Transmission shudder

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
My truck has the shudder as well, I just chalked it up to being the peasant's package XL and that maybe there wasn't as much sound dampening material but I guess that doesn't matter either.
Advertisement

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
I've had my 2020 F150 5.0 in the shop now for 40+ days and counting. Upon arrival I had them looking at oil consumption and a spark knock/ knock from the engine. After weeks they dispatched a FSE to inspect the vehicle. They authorized replacement of the engine after throwing injectors and other various repairs at the knock. This week they got the motor installed and I went to pick up the truck. Upon road testing with the advisor I noticed this shudder. Now mind you I have been very in tune with this truck because of the spark knock and I have never experienced this shudder before until now. I get the shudder in 7th gear between 40-47mph light throttle, almost feathering it. The dealer took it back contacted the FSE and was advisor to replace all coils and plugs on the new motor. After replacing those I was assured the truck was fixed and went down to road test after being told it was good and wouldn't you know it's still there. They now have a new FSE involved and hopefully I'll have answers mid next week. I'll keep everyone updated. I have an open buyback case with Ford due to time down and I hope they do what's right for me as a customer.
Got a call today from the advisor. After a few diagnostic tests they're replacing the high pressure fuel pump and all 8 injectors to remedy the shudder. We shall see. I'll post back up next week once I hear back from them. Going on 42 days down.

Dadofjax

First Name
Troy
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Hey I found a fix. Sure it's a rough ride around town and crappy gas mileage but I get no shudder when it's in Sport mode. Normal mode shudders like crazy.

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
So I got a call from ford saying that the pinion angle shims didn't fix the shudder, which I expected. They said that they would call ford again and see how to proceed. I received another call this morning and was told that they took it for a test drive and "the transmission took a crap" and that ford was sending an entire new transmission for my truck!!!!
Apparently they took it for a test drive, heard a loud pop and another noise. When they got back to the dealership, transmission fluid was boiling out of it. The service guy said that ford didn't want them to try and rebuild it, they wanted to send an entire new unit.

The saga continues.....
Any update on yours? I'm getting the same BS answers on my truck. They're trying to say today that my level lift is causing a pinion angle issue which is BS. Did the tranny fix your concern? My whole shudder started after my 5.0 had a knock and was replaced for the knock and oil consumption.

TylerL55

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT, 2010 King Ranch
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Any update on yours? I'm getting the same BS answers on my truck. They're trying to say today that my level lift is causing a pinion angle issue which is BS. Did the tranny fix your concern? My whole shudder started after my 5.0 had a knock and was replaced for the knock and oil consumption.
They replaced the transmission and that one went out on the test drive also. Absolutely ridiculous. They said they were bringing a Ford engineer to try and see what the problem is but it wouldn’t be until next week. Currently waiting to hear back about my third buyback.

Blackbetty202

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT
Occupation
Service Director
They replaced the transmission and that one went out on the test drive also. Absolutely ridiculous. They said they were bringing a Ford engineer to try and see what the problem is but it wouldn’t be until next week. Currently waiting to hear back about my third buyback.
Jesus... Currently my truck sits at the dealership still. The high pressure fuel pump and injectors didn't fix anything. They're now moving onto vct solenoids and phasers. The service manager tried blaming this shudder that wasn't there until after the engine replacement on my lift. I'm not even going to entertain that. B supposedly the vcts and phasers are getting replaced Monday. Time will tell. Care to pm me about the buyback? Currently I submitted mine to the BBB as well as Ford. B wondering if we can compare notes?

Advertisement

Advertisement