First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
I've had my 2020 F150 5.0 in the shop now for 40+ days and counting. Upon arrival I had them looking at oil consumption and a spark knock/ knock from the engine. After weeks they dispatched a FSE to inspect the vehicle. They authorized replacement of the engine after throwing injectors and other various repairs at the knock. This week they got the motor installed and I went to pick up the truck. Upon road testing with the advisor I noticed this shudder. Now mind you I have been very in tune with this truck because of the spark knock and I have never experienced this shudder before until now. I get the shudder in 7th gear between 40-47mph light throttle, almost feathering it. The dealer took it back contacted the FSE and was advisor to replace all coils and plugs on the new motor. After replacing those I was assured the truck was fixed and went down to road test after being told it was good and wouldn't you know it's still there. They now have a new FSE involved and hopefully I'll have answers mid next week. I'll keep everyone updated. I have an open buyback case with Ford due to time down and I hope they do what's right for me as a customer.
Got a call today from the advisor. After a few diagnostic tests they're replacing the high pressure fuel pump and all 8 injectors to remedy the shudder. We shall see. I'll post back up next week once I hear back from them. Going on 42 days down.
Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Hey I found a fix. Sure it's a rough ride around town and crappy gas mileage but I get no shudder when it's in Sport mode. Normal mode shudders like crazy.

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
So I got a call from ford saying that the pinion angle shims didn't fix the shudder, which I expected. They said that they would call ford again and see how to proceed. I received another call this morning and was told that they took it for a test drive and "the transmission took a crap" and that ford was sending an entire new transmission for my truck!!!!
Apparently they took it for a test drive, heard a loud pop and another noise. When they got back to the dealership, transmission fluid was boiling out of it. The service guy said that ford didn't want them to try and rebuild it, they wanted to send an entire new unit.

The saga continues.....
Any update on yours? I'm getting the same BS answers on my truck. They're trying to say today that my level lift is causing a pinion angle issue which is BS. Did the tranny fix your concern? My whole shudder started after my 5.0 had a knock and was replaced for the knock and oil consumption.

TylerL55

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT, 2010 King Ranch
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Any update on yours? I'm getting the same BS answers on my truck. They're trying to say today that my level lift is causing a pinion angle issue which is BS. Did the tranny fix your concern? My whole shudder started after my 5.0 had a knock and was replaced for the knock and oil consumption.
They replaced the transmission and that one went out on the test drive also. Absolutely ridiculous. They said they were bringing a Ford engineer to try and see what the problem is but it wouldn’t be until next week. Currently waiting to hear back about my third buyback.

Sponsored

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
They replaced the transmission and that one went out on the test drive also. Absolutely ridiculous. They said they were bringing a Ford engineer to try and see what the problem is but it wouldn’t be until next week. Currently waiting to hear back about my third buyback.
Jesus... Currently my truck sits at the dealership still. The high pressure fuel pump and injectors didn't fix anything. They're now moving onto vct solenoids and phasers. The service manager tried blaming this shudder that wasn't there until after the engine replacement on my lift. I'm not even going to entertain that. B supposedly the vcts and phasers are getting replaced Monday. Time will tell. Care to pm me about the buyback? Currently I submitted mine to the BBB as well as Ford. B wondering if we can compare notes?

Gearhead2020

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F150 FX4
I have a 2021 F150 Lariat with the same 9th and 10th gear shutter. Been doing it since 300 miles, 2,500 miles on it now. I had a 2018 that had lots of shift and clunking when shifting, hope I don't end up with another bad one.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a 2021 F150 Lariat with the same 9th and 10th gear shutter. Been doing it since 300 miles, 2,500 miles on it now. I had a 2018 that had lots of shift and clunking when shifting, hope I don't end up with another bad one.
Good afternoon Jason! Could you please send over a message with your VIN and dealership information? I will look into this concern for you.

mnorton227

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150
Occupation
Business Development
Any updates from those of you who posted about a shudder in 8, 9, and 10 under light acceleration at highway speed? I have a 2021 XL STX 3.5 EB and it started exhibiting the same issue around 600 miles (mainly highway driving in “normal” drive mode with a lightfoot to maintain cruising speed). I gave it up to 2500 miles to “learn” how to how I drive and the problem was getting more noticeable so I dropped it at the dealer. They kept it for 2 days and said it’s “normal” and it should smooth out by 7500 miles. If not, the service advisor said to bring it back. It should also be noted the advisor said they’ve had several 2021s come back for the same complaint. I now have 2800 miles on it so time will tell. In the meantime, I guess I’ll deal with it but it’s very frustrating when several others seem to have the same issue and Ford ushers you out of the service door saying it’s normal! Please keep this post going and I’ll post an update in months to come! Again, any updates from others?!
i have the same issue as well. It started around 1000 miles. Had it to the dealer 4 times. First time I took their trans service tech for a drive as he could not replicate the shudder. Took him down the freeway at 75 mph going up a slight incline. It started doing it right away. He agreed he felt it. Left it their to have it fixed. The dealer said it wasn’t throwing any error codes and nothing was broke, so they couldn’t do anything. Second time was the same thing, but they did reflash the computer. A few miles later it started again. By now I have 9000 miles on it, so took it in again. Same thing, not throwing a code and nothing broken. I explained that it is even worse when pulling a trailer. Ford sent a field service tech up and pulled the trailer behind the truck and got it to do it right away.They worked on it for 5 hours and went through half a tank of gas and continued to replicate the shudder. They are now saying that the trailer is the issue. I have hauled this trailer(12’ utility trailer) behind a 2016 Silverado, 2014 Ram, 2016 Durango and a 2018 Jeep Compass(4 cylinder with a 9 speed trans) none of those shuddered. I hope Ford is not saying that a 4 cylinder jeep compass can tow a small trailer more competently then a 325hp full size pick up?? Really???

Gearhead2020

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F150 FX4
Good afternoon Jason! Could you please send over a message with your VIN and dealership information? I will look into this concern for you.
i have the same issue as well. It started around 1000 miles. Had it to the dealer 4 times. First time I took their trans service tech for a drive as he could not replicate the shudder. Took him down the freeway at 75 mph going up a slight incline. It started doing it right away. He agreed he felt it. Left it their to have it fixed. The dealer said it wasn’t throwing any error codes and nothing was broke, so they couldn’t do anything. Second time was the same thing, but they did reflash the computer. A few miles later it started again. By now I have 9000 miles on it, so took it in again. Same thing, not throwing a code and nothing broken. I explained that it is even worse when pulling a trailer. Ford sent a field service tech up and pulled the trailer behind the truck and got it to do it right away.They worked on it for 5 hours and went through half a tank of gas and continued to replicate the shudder. They are now saying that the trailer is the issue. I have hauled this trailer(12’ utility trailer) behind a 2016 Silverado, 2014 Ram, 2016 Durango and a 2018 Jeep Compass(4 cylinder with a 9 speed trans) none of those shuddered. I hope Ford is not saying that a 4 cylinder jeep compass can tow a small trailer more competently then a 325hp full size pick up?? Really???
Seems someone from Ford reached out to me, as you can see in my post, but I haven't heard back and do not know who it is exactly. I haven't taken mine in yet, but will complain on the first service. At least we have lemon laws in our state.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Ford F-150 Transmission shudder B0881930-33AA-4DB5-977C-4F7DF4D18C5F

Maybe you’ll have better luck getting them to respond. I gave up after following up with them for over a month…

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
B0881930-33AA-4DB5-977C-4F7DF4D18C5F.png

Maybe you’ll have better luck getting them to respond. I gave up after following up with them for over a month…
Nope never heard a word from the truck team not sure their "truck" team even exist. I had to go another route to
B0881930-33AA-4DB5-977C-4F7DF4D18C5F.png

Yep same experience I had. Why even come to this forum pretend you are a Ford employee make a canned post every now and then just to ignore people. They would be better off never posting.

Dunk33

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
Add me to the list... I have the same shudder problem with 1700 miles on the odometer. Always in 8th to 10th gear, going up a very slight incline between 45 to 55 MPH. Had it at the dealer 2 weeks ago, they said there was an update to the transmission programming so they reset it. The problem improved slightly for a couple days, now its as bad as it was before. My wife won't even drive it because she says it feels like it's going to "fall apart".

Probably unrelated, but I needed to have it towed to the dealer at 900 miles because an ignition coil went bad. Was in the shop for two weeks due to back-order of parts.

I've owned 6 Ford trucks, but if the problem doesn't get addressed this will likely be my last.

Gearhead2020

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F150 FX4
Add me to the list... I have the same shudder problem with 1700 miles on the odometer. Always in 8th to 10th gear, going up a very slight incline between 45 to 55 MPH. Had it at the dealer 2 weeks ago, they said there was an update to the transmission programming so they reset it. The problem improved slightly for a couple days, now its as bad as it was before. My wife won't even drive it because she says it feels like it's going to "fall apart".

Probably unrelated, but I needed to have it towed to the dealer at 900 miles because an ignition coil went bad. Was in the shop for two weeks due to back-order of parts.

I've owned 6 Ford trucks, but if the problem doesn't get addressed this will likely be my last.
Updates never fix anything. I had a 2018 with at least 6 updates. I have never been a Ford guy until my 2016 Sierra had similar transmission issues with their 8 speed. Its a shame that you can't even rely on a new truck.

SCombs12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Designer
I picked up a 3.5 ecoboost on 2/28. Has around 300 miles on it. I’m noticing when I’m barely on the throttle and between the 8th and 10th gear there is a shudder in the transmission. Almost like driving over a rumble strip but not as quite pronounced. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Just now getting into this forum.. I have the exact same issue. Mainly between 8th and 9th @ roughly 1250 rpm. Haven't taken it in yet, but unfortunately glad to see I'm not the only one with that issue. Looks like no one has a resolution yet either.
Sponsored