Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Hey guys - just setting up my new Lariat PB to tow my Airstream...everything was good until I got this message. I checked all the Trailer turn signals and they both work fine when Im hooked up. Power to my Airstream's BT rear camera, trailer brakes, side marker lights and as mentioned the turn signal lamps. The truck recognized that the trailer was connected and did al the enabling/disabling of the different systems.

The message keeps coming up even after I acknowledge it by hitting OK. Sometimes it goes away sometime I have to hit the OK. Also took a picture of the plug on the F150 and the the 7-way from the Airstream. I am going to look up the 7 way plug diagram and see if there is something off...but everything works. Anybody have an idea?

Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault IMG_1907.JPG

Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault IMG_1905.JPG

Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault IMG_1904.JPG
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’m not sure of the pin out on a 7 pin, as my oldies all use 6 pin.
But, there is a bent contact on the trailer side that may be inhibiting whatever the hell monitors the lighting loads.
It may be the lamp is on but not at 100% or it is taking too much amperage to light it up.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I’m not sure of the pin out on a 7 pin, as my oldies all use 6 pin.
But, there is a bent contact on the trailer side that may be inhibiting whatever the hell monitors the lighting loads.
It may be the lamp is on but not at 100% or it is taking too much amperage to light it up.
That's why I posted the pic...because it does look off. But I figured since everything was working the connection was good. I guess I'll push that contact toward the center and see if that does it. Will reply with results.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Pushed the contact even with the others and error light still came on. All lights/electronics working. Dealer said could be something to do with the trailer ground. Not sure how to check that.

just want to confirm if anyone on here has connected a travel trailer or better yet a late model airstream with no 7 way error.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Just looking at the picture, the ground pin does look corroded (the pin with the green and white stuff at the top left). You could try cleaning it up with a brush and/or some electrical contact cleaner.

If that helps some dielectric grease on all the pins would prevent the corrosion from coming back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Just looking at the picture, the ground pin does look corroded (the pin with the green and white stuff at the top left). You could try cleaning it up with a brush and/or some electrical contact cleaner.

If that helps some dielectric grease on all the pins would prevent the corrosion from coming back.
I’ll give that a try...thx for the advice.

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
You could also try a test plug... something like this to see if it’s on the truck side of things...
Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault 27CE0F33-DBCE-4569-AEAD-A7DE963F3F18

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Just picked up my boat today, the adapter that came with the truck for 4-way flat is extremely tight & hard to put on the adapter. Once on &adapter plugged in, I keep getting fault on left blinker. . I also hooked up a utility trailer with 7 pin, also gets the same fault. I clear the fault, comes back every few minutes. looks like a trip to the dealer
Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault CBB0776E-800B-4AFC-9B06-DD509ED785E1

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
You could also try a test plug... something like this to see if it’s on the truck side of things...
27CE0F33-DBCE-4569-AEAD-A7DE963F3F18.jpeg
just added to my Amazon cart....as you can tell I’m new to diagnosing trailer issues...just started towing with this AS like 6 months ago. Learning a lot...thanks..

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Just picked up my boat today, the adapter that came with the truck for 4-way flat is extremely tight & hard to put on the adapter. Once on &adapter plugged in, I keep getting fault on left blinker. . I also hooked up a utility trailer with 7 pin, also gets the same fault. I clear the fault, comes back every few minutes. looks like a trip to the dealer
CBB0776E-800B-4AFC-9B06-DD509ED785E1.jpeg
Please keep us posted with dealer diagnosis. I’m going try a couple things provided by the fine folks on this thread but if no luck maybe we have similar issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Well I cleaned up my 7-pin and still got the error. Used the tester that was referenced in the thread and it showed the R/L turn signals were working fine. Before I take it in to the dealer I am going to stop at a RV dealership nearby and ask if I can plug some of the 7-pin connectors from some trailers on the lot. If I get the error then I know it's something with the truck...if I don't then I know I need to talk to my Airstream dealer.

While I was troubleshooting I noticed an abnormal Right Turn signal flash while I was connected to the 7-pin. I captured on this clip (turn up the volume)...you can see/hear when I engage the Right signal it does a quick signal at the beginning and turns to a normal pattern, I engage the Left signal and it's just the normal pattern. When I unplug the 7-way both R and L signals flash normal.

Anyone ever experience this...could be related to the error message? BTW - I towed the Airstream this past weekend with the wife's X5 and no issues or related warning messages.

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I like the idea of trying a different connector at the RV dealer. For what it’s worth I have a 16 and have always had false alerts about the turn sign light fault with my boat trailer. The only thing I have found in my case the fix it is I use a 7 to 5 adapter and when the fault alert becomes numerous I buy a new adapter and it goes away. On my third adapter btw. I think these trucks are very sensitive for those lamp faults and if there is any resistance in the current it faults. Current one does have dielectric grease and it’s the longest lasting so far...

Texag96

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
I have a similar issue when towing my boat trailer. Purchased truck on Friday and towed boat on Saturday. I kept get an alert about my trailers left turn signal. I checked all trailer lights and they were working correctly. I’m going to dealer tomorrow to get windows tinted and will notify them about my issue.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I have a similar issue when towing my boat trailer. Purchased truck on Friday and towed boat on Saturday. I kept get an alert about my trailers left turn signal. I checked all trailer lights and they were working correctly. I’m going to dealer tomorrow to get windows tinted and will notify them about my issue.
Looks like you, ReelTIme and myself are getting similar issues. Could this be the next issue this forum bubbles up to the top.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My '17 always had issues with the brake line, but it didn't give faults. I only knew by testing the squeeze trigger manually. I have to get out of the truck, reseat the plug, and that usually did the trick. I regularly cleaned my contacts on both the truck side and trailer side, but I still would get the problem.

Hoping the new one doesn't have contact issues, which would suggest it was the truck before. *fingers crossed*

Anyway, interested to hear the findings! I plan to hook up and test things this Saturday (and adjust my WDH height for 4x4 from a 4x2) and hoping for no issues...
Sponsored