Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Ford F-150 Trailer Hitch specs 20210822_162015
I have the 3.5L EB Supercrew 4x4 Lariat w/the max tow package.

Bought before I knew a single thing about actually towing a travel trailer (I only know a little more than that now lol) , but I knew I needed more truck than the 2016 2.7L that I traded in.
As I believe I have learned, the 13,000# towing figure is basically a fantasy number that borders on false advertising. Under the "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" paradigm, the number is far lower.
I think I have a truck that has :
GVWR - 7,050#
GCWR - 19,400#
Payload - 1593#
Curb weight - 5457#
Max towing capability - 13,900#

Some of this I figured out from Ford specsheet, the rest by hunting for it. Why their little computer system can't include any pertinent information in a itty bitty corner of the window sticker eludes me. Why make it hard?

I don't own a trailer yet, but have seen that I can expect the tongue weight to be between 10 - 15% of the trailer GVWR (?)

Which finally brings me to what has me writing. This is a pic of my trailer Hitch sticker. Its telling me max tongue weight is 500#'s? So a trailer equal to or less than 5000#? Can this be right?
Sponsored

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Towing the full 14,000lbs is sort of a pipe dream yes. Considering that the GCWR is 19,400lbs and the weight of the truck plus max towing capacity already puts you over the limit at 19, 457. And that's without any cargo. I think a more realistic number is a maximum of 10-12,000lbs and even then you're pushing it when towing 12,000 lbs.

In order to follow all proper rules/laws/regulations, technically with a normal hitch the tongue weight should not exceed 500lbs, which means the trailer weight can not be more than 5000lbs. If you buy a weight distributing hitch, then the tongue weight can be 1,400lbs and a total trailer weight of 14,000 lbs. A weight distributing hitch transfers some of the load off the rear axle and hitch onto the front axle. That's why the total tongue weight can be more. It took many google searches and youtube videos until I finally understood the physics behind how this is possible, you should google it to understand.

Now that doesn't mean everyone follows these recommendations. People tow whatever they want however they want all the time and most of the time they're fine. But if you ever get into an accident or cause one, be prepared to pay for it.

Lastly, if you're towing a boat, apparently the tongue weight is less important because boats are so rear heavy (because of the motors) and this weight is behind the trailer wheels. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a weight distributing hitch to tow a boat and I've seen some monster 30+ foot boats towed all the time.

Hope this helps.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
And I'll remind you of one thing everyone forgets about..... PAYLOAD!!!!! Depending on what you tow, you can blow through payload pretty quick. The sticker is on your door jam. Payload includes: weight of all passengers, weight of the hitch itself, hitch weight (10-15% of trailer GVWR, 12.5 is a good number), weight of all truck accessories (mats, bed covers, bed mats, tools you carry in cab), and anything you throw in the bed.

Example:
People - 4 adults 200lbs each - 800 lbs
Weight Distribution Hitch - 100 lbs
Truck Accessories - 150 lbs
Hitch Weight of 5000lb trailer - 625 lbs
Gear - 200 lbs

That's 1875 lbs.

There's a lot of trucks that have a payload rating of 1500 lbs. The more factory accessories your truck has the lower the payload. So that sunroof, tailgate lower, tailgate steps, onboard power..... all add up to take away from your payload. So you may have to lighten your load.

**I'm using a travel trailer for example. You can distribute the weight more in other types of trailers.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
20210822_162015.jpg
I have the 3.5L EB Supercrew 4x4 Lariat w/the max tow package.

Bought before I knew a single thing about actually towing a travel trailer (I only know a little more than that now lol) , but I knew I needed more truck than the 2016 2.7L that I traded in.
As I believe I have learned, the 13,000# towing figure is basically a fantasy number that borders on false advertising. Under the "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" paradigm, the number is far lower.
I think I have a truck that has :
GVWR - 7,050#
GCWR - 19,400#
Payload - 1593#
Curb weight - 5457#
Max towing capability - 13,900#

Some of this I figured out from Ford specsheet, the rest by hunting for it. Why their little computer system can't include any pertinent information in a itty bitty corner of the window sticker eludes me. Why make it hard?

I don't own a trailer yet, but have seen that I can expect the tongue weight to be between 10 - 15% of the trailer GVWR (?)

Which finally brings me to what has me writing. This is a pic of my trailer Hitch sticker. Its telling me max tongue weight is 500#'s? So a trailer equal to or less than 5000#? Can this be right?
So the math is:

Curb Weight + Payload <= GVWR
Any 2 values and you get the other, in your nums it checks out:
5457 + 1593 = 7050

Curb Weight + actual Payload + Max Tow <= GCWR
So for you:
5457 + actual Payload + 13,9000 <= 19,400
so to tow the limit (among other considerations) your payload <= 43lbs, which is not possible.

Curb weight includes fluids (gas, etc) and factory options. So actual payload has to cover Driver (and of course passengers), gear in cabin or bed, and after market options, PLUS configured tongue weight.

Assuming no after market options, and just a 200lb driver and a 10% tongue weight then equation is:

5457 + 200 + (.1 x TW) + TW = 19400 so max Tow Weight = 12,500lb

How can they state 13,900? That is a max, they don't know your trim/option or hitch set up. There are F150 trims that have >2500lb payload (but you would need a corresponding increase GCWR to work). But also, there are towing situations where you do NOT need 10% tongue weight. The 10% number is a minimum suggestion for stability at towing at speed. If are just moving stuff around a construction site or a farm at <20mph then you can hitch up at 1% or less. Then you could pull close to the 13,900 spec.

Finally to your question about the hitch label:
It shows you 2 hitch setups, one with just regular ball hitch (limited to 500lb tongue weight and 5000lb tow) and the other (to get to you highest tow capability) is to use a Weight Distribution hitch. With a WDH and max tongue at 1400lb and assuming for highway speed towing a 10% tongue weight, then you have the stickers 14,000lb tow. But again this sticker is max nums for the hitch hardware, you then need to go back to calculations above for your actual truck max capability.
Sponsored