First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
@kevdog0710 , On Tuesday, you said, “They contacted Ford and got the attached response, which does mention the LED issue.”
I forget to add attachments at work sometimes! Here it is.
I did end up using contact cleaner and a small file to clean all the contact surfaces on the truck as well as my camper. The truck pins definitely had corrosion, I believe Ford likely received the part in that condition. New grease applied to both plugs, everything works as it should.
Leave tomorrow for a 200 mile trip, so its a relief everything is working.
Are you having similar issues?

Ford F-150 Trailer Right Turn Lamp Fault 20220812_112319

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
I forget to add attachments at work sometimes! Here it is.
I did end up using contact cleaner and a small file to clean all the contact surfaces on the truck as well as my camper. The truck pins definitely had corrosion, I believe Ford likely received the part in that condition. New grease applied to both plugs, everything works as it should.
Leave tomorrow for a 200 mile trip, so its a relief everything is working.
Are you having similar issues?

20220812_112319.jpg
hi. Thank you. I don’t see mention of LEDs in there but I think I get the gist.

I’ve had a “right turn” or “left turn” fault when my lights are on when using LeD bulbs. I’ve tried resistors but they didn’t work. Also getting a “trailer disconnected” error that is intermittent and eventually stops and that happens only after I’ve turned off the truck and then back on, like when getting gas. Very annoying stuff. The lights work fine and the brakes work fine, luckily, but the trailer data screen says disconnected, the brake gain display shows nothing and it is maddening to have to clear that “bong!” Alert over and over for miles after getting gas.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
hi. Thank you. I don’t see mention of LEDs in there but I think I get the gist.

I’ve had a “right turn” or “left turn” fault when my lights are on when using LeD bulbs. I’ve tried resistors but they didn’t work. Also getting a “trailer disconnected” error that is intermittent and eventually stops and that happens only after I’ve turned off the truck and then back on, like when getting gas. Very annoying stuff. The lights work fine and the brakes work fine, luckily, but the trailer data screen says disconnected, the brake gain display shows nothing and it is maddening to have to clear that “bong!” Alert over and over for miles after getting gas.
3rd paragraph mentions the led issue.My trailer is setup with standard bulbs, I did replace the turn/brake lights with led's, but that wasn't the issue in my case anyway.
If you haven't tried, give everything a good cleaning and apply new grease, it's simple and maybe it will fix your problem. My guess is the supplier used poor preservative or dielectric grease when manufacturing the plugs

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
3rd paragraph mentions the led issue.My trailer is setup with standard bulbs, I did replace the turn/brake lights with led's, but that wasn't the issue in my case anyway.
If you haven't tried, give everything a good cleaning and apply new grease, it's simple and maybe it will fix your problem. My guess is the supplier used poor preservative or dielectric grease when manufacturing the plugs
thanks, @kevdog0710. I’ve gone through all connections, added grease, the pigtail is brand new, I’ve added way more grounding than should be needed, etc. I am going to try increasing the resistance on the bulbs, adding resistance to the marker circuit and using a pigtail adapter for “European” cars. I may go back to try incandescent bulbs again but hearing that that is necessary is like ford telling me that I need to put bias ply tires back on the trailer In order for the brake controller to work. I don’t ever get the disconnected warning when I first hook up so I know that this is related to the truck computer somehow. It’s only after the truck cycles off then back on with the trailer attached.

Sponsored

g33kmode

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tundra
CURT 57004 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side to 4-Way Flat Trailer-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter , Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IITX6KQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_AZSB17TK717RQMRQESXA

I am having the same problems as you guys and instead of wiring resistors in the lights it looks like just using this adapter would fix the problem.
Thanks for posting this. I ordered ^ that Curt adapter and it solved my problem. Have pulled my big Tex trailer 3-4 times since and no errors showing up regarding trailer lights. All is well.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
just added to my Amazon cart....as you can tell I’m new to diagnosing trailer issues...just started towing with this AS like 6 months ago. Learning a lot...thanks..
One word of caution: the trailer control module that drives the 7-pin had a history of being sensitive to load. The recall for it was to correct the electric brake control from being disabled due to not sensing the trailer properly.

While I think Ford has addressed that (I no longer see the issue, but did), that basic 7-pin connector may not fool the truck into sensing a trailer. It may be worth a try, though.

I keep a tube of conductive paste now just in case.

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
I have a similar issue when towing my boat trailer. Purchased truck on Friday and towed boat on Saturday. I kept get an alert about my trailers left turn signal. I checked all trailer lights and they were working correctly. I’m going to dealer tomorrow to get windows tinted and will notify them about my issue.
Same issue - always left turn signal error that nags throughout the drive.

Fomoco65

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150
Occupation
Retired
As I said before, cut trailer plug off install new one .Works perfectly.I know it doesn’t make sense, plus trailer was almost new.
Sponsored