ryanc111

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Cavitated due to overfill? So, does that mean air bubbles in the fluid reduced efficiency? Both my reservoirs are just above the minimum line from the factory. Is that the true max fill level? I thought the fill containers were for venting overfill and protecting us from the heat of the risky radiator cap removal attempt.
I believe you’re thinking of the coolant reservoirs rather than transmission fluid.

OP
OP
ryanc111

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
The 10r80 has plenty of space for 2 more quarts than necessary. I believe the recommended level requires something like 13 quarts? I don't know why that number comes to mind. I might be way off. I'll check.
In my original post about lack of transmission knowledge I had almost added….’all I know is what I’ve learned from @Snakebitten’. Ha!

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's 12.7 Quarts. you're way off lol
I don't think he is way off - I read that s 12 L iters. Google says 23.5 pints or 11.1 Liters. 12.7 quarts equal 3.175 Gallons.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
My Service Advisor at my dealer showed me their service manual page. The 10R80 transmission holds 14 quarts.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I believe you’re thinking of the coolant reservoirs rather than transmission fluid.
I sure was thanks 🤦‍♂️
Except for the cavitation part. That holds true regardless.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I don't even understand how over filling happens.

How is there not a meter on the fill device and how is it not manually checked at filling?

Sloppy.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't even understand how over filling happens.

How is there not a meter on the fill device and how is it not manually checked at filling?

Sloppy.
I have no idea how the factory fill is accomplished, but filling up the 10r80, especially from a dry state, is nothing like filling the motor with oil.

The motor is just a gravity fill and a measured quantity can be dumped in.

The transmission's fill spot is at the pan, which doesn't even come close to being able to hold 50% of the fluid necessary to fill the transmission. So you have to have the transmission pump pumping, AND you have to have the thermostat valve open (hot) to allow the fluid to be pumped out of the pan to all the passages throughout.

Not as simple as it might seem.

I'm not excusing anyone though for delivering trucks from the factory below or above the correct level. That's definitely a QC fail.

OP
OP
ryanc111

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I have no idea how the factory fill is accomplished, but filling up the 10r80, especially from a dry state, is nothing like filling the motor with oil.

The motor is just a gravity fill and a measured quantity can be dumped in.

The transmission's fill spot is at the pan, which doesn't even come close to being able to hold 50% of the fluid necessary to fill the transmission. So you have to have the transmission pump pumping, AND you have to have the thermostat valve open (hot) to allow the fluid to be pumped out of the pan to all the passages throughout.

Not as simple as it might seem.

I'm not excusing anyone though for delivering trucks from the factory below or above the correct level. That's definitely a QC fail.
Wondering if it was a factory overfill or perhaps when the auxiliary pump was replaced last year?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If your auxiliary pump was replaced, the pan was dropped. So your fluid level was no longer the factory fill fluid level.

And the service manual for addressing the fluid level AFTER the pan is dropped is to add 5 quarts in order to be able to start the truck.
Note that by dropping the pan you can lose somewhere around 7 quarts, but it can vary based on how much fluid was in the transmission.

The technician is then instructed to bring the transmission up to 205-215F. This ensures that the thermostat has completely opened and the pump has distributed the fluid throughout. Then WITH the engine running, with the thermostat open, with the pump pumping, you check the fluid level and add appropriately.

Do you know what it takes to get the transmission to 205F?
It's time consuming unless they have supporting equipment that heats the fluid up externally. (expensive equipment that not every dealership has? And not every mechanic properly trained)

It's also easy to burn yourself checking the fluid on the 10r80.

I'm convinced these 10r80 with underfill/overfill after servicing is nothing more than the mechanic shortcutting the time consuming and pain in the butt procedure.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
If your auxiliary pump was replaced, the pan was dropped. So your fluid level was no longer the factory fill fluid level.

And the service manual for addressing the fluid level AFTER the pan is dropped is to add 5 quarts in order to be able to start the truck.
Note that by dropping the pan you can lose somewhere around 7 quarts, but it can vary based on how much fluid was in the transmission.

The technician is then instructed to bring the transmission up to 205-215F. This ensures that the thermostat has completely opened and the pump has distributed the fluid throughout. Then WITH the engine running, with the thermostat open, with the pump pumping, you check the fluid level and add appropriately.

It's time consuming unless they have supporting equipment that heats the fluid up externally. (expensive equipment that not every dealership has? And not every mechanic properly trained)

It's also easy to burn yourself checking the fluid on the 10r80.

I'm convinced these 10r80 with underfill/overfill after servicing is nothing more than the mechanic shortcutting the time consuming and pain in the butt procedure.
burn yourself YES sir
does ford not have a procedure like on ...I.E. wifes edge. they removed and replaced fluid using a machine from topside that plugged in to ports on the trans??
205 fluid temp ...exhaust and cats have to be pretty hmmmm WARM o_O
as a helicopter guy...i would find another way vice current way

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Put it in gear on the brakes and keep revs up. That will heat it up. Not sure if the 10 speed has a trans heater on it but it should -- that simply taps the heat from the engine's cooling system. I've got 4 different electrical manuals but no service manual. I just got the $20 sub and scarped as much info from it as I thought I'd need for the various things I've got going on.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
ATF has a flash point of 350 degrees so 270 degrees is concerning but not a major problem. In the old days the ATF would heat up and no one knew it. When trucks started to have digital displays it generated many posts by concerned owners who thought a temp over 200 degrees was bad.
Sponsored