Sponsored

Trailer Tow Power Issue

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I am getting ready to tow. I have done my trailer set up in sync 4. I checked all the trailer tow terminals at the connector by the rear bumper. All the turn signals and brake signals work when tested with a multi meter. I do not get any voltage at the trailer brake terminal when brake is applied manually , and no power at the charging terminal. All testing done with the truck running in park. I have checked all the fuses they are OK. Someone here made mention of a TRM plug, don't know what that is or the location. I have a scheduled a service appointment in two weeks. If it is just a simple plug that someone forgot to check, if I new the location to check it that would help.
Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Id connect your trailer and test first...I thought I read that If no trailer is connected I don’t believe you will get power to those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I got a chance to check thing out again. First I plugged the trailer into the truck. Tung jack not working, and no power to the battery leads to the trailer battery. Went threw the trailer set up again, for my Lance trailer. Checked again jack works and power to the battery leads at the trailer. Tried the default trailer, and it also works. Not sure what I did, but I will check again before I cancel my appointment. I did enable the brake controller on the touch screen. Also you are correct even thou everything was working at the trailer. When I unplugged the pig tail from the truck, it still showed no power with the tester at the bumper receptacle.

glockcopbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Project Manager
I assume you got this working? I will post a response incase someone else searches this post.

Starting on the 2019 (possibly earlier), you have to plug in the trailer and then step on the brake pedal to activate the relay to send power to the trailer. The truck has to realize a trailer is plugged in for it to send power. the power output is also limited compared to older trailer wiring harnesses. the older Fords gave you a 30A relay to plug into your fuse box sending 30A to the trailer. now it is only a trickle charge. it is enough to turn on the camper lights and run the tongue jack but not charge the battery.
Sponsored