First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
Print
If it "does" turn out to be chassis alignment issue, why did I hear that 1st from someone other than Ford?!?!?!?!?

Best of luck, thanks for listening to my rants...
Because no one other than Ford can be held accountable. Once they admit it, they have to resolve it.
Sponsored

Winnipeg Jay

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid (Ordered)
Occupation
Engineer
I picked up a 3.5 ecoboost on 2/28. Has around 300 miles on it. I’m noticing when I’m barely on the throttle and between the 8th and 10th gear there is a shudder in the transmission. Almost like driving over a rumble strip but not as quite pronounced. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yep, you described it well. Like a slight rumble strip. I feel it in the steering wheel. My PB has 350 km and it does it around 8th gear.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Custom home builder
Dealer changed their mind I guess. The back seat benches aren't flat. One sits higher than the other. Dealer said it's normal for cloth...
I'm going to be trying a new dealer than the one I bought the truck from. Getting a lot of smoke up my ass from this one.
Back seats in my XLT Sport (delivered last week, after six months post order) sit the same way. Does not look normal to me either.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Custom home builder
I picked up a 3.5 ecoboost on 2/28. Has around 300 miles on it. I’m noticing when I’m barely on the throttle and between the 8th and 10th gear there is a shudder in the transmission. Almost like driving over a rumble strip but not as quite pronounced. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Following....Wondering if your shutter is the same as mine.

Just over 400 miles on my 2021 XLT Sport/FX4 w/5.0. Picked it up a week ago. First cold (upper 20's) morning parked outside of the garage. Accelerating down a straight road about two miles from my house. Around 30mph after a stop [not too heavy on the skinny pedal] and suddenly feel like I am driving on rumble strips. Lasted about 10 to 15 seconds and went away. Will not likely take it to the dealer as I know where that will get me. Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Yep, you described it well. Like a slight rumble strip. I feel it in the steering wheel. My PB has 350 km and it does it around 8th gear.
8th gear is where I experience the worst shudder. 1-7 is great, no issues noted. 9 and 10 shudder too, but no where near as noticeable as 8. It's awful when my truck is in 8th gear anywhere from around 42MPH to 52MPH and going up slight inclines, which is a majority of my commute home from work...

Sponsored

DBJohnston0104

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Limited / 2021 F150 Limited
Torque converter... I just got my 2016 back from the dealer yesterday after 3 weeks. Mine was doing the exact same thing as you all have described. It was the worst at the top end of any gear when I would accelerate just slightly.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Interesting. I have felt the same shudder you all describe in 3 different GM trucks with the 10 speed (same one we have) recently, although my Powerboost doesn’t seem to do it yet. Only at 1900 miles though. That would stand to reason it likely is something in the trans as the engines are obviously different

TylerL55

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT, 2010 King Ranch
Occupation
Controls Engineer
So I got a call from ford saying that the pinion angle shims didn't fix the shudder, which I expected. They said that they would call ford again and see how to proceed. I received another call this morning and was told that they took it for a test drive and "the transmission took a crap" and that ford was sending an entire new transmission for my truck!!!!
Apparently they took it for a test drive, heard a loud pop and another noise. When they got back to the dealership, transmission fluid was boiling out of it. The service guy said that ford didn't want them to try and rebuild it, they wanted to send an entire new unit.

The saga continues.....

JuanTabo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Hello everyone. Gleaning previous experiences and information with a 2018. Cam phaser issues with these motors prompted software update 21B10. A Ford known issue and side effect has caused rare instances of "Engine Shudder" after reprogramming. The fix is to revert to program 21N108. Being that the motors and transmission is basically the same in this new generation F150.... Do the math. These new trucks are delivered with the updated software. Saves Ford's precious expensive cam phasers... But not your sanity. Half ass short sighted fix??? Maybe maybe not. I have no idea. Hopefully Ford will figure it out.

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
Good morning! Would you please send over a private message with your VIN so I can see what I can do to assist with your transmission's behavior?
Ford please check your DM's. I'm experiencing this issue along with a few others. My vehicles been down at the dealer 40 days and counting...?

Sponsored

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
I've had my 2020 F150 5.0 in the shop now for 40+ days and counting. Upon arrival I had them looking at oil consumption and a spark knock/ knock from the engine. After weeks they dispatched a FSE to inspect the vehicle. They authorized replacement of the engine after throwing injectors and other various repairs at the knock. This week they got the motor installed and I went to pick up the truck. Upon road testing with the advisor I noticed this shudder. Now mind you I have been very in tune with this truck because of the spark knock and I have never experienced this shudder before until now. I get the shudder in 7th gear between 40-47mph light throttle, almost feathering it. The dealer took it back contacted the FSE and was advisor to replace all coils and plugs on the new motor. After replacing those I was assured the truck was fixed and went down to road test after being told it was good and wouldn't you know it's still there. They now have a new FSE involved and hopefully I'll have answers mid next week. I'll keep everyone updated. I have an open buyback case with Ford due to time down and I hope they do what's right for me as a customer.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Here’s to hoping they resolve it for you. If they come up with anything please let us know.
I’ve contacted Ford about buying back my truck. Hopefully they’ll attempt to fix it one more time but we’ll see.
the ford account you quoted above never made contact. Hope you have better luck with them

w8nfsnow

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many F-150's to list
Add me, my dad and a buddy to list of shuddering 2021's. All 3 trucks are 2.7's mine has a 3.73 rear end and the other 2 have 3.55's. My Buddys was built early in Jan 2021 and mine and my dads built in October 2021. All trucks are SCREW short box 4x4's. It's really annoying and sad this happens considering how expensive these things are.

The shudder feels somewhat similar to my 2017 screw long box when I had a big load in the box or lots of tongue weight. I would get lots of shudder on initial take off and in the end it was determined to be the changing drive shaft angle through the 2 piece driveshaft (only on long boxes). The angles changed just enough when loaded. I'm not saying this is at all related to the 2021 truck issues just that the feeling is a bit similar.

I guarantee Ford engineering is well aware of this but are willing to live with it (for now) as some sort of trade off for some other problem. I have a call into my dealer but you know how that goes they'll contact Ford and they'll say balance the tires etc. all a waste of everyones time.

Many people may not notice or care but I'm willing to bet most trucks will shudder under same conditions. Maybe the 2.7 motor is more prone to the issue who knows. It sure takes away from the joy of getting a new truck......I'm not very happy.

roxbury29

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150, FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Sales
I have an older F150 - 2014, 3.5 Ecoboost 6 speed trans. does the same thing 4th gear. or when it down-shifts 6 to 4. There is a TSB for the 6speed, I have not tried the fix yet. Some additive to the transmission to lighten or fix it. The TSB for my year; F-150 for TSB-14-0100. ( 6RATF Additive T, by Motorcraft ) . I really only notice it when you really get on the throttle pretty hard. 90% driving never hear it. I guess when I get my 2022 tremor it will likely do the same thing.

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
My truck has the shudder as well, I just chalked it up to being the peasant's package XL and that maybe there wasn't as much sound dampening material but I guess that doesn't matter either.
Sponsored