Transmission Issue Advise

merc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
I brought my truck in to get the insulator recall done (just rivets) and I asked the service advisor to have the tech check the transmission. The transmission has always been very clunky and shifted rough in most of the gears. I would also get a bang after coming to a stop on a 3 degree or more decline after letting off the brake to start going again. I have about 5k miles on the truck now and I figured it would eventually stop after it was broken in however, it has not.
The tech drove it and identified the same issues. He checked the transmission fluid level and said it was low so, he filled it with 2 qts of trans fluid. I picked up the truck, drove it home, and as soon as I parked it in the garage I noticed light smoke from the engine bay. I popped the hood and could see it was coming from the back of the engine toward the firewall. I looked under the truck and saw a large puddle of red fluid and it was also all over the bottom of the truck. I dropped it back off at the dealership. They called me today and said they found a leak between the transmission and transfer case and said the output shaft seal needs to be replaced.
Do you think they are BSing me and are trying to avoid looking into the issue further? It wasn’t ever leaking and after they filled it, it started leaking. Any advise or things to mention to them would be very appreciated.

2021 F-150 FX4 5.0, October 2021 build
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It could have leaked and you were running with low fluid for a long time. They add fluid, and now you found the leak. It could also be that they added to much fluid, and when it heated up and expanded it blew the seal. Hard to tell really. I can see where low fluid would give you rough shifts though.

OP
OP
merc

merc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
It could have leaked and you were running with low fluid for a long time. They add fluid, and now you found the leak. It could also be that they added to much fluid, and when it heated up and expanded it blew the seal. Hard to tell really. I can see where low fluid would give you rough shifts though.
The truck is always parked in the garage when not in use, I'm very confident I would have seen transmission fluid if it was leaking.

I think you're right, they probably added too much and it blew the seal.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I brought my truck in to get the insulator recall done (just rivets) and I asked the service advisor to have the tech check the transmission. The transmission has always been very clunky and shifted rough in most of the gears. I would also get a bang after coming to a stop on a 3 degree or more decline after letting off the brake to start going again. I have about 5k miles on the truck now and I figured it would eventually stop after it was broken in however, it has not.
The tech drove it and identified the same issues. He checked the transmission fluid level and said it was low so, he filled it with 2 qts of trans fluid. I picked up the truck, drove it home, and as soon as I parked it in the garage I noticed light smoke from the engine bay. I popped the hood and could see it was coming from the back of the engine toward the firewall. I looked under the truck and saw a large puddle of red fluid and it was also all over the bottom of the truck. I dropped it back off at the dealership. They called me today and said they found a leak between the transmission and transfer case and said the output shaft seal needs to be replaced.
Do you think they are BSing me and are trying to avoid looking into the issue further? It wasn’t ever leaking and after they filled it, it started leaking. Any advise or things to mention to them would be very appreciated.

2021 F-150 FX4 5.0, October 2021 build
Good morning, James! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these transmission concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

jdr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5EB
Occupation
Retired Fire / EMS
I'm having a similar issue. The transmission surges when shifting from 5 to 6. I also have the bang when it is down shifting moving from 3, 2, 1.

Sponsored

OP
OP
merc

merc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
I'm having a similar issue. The transmission surges when shifting from 5 to 6. I also have the bang when it is down shifting moving from 3, 2, 1.
went to pick it up yesterday after they replaced the seal…there was trans fluid below the truck, so it was still leaking. Unbelievable.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150XLT 2.7
if it was over filled, it would take longer than just driving home from the dealer to blow the seals just my 2 cents

jdr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5EB
Occupation
Retired Fire / EMS
l found it interesting, there is no longer a 'dip stick' for the transmission. We, as consumers, can no longer check it's level.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this transmission concern on your F-150. Thanks!

jdr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5EB
Occupation
Retired Fire / EMS
Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this transmission concern on your F-150. Thanks!
How does one send a 'private' message.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
l found it interesting, there is no longer a 'dip stick' for the transmission. We, as consumers, can no longer check it's level.
Been like this for a long time. Wife had a Chevy HHR with no tranny dipstick. This was over 10 years ago.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
It does have a tiny dipstick it's just a major pain to get to

something like this

329b98e2-0adc-43a5-b0ed-7876bbf490a7-jpeg.jpg
Must be noted.
Do not remove that plug/dipstick UNLESS the transmission is warmed up and the engine is RUNNING.
you will end up with transmission fluid everywhere except in the transmission.

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Thinking they overfilled it. The chance you were 2 quarts low after 5k miles with no visible leak is doubtful.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I just saw a recall for transmission fluid low on my Late Oct/Nov built 21. It was reported by the FordPass app.
bizarrely, when I looked at the app a second time, recall had disappeared.
Sponsored