First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
I got my truck back tonight. The dealer did this tonight. It didn’t do anything. The truck still feels exactly the same…

Last edited:

RWF150

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ecoboost
Occupation
Territory Sales Rep
My 2021 F150 XLT Ecoboost is having all of the already said issues. Started out at 4k miles having a slight vibration prior to down shifting from 10th while towing 6500ish. I have heard from the dealer all the same statements everyone has stated. They recently tested a new F150 Ecoboost to find the same issue. I asked if I could drive it and was told it was already gone/sold. I was told no repairs recommended at this time due to new alike vehicle performing the same.

I now have 18k miles and have vibration in gears 6th through 10th while not towing but is more pronounced with a 6500ish pound trailer. Non stop vibration while towing over 60mph. While towing 6500ish pounds and trying to pass, the engine will now rev a bit with no gain in speed.

Twice while towing 6500ish pounds and passing while traveling between 60mph/70mph, the transmission shifted from 10th to 4th after reviewing moments prior to shifting. Felt a big jerk, pulled over immediately because it wouldn't shift out of 4th, "slammed" into 2nd while slowing down at a rapid rate.

Dealer just "10-26-21" recommended that I contact Ford @ 1-800-392-3673, otherwise kick rocks. Truck has been in the shop on multiple occasions with no change.

I will no longer tow with my truck, scared I guess. I use my old 1 ton 7.3 diesel. My wife refuses to drive it.

This will be my last Ford which is all I've ever known. Had dozens and still have quite a few. I've heard "just bring it in" too many times and now to be told to call the number above. I have no choice but to sale or trade as soon as I can.

All Ford has to do, is make this issue right. They chose otherwise, that is a fact and will remain until they make good with those whom waisted thousands of hard earned dollars on vehicles that don't meet the need as they stated.

zsify03

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5 Eco
Occupation
State Employee
Just had the truck at the dealership for three days. They ran every single test and then some. Ford provided a long list and they were all inconclusive. Shop Foreman has been the one working on it and says there is something wrong but doesn’t know where to check next.

One thing the Shop Foreman related is that they see a 100 RPM surge around when I start feeling the shudder.

Shop Foreman has kept case open and is sending some more information back.

Anyone else have luck!?

Sponsored

RWF150

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ecoboost
Occupation
Territory Sales Rep
I tried the suggested 1-800# route mentioned in my last post. I was asked many questions and treated like I was the first and/or only 2021 owner to have the said issue(s).

I reached out to one of Fords competitors, made an appointment to look at a new truck. When trade evaluation was being processed including the sales manager driving my truck, I was asked if I had any previous issues, specifically transmission issues. They stated that the low trade in bid/value given is due to known transmission "alignment" issues that don't seem to be fixable. That dealer also made me aware of a class action lawsuit regarding recent 10 speed transmission issues. I haven't looked into that yet to know real details. Makes my first paragraph much more interesting doesn't it?!

Carmax low bid it as well but didn't go into detail as to why, even when I asked.

I can only speak for myself, Ford has simply failed. At least with my particular situation. No arguing that fact.

My truck has been at the dealership 8 times/29 days total for transmission issues that have worsened over 18k miles. In the end, I'm told to call a 1-800# to beg for help.

I basically posted on here to vent my issues and share my experience through the process in hopes it would help or even bring light to a sore subject. I have now come to the conclusion that I have a decision to make. Keep it or not....

If I order a grilled chicken and was served a breaded chicken 8 times in a row, then told to be on my way/we know there is something wrong but call this 1-800#...I want my money back and I'm no longer shopping there. And that is over a $15 meal at best...

Trade in bid $36,500
Carmax bid $38,000
Sticker $54,×××

Best of luck all. My decision is to move on and break ties as a life time Ford owner in regards to new purchases. I will keep my old trusty Fords and research before purchasing in the future, lesson learned. I truly don't believe that the issue is going to be addressed properly, well not within my life time anyway.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
My truck has been at the dealership 8 times/29 days total for transmission issues that have worsened over 18k miles.
I haven't gone back and reread all your posts or from others, so maybe this was already posted....

Have you checked the lemon laws in your state ?

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
I haven't gone back and reread all your posts or from others, so maybe this was already posted....

Have you checked the lemon laws in your state ?
I’m giving my dealer one last opportunity to fix my truck and then I’m going this route. Our states law is a full refund of purchase price.
I’m hoping the dealer fixes it. I don’t want to drive a different brand of truck but if they don’t rectify this I’ll never buy another Ford

Last edited:

Not Sure

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
Print
What drives me nuts is the chorus of "first time I've heard of it" from anyone who could be held accountable. We all know they know, and we all know it isn't "normal". I have an order in for a '22, and while I know not every F150 does this, I'm not sure I want to gamble with my 6-spd 2017 XLT that runs just fine. Once I let that go, I'm stuck with whatever I get.

When things like this crop up, we ought to build a dedicated site just for that issue, and SEO the hell out of it so anyone with the issue who googles it can easily find it. A massive public wart like that ought to force the hand of everyone involved to prioritize a fix.

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
What drives me nuts is the chorus of "first time I've heard of it" from anyone who could be held accountable. We all know they know, and we all know it isn't "normal". I have an order in for a '22, and while I know not every F150 does this, I'm not sure I want to gamble with my 6-spd 2017 XLT that runs just fine. Once I let that go, I'm stuck with whatever I get.

When things like this crop up, we ought to build a dedicated site just for that issue, and SEO the hell out of it so anyone with the issue who googles it can easily find it. A massive public wart like that ought to force the hand of everyone involved to prioritize a fix.
I agree with your comment. This is totally not acceptable ! These things are f@#$en expensive to settle with comments from dealerships in regards to ''first I've heard of this '' or this is a normal characteristic of this transmission. Just waiting for my first oil change to bring this up again and depending on how they respond, I could be just selling it back to the dealership and go buy something different !

Sponsored

Not Sure

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
Print
Has anyone asked their techs to just disable adaptive learning? Why is that even necessary? If that's causing the issue, turn it off and see if it goes away, maybe?

Chase

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Has anyone asked their techs to just disable adaptive learning? Why is that even necessary? If that's causing the issue, turn it off and see if it goes away, maybe?
Asked when I went to pick mine up back in July with 2200 miles on it. SA said they don’t do that unless there’s a TSB stating to do it. Now at 5900 and it’s going back next week because it’s gotten worse.

Jack Miter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
So I noticed with my shudder issue that if I run premium 93 octane it goes away, filled back up with 87 octane just to makes sure and sure enough shudder starting coming back.. so maybe this isn’t a transmission problem after all or at least not with mine
This is interesting.

I read the requirements for gas in the manual and it basically says (if I'm not mistaken) it will run on 87 octane but it would really like Top Tier high octane.

I was buying no-name, probably crap 87 octane gas from the local truck stop since day one. When I got down to 1/4 tank this week, I filled it with Top Tier Mobil 93 octane gas (I have a 36 gallon tank... Ouch). I have to say almost immediately I noticed a difference in performance. Response was much better, I noticed there was much less tugging between shifts. When getting on it to merge on the highway there was no hesitation what so ever. The shudder I was getting was mostly at highway speeds on uphill grades... it is definitely much more ironed out. I can still notice some minor tugging but I have to say it feels 75% better. I'm hoping a few more tanks of unblended gas (some left over from the crap gas) it will improve even more. Whether or not this was the issue, or exasperating a different issue who knows.

This "shutter/tugging" feels very similar to an issue I had with my '90 Chevy pickup. I bought it new at the time and after a couple years I had almost the same problem. I had it to the dealer where I bought it and they couldn't "replicate it". A friend suggested I take it to the GMC dealer next town over because the service manager there was very good. I took him on a test drive and he felt it when we were climbing up an offramp. He knew immediately what it was. When we got back to the shop, he opened the hood and with the truck running he took a spray bottle of water and sprayed around the spark plug wires until you could see one of them arcing to the engine block. When the engine is under load it would cause it to skip with each cycle of the spark... tug, tug, tug. It felt just like this shudder thing. He put new wires on and it ran like silk.

Others here have had the torque converter replaced, drive shafts etc. and the issue is still there.
So maybe this is some sort of electrical gremlin... a short somewhere, a module, or a chip thing that is made worse running crap gas.

I can't believe with the amount of complaints about this, some Ford (or otherwise) mechanical mastermind can't think outside the box and diagnose this problem. It is mind numbingly frustrating to have to jump through corporate layers of lip service after shelling out 50k-90k for what you thought was your dream vehicle.

I'm cautiously optimistic they figure this one out. If they don't, I'll probably put up with it a year or so and then jump ship.

Last edited:

RWF150

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ecoboost
Occupation
Territory Sales Rep
Well, I moved forward with getting out of the Ford game in regards to new purchases as I stated in my last couple post. The new car sales manager at the competitor that I traded with asked me several times if I was sure I wanted to make the switch. He stated that the transmission issue that the F150 is having will more than likely be addressed at some point. He pulled up a few sites that are honed in on as training sales tactics for their sales team along with other interesting facts that I wasn't aware of. I found this one very interesting and thought it would be worth sharing here.

"""""(KLKN)- 34,939 2020-2021 Ford F-350 Super Duty trucks are being issued a safety recall due to a problem with the rear axle housing. According to Ford's news release, “Customers may experience vibration and/or shaking while driving at highway speeds, and/or shuddering upon acceleration.Jul 16, 2021"""""

Good luck all

RWF150

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ecoboost
Occupation
Territory Sales Rep
Forgot to mention a couple things before I completely sign off from here...

I've had several tell me the shudder issue is an "alignment" issue that Ford is aware of but they haven't found an inexpensive fix to date. It is proven to not be a torque converter, valve body, timing issue, and/or other possibilities.

Interesting that employees of other manufacturer(s) are those who have mentioned that to me. Long term will be interesting to know what the root cause is. If it "does" turn out to be chassis alignment issue, why did I hear that 1st from someone other than Ford?!?!?!?!?

Best of luck, thanks for listening to my rants...
Sponsored