of these shudder trucks are getting fixed with module(s) software updates. That's really good news. What's irritating is with FDRS, that shouldn't take more than just a few minutes to apply. It should be like getting an oil change. But instead the legacy way of doing business will often require multiple appointments, multiple attempts, and even a bunch of smoke and mirrors as the service department tries to keep the customer in the dark regarding what REALLY is going on.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
That's a sad example of just how poorly the dealership network is prepared for the current products that the manufacturer is producing.

The dealership service department are stuck on Windows XP, if you know what I'm trying to say. They are legacy and don't even know how legacy that they are. I used Windows XP as an analogy, but it really isn't far off. In fact it IS a software problem in the realest sense. For many years the Ford factory software tool is "IDS" and most of the computers these technicians are using have been on their bench a long time and are engrained in their brain.

The 2021 model year for Ford introduced new vehicles AND an all new diagnostic and repair software platform for the technicians. IDS is replaced with FDRS and it is a fresh more modern approach, as well as it needs a NEW LAPTOP, for crying out loud. Not to mention the technician needs to be trained to use it.

Ironically, FDRS is far more user friendly. So much so that this forum has a bunch of folks using it themselves and taking matters into their own hands because of the frustration with the dealership experience. It's remarkable how quickly the Gen14 F150 and Mach-E community discovered that FDRS is not only available to the consumer, but it's incredibly obvious now that the dealerships that are failing at servicing these new platforms are absolutely clueless to what is going on.

Fortunately, some dealerships are figuring it out. In my opinion that's evidence that the dealership has at least ONE technician that is both paying attention AND has some computer skills. (believe me, it doesn't take a lot. Just some)

So far it looks like I'm picking on the dealerships and giving Ford a pass. Oh heck no! :)

Ford should be held accountable for both the dismal rollout of OTA and the disappointing lack of preparation for the new FDRS platform at the service department level. How hard could it be to invest in making sure each dealership had ONE technician that had some practice with updating modules in FDRS? After all, there are now tons of folks who have shown it takes a couple of hours of their focus and they are doing it themselves. And these are not professional automotive repair folks. Lol

It's great to hear that some of these shudder trucks are getting fixed with module(s) software updates. That's really good news. What's irritating is with FDRS, that shouldn't take more than just a few minutes to apply. It should be like getting an oil change. But instead the legacy way of doing business will often require multiple appointments, multiple attempts, and even a bunch of smoke and mirrors as the service department tries to keep the customer in the dark regarding what REALLY is going on.
It’s been a battle getting any of the software on my truck updated. Worst part is I’m not entirely sure if what they’re telling me is true, or whether they’re blowing smoke up my ass. My truck hasn’t been getting OTA updates and has repeatedly failed trying to update itself. I brought it in for this back in March to get it looked at for this issue. Still waiting on special cables to come in to hook up my truck… might be back on the hunt for a new dealer again…

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Im getting this fix applied Wednesday and it should be good, the tech working on it has always done my vehicles and is a close family friend, so I’ll get to talk to him directly. I have a 200 mile trip Friday as well, so I’ll get to shake it down (or hopefully not shake!) lol. I’ll post my experience and what I hear from the tech once that happens. Really hoping that it’s fixed. My Powerboost will be perfect after that

Howard5091

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost

I completely agree with you. These dealerships have no real standard operating procedures. I have had several BMWs, and like it or not their service department runs like a well oiled machine. It wouldn’t be hard for Ford to do the same, but like I said it all comes down to SOPs or the lack there of.

Sponsored

Chase

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Well I hit 100 miles today since the fix and the shudder came back almost right at the 100 mile mark…
Had the TSB performed last week and noticed it had smoothed out on the 10 mile trip home from the dealer. Noticed it slowly came back and now it’s shuddering again if not worse now with 100 miles so far.

What’s crazy is that the tech didn’t even drive it prior to or after the update to confirm. Stated the problem has been resolved on the paperwork lol.

About done with this headache

Last edited:

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
Glad to hear everything is working. I think I need to find a new dealership, I'm going in next week but they were confused I wanted to come in for a TSB.

You want to come in for a TSB?

YES.

What TSB is it?

22-2224.

Umm what is it for?

Transmission shudder.

What do we need to do?

Reset the PCM.

I guess we can do that my transmission guy is here next week.

Great I'll drop it off at 7am.

So you just want us to do this TSB?

YES.

Not a joke that is how my phone conversation went. The service representative was completely lost I'm not very confident it will get done. I'm sure he is going to have the "transmission " guy drive it and tell me it's "normal".

I called a dealer that is a little further away and they asked for my vin pulled it up knew right away what to do and also mentioned my wiper motor recall but they are out a month.
Unbelievable !

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
just got my truck back from the dealer with the update! Only have driven it about 20 miles since then, but preliminarily it seems much better.
Funny thing, I got to experience what it’s like to have a normal 3.5 ecoboost since the vehicle won’t go into EV mode for some time after the updates 😂

From the tech:
Doesn’t take too long - hour or so. Powerboosts take a bit longer you have to update 3 modules (PCM, ABS, SOBDMC). Seems they made some transmission logic changes and valve timing changes to stop the shudder once boost comes on but haven’t watched PIDs to confirm that yet

he said they’ve gotten the complaint a lot and are glad to finally be able to fix it instead of having to tell the customer it’s operating normally when they knew it wasn’t lol

Omzmo

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
I can't believe I'm about to say this but it worked! No more shudder after TSB 22-2224 is completed. Drove a few routes where I always felt the shudder and it finally felt smooth and normal. Even with my toyo AT3 tires on. I also had the blue cruise update completed today and it worked flawlessly. Feels like a different truck. I definitely recommend anyone with the shudder to get your trucks in asap for this TSB.
Well I didnt want to believe some of the other posts but the shudder does seem to be coming back. The truck doesn't seem as smooth as it was when I first picked it up after the update. I've driven a few hundred kilometers now and it definitely feels like the shudder is starting again. I wonder if it's something in the "learning" process. Really thinking about getting rid of my truck now. Even if they did manage to fix it, who is to say there isn't premature wear that has occurred on some components. My truck has been shuddering away for almost 25,000 KM now. Thanks for the $80K vibrator, Ford!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Had my truck at the dealer on Friday for this issue. Supposedly neither the tech nor service manager could reproduce the shudder, so no fix was applied. NOT surprisingly, the service manager seemed frustrated at my mention of the TSB. Now I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the shudder so I can take the service manager for a spin to show him.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Had my truck at the dealer on Friday for this issue. Supposedly neither the tech nor service manager could reproduce the shudder, so no fix was applied. NOT surprisingly, the service manager seemed frustrated at my mention of the TSB. Now I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the shudder so I can take the service manager for a spin to show him.
60mph, manual mode 10th gear, hit the accelerator pretty hard. You’ll definitely get the shudder

Also as a general update, I’ve driven my Powerboost almost 500 miles since the fix was applied Thursday. I’m pretty in tune with the vehicle and can confidentially say so far at least, the shudder is 95% gone, which I’m more than happy with. I only noticed the slightest shudder once at about 10lbs of boost in 10th gear and that’s probably attributable to the fact that I’m using 87 octane and not 93. Also, idk if they actually changed anything with the new pcm software, but the electric to gas transition actually seems a bit smoother now even. And my 2-3 shift has been better but I assume that’s due to the adaptive tables being reset

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
60mph, manual mode 10th gear, hit the accelerator pretty hard. You’ll definitely get the shudder

Also as a general update, I’ve driven my Powerboost almost 500 miles since the fix was applied Thursday. I’m pretty in tune with the vehicle and can confidentially say so far at least, the shudder is 95% gone, which I’m more than happy with. I only noticed the slightest shudder once at about 10lbs of boost in 10th gear and that’s probably attributable to the fact that I’m using 87 octane and not 93. Also, idk if they actually changed anything with the new pcm software, but the electric to gas transition actually seems a bit smoother now even. And my 2-3 shift has been better but I assume that’s due to the adaptive tables being reset
This has me wondering if they are actually updating anything or just ultimately resetting the tables. I don't think I felt this shudder when the truck was brand new; it probably started around 1,000 or 1,500 miles. 🤷

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This has me wondering if they are actually updating anything or just ultimately resetting the tables. I don't think I felt this shudder when the truck was brand new; it probably started around 1,000 or 1,500 miles. 🤷
I noticed my shudder on the drive home from new and it was the same since then until this update.
I don’t actually think adaptive tables can affect it that much - it’s not in the trans as far as everything I’ve seen, it’s in engine programming.

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
Does anyone know if the 5.0 shudders or is this an eb issue?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there. This transmission concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored