Trailer Tow Mirror question.

Beernut0875

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F250 Platinum
Couple questions on the trailer tow mirror package...

Are they auto fold when the vehicle turns off, or do I have to push a button?

Are the normal mirrors auto fold, or do I have to push a button?

do the towing mirrors have an amber running light on the outside at night?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
If you questions on the trailer tow mirror package...

1. Auto (maybe a setting though)
2. Only If you get that option
3. Yes, from what we have seen.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Couple questions on the trailer tow mirror package...

Ford F-150 Trailer Tow Mirror question. FE8011F3-164F-47A7-9A16-622938B42579

Motown

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
One of my biggest complaints is not having the option for power fold mirrors on the XLT. I have the tow mirrors on my 2018 now and ordered my 2021 with them, but am so tired of manually opening and closing them to get into gates, car washes, etc.

I loved having the power fold option on my past Super Duty trucks, but wish they would have given the option on the XLT.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
One of my biggest complaints is not having the option for power fold mirrors on the XLT. I have the tow mirrors on my 2018 now and ordered my 2021 with them, but am so tired of manually opening and closing them to get into gates, car washes, etc.

I loved having the power fold option on my past Super Duty trucks, but wish they would have given the option on the XLT.
This translates to sales marketing. They know you want that, but if you want enough options you'll spend $10K more and get a Lariat.

Sponsored

jimcam22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Lariat HDPP
But if you tow a trailer and need the HDPP you cannot get it on a Lariat.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
1. Auto (maybe a setting though)
2. Only If you get that option
3. Yes, from what we have seen.
Tim
Are you sure the tow mirrors fold when you power off?

My 2018 in a KR didn't or I never saw a setting for that. Would love it if it would though.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Tim
Are you sure the tow mirrors fold when you power off?

My 2018 in a KR didn't or I never saw a setting for that. Would love it if it would though.
Interesting. The manual pasted above shows the "autofold" setting as an option. But you have always had the tow mirrors so I also trust your knowledge.

Which raises one more question, which is telescoping... I thought they were electronic telescoping as well but I don't see where it is an independent function. If they fold out to normal drive position, do they automatically telescope out as well? I just assumed I'd be able to add a few inches only when towing, but then pull them in the few inches for normal everyday driving.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Interesting. The manual pasted above shows the "autofold" setting as an option. But you have always had the tow mirrors so I also trust your knowledge.

Which raises one more question, which is telescoping... I thought they were electronic telescoping as well but I don't see where it is an independent function. If they fold out to normal drive position, do they automatically telescope out as well? I just assumed I'd be able to add a few inches only when towing, but then pull them in the few inches for normal everyday driving.
Well the manual is showing a stock mirror, the tow mirrors use to work some different so don't know what they are doing for the 21s.

Will have to check the manual and see if there is a specific info for the Tow mirrors.

The high end tow mirror will power out the low end ones you have to pull them out I believe.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
In 2019 non of the mirrors auto folded. Depending on model the mirror could be power folding and power retracting or manual folding and manual extending / retracting. Power Folding, power telescoping is Lariat on up...

It appears that the 2021 will come equipped with auto folding suspect this will be the case for both the standard mirror and the Trailer mirror but I am not able to verify.

Trailer Tow Mirrors, Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass – Heat, Turn Signal, Memory, Auto-Dimming Feature (Driver's Side), High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, LED Sideview Mirror Spotlights and Chrome Skull Caps

and from the 2021 manual

FOLDING THE EXTERIOR MIRRORS - VEHICLES WITH: POWER FOLDING MIRRORS The exterior mirrors fold when you lock your vehicle and unfold when you unlock your vehicle. For tight parking conditions, press the control to fold the mirrors. Press the control switch again to unfold the mirrors. Note: Do not stop the mirrors midway through their movement. Wait until the mirrors stop moving and press the control again. The left-hand and right-hand mirrors move at different rates. For example, one mirror may stop while the other one continues to move. This is normal. If you press the control switch to fold in the mirrors with auto-fold on, the mirrors do not unfold when you unlock your vehicle. Note: The power folding mirrors operate with the ignition on, and for several minutes after you switch the ignition off. Note: If you fold and unfold the mirrors several times within one minute, the power fold function may turn off to protect the motors from overheating.
Exterior Mirrors Switching Auto-fold On and Off
1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
2. Press Vehicle Settings.
3. Press Mirrors.
4. Switch Autofold on or off.

Power Telescoping Mirrors (If Equipped) This feature lets you position both mirrors at the same time. E218902 A. Extend. B. Retract. To adjust your mirrors, make sure you switch your vehicle on, with the ignition in accessory mode or the engine running.
1. Press and release the control switch.
2. Press the adjustment control to position the mirrors. 3. Press the left arrow to extend the mirrors out. Press the right arrow to retract the mirrors in.

Note: Moving the mirrors 10 or more times within one minute, or repeated folding and unfolding of the mirrors when holding the control down during full travel, could disable the system to protect the motors from overheating. Wait approximately three minutes with the vehicle running, and up to 10 minutes with the vehicle off, for the system to reset and for function to return to normal.
Sponsored