Transmission Not in Park Message

bug892

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor mid - package - Oxford White
Well, after finally having (2) error-free months, I started getting a few new messages on Friday. When I am coming to a stop, the message "Transmission Not in Park" pops up on the display. Everything seems normal, and once I start driving again, the message goes away. This is the same message that I have "legitimately" received when I open the door and the truck isn't in Park. I've checked all 4 doors, slammed them multiple times to make sure they're tight. The horn chirps normally when I lock it (not twice like when a door is open), and the dome lights dim and turn off as normal when I start it.

As it also happens, I'm now also getting a hill assist not available message when I first start the truck.

Any ideas on troubleshooting / fixes?
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sounds like th door closed switch needs adjusting or could be faulty. May show closed when parked but traveling down the road the door may move just enough to trigger the "Transmission Not in Park" message. I would take it to the dealer and have it checked.

Lex_310

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew FX4
Literally just starting having the exact same issue as you after having my XLT 5.0 for 7 months now.

did you ever get it fixed or figure out what’s wrong

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
Well, after finally having (2) error-free months, I started getting a few new messages on Friday. When I am coming to a stop, the message "Transmission Not in Park" pops up on the display. Everything seems normal, and once I start driving again, the message goes away. This is the same message that I have "legitimately" received when I open the door and the truck isn't in Park. I've checked all 4 doors, slammed them multiple times to make sure they're tight. The horn chirps normally when I lock it (not twice like when a door is open), and the dome lights dim and turn off as normal when I start it.

As it also happens, I'm now also getting a hill assist not available message when I first start the truck.

Any ideas on troubleshooting / fixes? Toyota?
[/QUO

AlexF150

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Teacher
Hello did you find out the root cause of the transmission not in park message ?

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I'm gonna ask the dumb question.

Are you wearing your seatbelt?

Puckett88

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Tremor 402A Package - MX4 Cover & Bed Liner
Did this ever get resolved? Mine is doing the exact same thing

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'm gonna ask the dumb question.

Are you wearing your seatbelt?
That's the only time mine has displayed the message when I was moving the truck and not wearing my seatbelt.

Or had the door open.

Puckett88

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Tremor 402A Package - MX4 Cover & Bed Liner

Sponsored

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Mine did the same thing today and had to tow it to the dealer. Transmission not in park warning on the dash, won't start and "P" flashing on the console. I tried disconnecting the battery and closed all the doors hard. Every so often It would start and run but couldn't get it into gear.

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
If you have the center console shifter, I noticed mine has some.. “slack”. When I moved between the shifter, it would click, but obviously didn’t go into gear.

I pressed the button to lower the shifter, then pressed the button to raise the shifter. All good now!

Hopefully it’s that’s simple.

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
If you have the center console shifter, I noticed mine has some.. “slack”. When I moved between the shifter, it would click, but obviously didn’t go into gear.

I pressed the button to lower the shifter, then pressed the button to raise the shifter. All good now!

Hopefully it’s that’s simple.
Yes, center console. However, it would not do anything. I tried pulling and pushing the shifter, trying to get it to stow and tried putting it in manual. Nothing but a flashing "p"

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Fixed (So far) with TSB 21-2141. That wasn't the symptoms of my truck but that is what they did.

dirkadxb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT
I've got a 2022 F-150 XLT and this has been happening to me for months. It got misdiagnosed twice and now they are confident its the Gear Shift Module which they've ordered so I'm now waiting for that.

Here's the scary part. The dealership has said I can drive around safely with no issues. It was fine until yesterday where I was reversing and the gear shifter shifted from R to P and the vehicle abruptly stopped. 10 minutes later, I was rolling up to a stop sign and the same thing happened - an abrupt whiplash of a stop. I called the dealership and told them to come pick it up. Can't risk that driving down the road at decent speed.
Sponsored