Trailer brake not working

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Ford has stated there is an update coming in November that addresses trailer issues. This may or may not fix this specific problem. They aren’t specific about it to the dealer I guess. We just need to wait and see.

I also just experienced the issue again on a 130 mile trip in the rain. No trailer message when testing the brake controller. Tried disconnecting it for 10 minutes but it didnt fix it.

The problem did not occur on the way back 2 days later at all and brakes were fine.
Where did you here this? This would be great news!~
Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Where did you here this? This would be great news!~
I brought it up to my Ford dealer and the service manager had knowledge about the release date. Also I was contacted by ford who sent out some engineers to collect information on my truck regarding the issue after I reported the problem to the NHTSA. They also said and update will be coming to address trailer issues, but they couldn't say for sure if the update would address this specific issue. Only that they know of an update to be released soon. They didn't know if it would be over the air or if it had to be manually installed in the dealer yet either. I hope to hear more as my dealer hears more.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I brought it up to my Ford dealer and the service manager had knowledge about the release date. Also I was contacted by ford who sent out some engineers to collect information on my truck regarding the issue after I reported the problem to the NHTSA. They also said and update will be coming to address trailer issues, but they couldn't say for sure if the update would address this specific issue. Only that they know of an update to be released soon. They didn't know if it would be over the air or if it had to be manually installed in the dealer yet either. I hope to hear more as my dealer hears more.
Well i winterized my RV for the season, so hopefully by April next year this gets sorted out! :) Fingers crossed!

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional
Well i winterized my RV for the season, so hopefully by April next year this gets sorted out! :) Fingers crossed!
That's where I am too. about to Winterize next week! Though maybe I'll wait to cover it until after the update so I can take it for a test drive.

tderouchie

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
hopefully this is true! Otherwise it'll probably be traded in( i realize there is no inventory at the moment). I don't trust the truck for towing anymore and have a hard time paying for something that doesn't do what I need it to.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If Ford told me that my OEM brake controller is NEVER going to be reliable, I would be pretty disappointed. Even miffed. But I'm not swapping to another 1/2 ton brand or model. Would rather tow with this beast and an aftermarket brake controller.

Afterall, oem brake controllers didn't even exist most of my life. :)

NVanRVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 HDPP EB
By the way, I contacted the used "Fodr Motor Company" on this forum. They are an official social media agent for Ford. Let them know about the problems. After exchanging contact info, I got a call from someone at Ford Engineering. They have now arranged for the truck to go into the dealer and do a full diagnostic in conjunction with Engineering. The contact said that the more people that reach out to them the better so they can justify putting more resources on it.

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Another update. We’ve been driving across America for 7 weeks now towing the airstream so I have had several opportunities to try a variety of approaches to fix the problem.

Just today the brakes failed twice, one of them coming out of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. If you know New Gap Road to Gatlinburg you know how terrifying the trip would be without brakes. We were very lucky to find a turn out soon after they failed so we pulled over.

This is what we’ve learned.

We still don’t know what causes the failure but we have gotten better at fixing it.

When the brakes fail we pull over and turn off the truck. We open and close the doors so all of the screens go dark and then we wait inside.

Eventually the truck makes a kind of mechanical clunk noise and we know the truck is completely off. This has happened at 5 minutes, 10 minutes and 15 minutes. Once we hear the mechanical noise the brakes work again when we start up. If we jump the gun and try too early they don’t work

Hope this helps.

What's interesting about this is that it sounds like a 100% software issue rather than connection or wiring issue.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional
By the way, I contacted the used "Fodr Motor Company" on this forum. They are an official social media agent for Ford. Let them know about the problems. After exchanging contact info, I got a call from someone at Ford Engineering. They have now arranged for the truck to go into the dealer and do a full diagnostic in conjunction with Engineering. The contact said that the more people that reach out to them the better so they can justify putting more resources on it.
Reporting the issue to the NHTSA also got Ford's attention as they also contacted me after my report.

NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm glad someone was able to get in contact with you. We are always here to help.

NVanRVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 HDPP EB
We'll some news. I took the truck in today for the diagnostic as directed by Ford (as per my interactions with the social media agent on this site). The service advisor told me that Ford has issued an SSM (see below)… and that I should wait until March. My concern is that the SSM states that the DTC "does not affect vehicle performance" so not too hopeful.

Ford F-150 Trailer brake not working PXL_20211026_164207767

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
We'll some news. I took the truck in today for the diagnostic as directed by Ford (as per my interactions with the social media agent on this site). The service advisor told me that Ford has issued an SSM (see below)… and that I should wait until March. My concern is that the SSM states that the DTC "does not affect vehicle performance" so not too hopeful.

PXL_20211026_164207767.jpg
Wait FIVE months ? wow