Transmission 3rd gear slipping

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
(I could have sworn there was already a thread or two about this but multiple search attempts came up empty so I started this new thread - if there is already a germane thread please let me know)

Truck has 10,500 miles. Drove ~1,200 miles over the weekend, mostly freeway (70-80 MPH) and truck was excellent for the most part and averaged 20.1 MPG (y)

However, I noticed more than ever a concerning slip in the trans in 3rd gear only. My truck shifts from 1 to 2 when it should (when I give it the spurs) but usually shifts from 1 to 3 and kind of hangs out in 3rd for a while longer than other gears as RPMs come up enough before it shifts to 4th. During this prolonged time in 3rd I definitely perceive some transmission slip like the torque converter isn't locking. Usually, as soon as I punch it it locks the TC and the turbos engage and the truck screams, but sometimes the turbos kick in but the TC seems to slip throughout the RPM range and the truck shudders a bit. It's hard to repeat the issue, but there are time the TC slips in 3rd enough that I back off the accelerator and then it'll lock in, which isn't too confidence inspiring. I do believe it could damage the transmission when it does this in 3rd gear. Might this be corrected by a PCM update? Or a transmission oil level issue? The rest of the gears are great and overall really happy with the shifting/transmission. Just 3rd gear is weird.

I think I have a PCM update pending but would someone mind checking my VIN again and maybe provide some description/change log for the PCM if provided in FDRS? 1FTFX1E8XMKE93061
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I would take it in to the dealer and get this on the record for your truck while it is under warranty. Even if the dealer does nothing you will be in a better position down the road to have repairs covered by Ford.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I would take it in to the dealer and get this on the record for your truck while it is under warranty. Even if the dealer does nothing you will be in a better position down the road to have repairs covered by Ford.

Exactly!
Sponsored