Sponsored

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Sprinter, BMW R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM
I have pretty much confirmed my order was a victim of this latest issue. Order was through work via a fleet company so I get better visibility into production and shipping status, accuracy is also much better than Ford’s tracker. Original order from 3/1 was finally built on 7/28 with an ETA of 8/9. It shipped on 8/2. Now there’s NO ETA at all in the system and it’s listed as “Shipping Delay”. So if you see pictures of a wrecked Carbonized Gray Lariat in Sport trim it’s probably the one I ordered.
Is that the 'normal' production schedule in these COVID times?? Five months plus to get an ordered F150??
Sponsored

Airlifter2

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, SuperCab FX4 157" Iconic Silver
Occupation
Political researcher / publisher / Activist leader
I have pretty much confirmed my order was a victim of this latest issue. Order was through work via a fleet company so I get better visibility into production and shipping status, accuracy is also much better than Ford’s tracker. Original order from 3/1 was finally built on 7/28 with an ETA of 8/9. It shipped on 8/2. Now there’s NO ETA at all in the system and it’s listed as “Shipping Delay”. So if you see pictures of a wrecked Carbonized Gray Lariat in Sport trim it’s probably the one I ordered.
SO SORRY for your loss. I hope that Ford takes all those customer special orders that got killed on the train and moves them to the front of the line for re-production.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Typical american waste. Just like when the gov't. paid to have some nice old cars crushed. I wonder if the EPA is requiring them all to be crushed or the Ins. co. is.?
Just curious.
EPA isn't concerned with these trucks as long as they meet government regulations. Insurance companies don't own the trucks, so they really can't require anything to be done with them. It's a purely financial decision if barely damaged cars are shredded. Just like when Amazon and Apple destroy new or serviceable products because it's a better accounting decision.

I don't believe it's either. It comes down to a liability issue. If a person was injured in one of those vehicles, a lawyer could make a case it was faulty because of the train wreck.
If I had to guess, not a single one of these trucks can be sold as new, not a single part can be reused because if anything happens, even if someone has a minor injury from being rear-ended or crashes into a telephone pole drunk in a police chase going 100MPH, lawyers will try and show the manufacture is at fault and with a jury or judge, it's pretty reasonable that a train derailment can cause damage. However, there is precedent for selling damaged vehicles with branded titles, there's a few different options.

The NHTSA sells their crash test vehicles as salvage unrebuildable, which means that they can never legally be used on the street, some states also have unrebuildable titles for the really damaged vehicles. Others have water damage and hail damage brands in addition to the more common rebuildable/rebuilt titles and lemon law buyback or inaccurate odometer statements on the titles. So far, there's no 'mystery damage' titles for a brand new vehicle that had an unusually rough ride during transport. A lot of minor body damage is repaired by the dealerships without anyone being the wiser but something like a train derailment or capsized ferry is something else entirely!

The decision by Mazda to shred its cars was said to be a safety and quality issue, but really they did have other options and they chose the option best for them financially, since as a car manufacturer, they make money building cars. If they are damaged in transit and they can take a payout, write off a loss or a combination of the two and still make more; it would be foolish financially to flood the market with thousands of brand new somewhat damaged cars and take a smaller payout/write-off.

Is that the 'normal' production schedule in these COVID times?? Five months plus to get an ordered F150??
That's about how long it took for my order and I took delivery before the chip shortages.

I have pretty much confirmed my order was a victim of this latest issue...
That's pretty inconvenient and it's almost more frustrating than the other vehicles on the forum that were damaged/destroyed while being transported. Since there's still a possibility that your truck was on one of the unaffected train cars, it might still be delivered but then you will need to decide if you still want a brand new truck that was on a derailed train.

Though, from the pictures, it might be a good idea to place another order ASAP, if you are patient enough to wait. Then, if the truck does wind up being one of the destroyed ones, you might be able to get the order prioritized

If your order status changes, I know a lot of forum members are interested in what happens. Should the status be updated to lost/damaged or something like that, you might be able to look up the VIN on one of the salvage auction sites.

Good luck with your truck!

Sponsored

Bbass5

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
If they are damaged in transit and they can take a payout, write off a loss or a combination of the two and still make more; it would be foolish financially to flood the market with thousands of brand new somewhat damaged cars and take a smaller payout/write-off.
This makes a lot of sense! Probably the best explanation for it. Thanks. I've been wondering why Ford just wouldn't sell them at a discount with the owner signing a liability waiver.

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
Seems to have been some sort of normal for quite a while. But I ordered my Lariat on April 7 and it was delivered June 8....so eight weeks for my truck...which seems to be a rarity.

spins4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2015 GTR
Occupation
Project Executive
EPA isn't concerned with these trucks as long as they meet government regulations. Insurance companies don't own the trucks, so they really can't require anything to be done with them. It's a purely financial decision if barely damaged cars are shredded. Just like when Amazon and Apple destroy new or serviceable products because it's a better accounting decision.

If I had to guess, not a single one of these trucks can be sold as new, not a single part can be reused because if anything happens, even if someone has a minor injury from being rear-ended or crashes into a telephone pole drunk in a police chase going 100MPH, lawyers will try and show the manufacture is at fault and with a jury or judge, it's pretty reasonable that a train derailment can cause damage. However, there is precedent for selling damaged vehicles with branded titles, there's a few different options.

The NHTSA sells their crash test vehicles as salvage unrebuildable, which means that they can never legally be used on the street, some states also have unrebuildable titles for the really damaged vehicles. Others have water damage and hail damage brands in addition to the more common rebuildable/rebuilt titles and lemon law buyback or inaccurate odometer statements on the titles. So far, there's no 'mystery damage' titles for a brand new vehicle that had an unusually rough ride during transport. A lot of minor body damage is repaired by the dealerships without anyone being the wiser but something like a train derailment or capsized ferry is something else entirely!

The decision by Mazda to shred its cars was said to be a safety and quality issue, but really they did have other options and they chose the option best for them financially, since as a car manufacturer, they make money building cars. If they are damaged in transit and they can take a payout, write off a loss or a combination of the two and still make more; it would be foolish financially to flood the market with thousands of brand new somewhat damaged cars and take a smaller payout/write-off.

That's about how long it took for my order and I took delivery before the chip shortages.

That's pretty inconvenient and it's almost more frustrating than the other vehicles on the forum that were damaged/destroyed while being transported. Since there's still a possibility that your truck was on one of the unaffected train cars, it might still be delivered but then you will need to decide if you still want a brand new truck that was on a derailed train.

Though, from the pictures, it might be a good idea to place another order ASAP, if you are patient enough to wait. Then, if the truck does wind up being one of the destroyed ones, you might be able to get the order prioritized

If your order status changes, I know a lot of forum members are interested in what happens. Should the status be updated to lost/damaged or something like that, you might be able to look up the VIN on one of the salvage auction sites.

Good luck with your truck!
Appreciate the well wishes everyone. I wish I could provide an update, the status through the fleet company is the same as it was last week. No ETA, just "Shipping or Transportation Delay". What's funny is the Ford Order Tracker is saying delivery will be between August 14th through the 20th which cannot be right. The fleet company tracking has been accurate to within a day or two in the past.

Anyway, I would think someone with Ford or NS would have figured out what trucks were in the derailed cars and thus a complete loss versus the trucks on rail cars that remained upright and communicate some information to customers. Frustrating that nobody seems to know anything. And so we wait...some more. As I get updates I'll be sure to share.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Seems to have been some sort of normal for quite a while. But I ordered my Lariat on April 7 and it was delivered June 8....so eight weeks for my truck...which seems to be a rarity.
I was similarly lucky. Ordered my XLT 302A PB Jan 18 and picked it up March 23rd. Wasn't long after that things got really slow.
Whomever is waiting for these trucks/vans/cars, I feel for you. Hopefully, most of these are dealer stock - or better yet, fleet vehicle inventory. It looks like they are all white!

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
This makes a lot of sense! Probably the best explanation for it. Thanks. I've been wondering why Ford just wouldn't sell them at a discount with the owner signing a liability waiver.
Owner waiver fine. But what about all the other drivers on the road if one of these particular FORDS crashed into an innocent because of faulty equip caused by previous train accident damage. Im just purely hypothetically speaking.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Owner waiver fine. But what about all the other drivers on the road...because of faulty equip caused by previous train accident damage. Im just purely hypothetically speaking.
That's what Salvage/Rebuilt titles are for. When you buy a totaled car/truck, after it's been repaired; in most states an inspection will occur to ensure that the proper repairs have taken place and that the vehicle operates safely. At that point, any liabilities that arise from the repair will rest on the rebuilder or the manufacturer of the parts.

Interestingly, car companies have tried to weasel out of recall repairs and liability for accidents that occurred due to failures unrelated to the reasons that the vehicle was totaled. For example, a truck is given a salvage title because of hail damage but the truck had bad tie-rods from the factory. The original manufacturer is on the hook if they fail and also has to replace them as part of a recall campaign.

I'm less worried about rebuilt vehicles and more worried about all the states that don't have annual safety inspections. Deferred maintenance and rust damage is far more of a risk than imagined gremlins resulting from getting jostled around in a train car. For any with crushed cabs and frame damage, it's a pretty easy call but if it's just a few scuffs and scrapes, the trucks didn't suffer any more than they would driving on a road filled with potholes for a few thousand miles. A quick test drive and thorough inspection should be sufficient to see if there's any hidden problems and if a connector came loose or wire broken, that would have happened do the road anyway.

A couple years ago, I noticed a late 90's Honda Accord parked next to me and it only had three of five wheel bolts installed on one of the front wheels. While I was looking for a pen and paper to leave a note; the driver came over, he was a college kid and he had three other college kid passengers with him. I told him he was missing two wheel bolts and that he should check the torque on the remaining ones, he dismissively said he knew and then I informed him and his passengers that the wheel was designed to be held on by 5 wheel bolts, not 3 and that they stood a real possibility of the wheel flying the fuck off at the worst possible time. I told him I would help take a wheel bolt each off of the rear wheels and install them on the front wheel because the front wheel is more important and then I told him he could get replacements from the Autozone down the road for $5 a pop. He was still more annoyed than concerned, so I told his passengers that if any of them were killed when the wheel fell off, it wasn't my fault and if their buddy drove as well as he took care of his car, I would hope that I wasn't anywhere near them. They all kind of gave him a look and he said he would tell his dad about it, despite leaving himself open to even more of a dressing down, I left it at that. Then there was the time a girlfriend picked me up in her car and I noticed both passenger tires were nearly flat, after filling them up with air at a gas station, her defense was "I never go on that side of the car." So, while some drivers are worried about every possible thing that can go wrong on a perfectly functioning vehicle, there's many more who could care less and will literally drive their cars until the wheels fall off.

...status through the fleet company is the same as it was last week. No ETA, just "Shipping or Transportation Delay". What's funny is the Ford Order Tracker is saying delivery will be...

...I would think someone with Ford or NS would have figured out what trucks were in the derailed cars
Right now, they're likely more worried about getting the trucks off the train cars without damaging the trucks even more as well as not killing any of their workers. Trains are dangerous enough when they're on the tracks, derailed train cars are another story entirely. Now that the derailed cars have been cleared and the tracks repaired, they are probably going to be a lot more leisurely about the operation.

Right now, a refundable $100 deposit on a new order is cheap insurance if your truck was destroyed, or even damaged to an extent that you might refuse delivery. I know that I wouldn't want a truck with even superficial damage if it meant that the truck needed a visit to the bodyshop.

It would be interesting to know what happened with these vehicles in other train mishaps:

https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/f...mashes-into-bridge-causes-2m-in-damage-video/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-gladiator-wrangler-chevy-nevada-train-derailment/

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
So I wonder if those of us who were actually lucky enough to get a 2021 F150 in 2021 will now have a "collectors edition"? ?