Sponsored

Trailer brake not working

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I just called another dealer in my area and they are saying they were notified to not expect the software until July. I've reached out to another dealer in my area and they said they didn't know. They were going to check and call me back.
Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Ford Recalls Almost 400,000 Trucks Over Trailer Brake Software Issue

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-recalls-400k-trucks-trailer-brake-maverick-f150-super-duty/

Ford will start notifying owners of affected models by mail on or around April 18, 2022. If you believe your vehicle is covered by this recall or you have questions, contact Ford's customer service department at 1-866-436-7332 and reference recall number 22S17.
This thread started April 1, 2021. A year + to fix a safety software issue. Unacceptable.

Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
This thread started April 1, 2021. A year + to fix a safety software issue. Unacceptable.
They had only 67 reports of nearly 400,000 and needed time to diagnose fix test and distribute. 100% of owners aren’t towing, and the ones that are and had the problem weren’t reporting it properly.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
They had only 67 reports of nearly 400,000 and needed time to diagnose fix test and distribute. 100% of owners aren’t towing, and the ones that are and had the problem weren’t reporting it properly.
Agree completely. The issue was also intermittent, difficult to replicate and a remedy was hard to pin down—software, the controller itself, the connection at the 7-way. There were a lot of theories. Whining about how long it took to fix is counterproductive.

PMCJR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Agree completely. The issue was also intermittent, difficult to replicate and a remedy was hard to pin down—software, the controller itself, the connection at the 7-way. There were a lot of theories. Whining about how long it took to fix is counterproductive.
Jeb, rpeterslll, I don't believe turbopilot was whining about how long it took to fix, I believe he was stating a fact. I'm sure you are much more experienced with these types of problems than I but I too find it very hard to believe that the geniuses that were working on this problem took that long to come up with the solution if it is indeed a solution , unlike some of their other solutions that actual caused problems of their own. This was a serious, dangerous and life threatening issue. Like you said Jeb it was either the pin the controller the module or the software. A year to determine that and come up with the fix while a mother and father with their 3 kids in the back seat are trying to get down the side of a mountain holding back a 5000 lb TT with no brakes. Like turbopilot said "unacceptable.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Are you angry about the time it took to fix or the fact that your workaround is now obsolete?
Neither, the whole thing worked to my advantage. I find the Tekonsha controller to be better than the Ford controller (when it works). I would have never tried it had the F-150 worked from the beginning. What I like best is real time feedback of the trailer brake activity. The Tekonsha display shows a constant real time value approximating the current voltage output to the trailer brakes. The troubleshooting menu allows you to see the real time output of system voltage (in my case trailer voltage), stoplight voltage, brake output voltage and brake output current. As I indicated above I installed the Tekonsha independent of the F-150 systems except brake sensing. So further bugs or software updates cannot impact the trailer brake control. All this for $139 and a few hours of installation.

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working brake1-X2

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working brake2-X2

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's always that ^ solution if you don't trust the Ford controller enough to head down a mountain. It wouldn't make me happy with Ford, of course, but it would make me feel safer.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Neither, the whole thing worked to my advantage. I find the Tekonsha controller to be better than the Ford controller (when it works). I would have never tried it had the F-150 worked from the beginning. What I like best is real time feedback of the trailer brake activity. The Tekonsha display shows a constant real time value approximating the current voltage output to the trailer brakes. The troubleshooting menu allows you to see the real time output of system voltage (in my case trailer voltage), stoplight voltage, brake output voltage and brake output current. As I indicated above I installed the Tekonsha independent of the F-150 systems except brake sensing. So further bugs or software updates cannot impact the trailer brake control. All this for $139 and a few hours of installation.

brake1-X2.jpg

brake2-X2.jpg
Fair enough. As I said, I’ve used the P3 before and it’s a good controller. But I was never satisfied with its level of integration. I found a controller that uses an accelerometer to estimate datapoints like speed, tow vehicle brake force, lateral g’s etc. less accurate than a factory controller that calculates trailer brake force by reading these data directly from the ECU. But if you have it dialed in to your satisfaction, then you made the right choice. Indeed, the failure of the factory controller is not something to be lamented but celebrated. Otherwise, you never would have been compelled to find a better solution. So why complain about how long it took for Ford to fix its inferior product? What do you care?

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Jeb, rpeterslll, I don't believe turbopilot was whining about how long it took to fix, I believe he was stating a fact. I'm sure you are much more experienced with these types of problems than I but I too find it very hard to believe that the geniuses that were working on this problem took that long to come up with the solution if it is indeed a solution , unlike some of their other solutions that actual caused problems of their own. This was a serious, dangerous and life threatening issue. Like you said Jeb it was either the pin the controller the module or the software. A year to determine that and come up with the fix while a mother and father with their 3 kids in the back seat are trying to get down the side of a mountain holding back a 5000 lb TT with no brakes. Like turbopilot said "unacceptable.
You missed my point. Whining is counterproductive—both yours and @turbopilot ‘s. Ford ultimately found a solution. You want to punish them for that because it took too long? Would it have been better if they just continued to deny that there was anything wrong and “solve” the problem that way? Whine when it doesn’t work. Whine when it admits there is a problem and comes up with a solution because it took too long. Nice incentive structure for a company to do the right thing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Jeb, I've crossed paths with you and your posts now MANY times over the past few months. I think folks like yourself just don't get what forums are for. ???

Edit: this was an attempt at humor. I think it failed, much to my chagrin. 😳🤪

Last edited: