First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I connected a boat trailer that had some really old / frayed wiring. Connected trailer's 5-way into truck's 7-way adapter, all worked fine initially. Eventually trailer wiring frayed off completely or shorted out, and I received a "Trailer Brake Module Fault" message on the dash.

No big deal, or so I thought. Disconnect trailer, and hit "OK" on message. Didn't work. For the past week I get the error message everytime I start the truck. Also of note, I have a "fast" blinker indicator sound, but all blikers are flashing at normal speed.

In an effort to clear the message, I went so far as to delete the associated trailer profile, checked all fuses related to a trailer (highlighted in red), and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Still get the error message and fast blinker sound.

I've read on other forums that disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes has cleared the fault. I disconnected for 10 minutes, thinking that should be sufficient... But perhaps not long of enough time?

Any ideas? Seems like it would be a simple process to reset / clear.

Ford F-150 "Trailer Brake Module Fault" Message Won't Go Away Trailer Brake Module Fault

#42 Trailer brake control module
#55 Trailer tow park lamps
#56 Trailer tow stop and turn lamps
#58 Trailer tow backup lamps
#91 Trailer tow light module
#107 Trailer tow battery charge.

Ford F-150 "Trailer Brake Module Fault" Message Won't Go Away Fuses
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Bump... No one else experience this issue?

Any advice on how to correct or clear the fault?

Really hate the hassle and time involved of taking the truck to a dealer for such a minor issue. :rolleyes:

hera87

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same issue: trailer fault message and rapid blinker indicators. My issue started when the battery died randomly one night. I jumó started it and everything is working great, except for this weird software glitch. Did you get it resolved?

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I have the same issue: trailer fault message and rapid blinker indicators. My issue started when the battery died randomly one night. I jumó started it and everything is working great, except for this weird software glitch. Did you get it resolved?
Still have the issue, have not found a way to clear it, I've just been ignoring it. I don't know a way to clear it without taking it to the dealership, which is a hassle. Also today my dash started rebooting several times for no apparent reason... It did this about 2 months ago but it only lasted for a few days, so I don't know what's up.

shtraver

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 FX4, 2021 f150 lariat sport 5L
Have you checked all the fuses? Maybe you blew a fuse?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Have you checked all the fuses? Maybe you blew a fuse?
I checked all the fuses, even disconnected the battery for 10 minutes.

LUV2FORD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6'7" bed, loaded. 6" BDS Lift
Occupation
Engineer
I just got same issue. Blinkers work normal on outside but I get the fault message and quick blinking on dash.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I just got same issue. Blinkers work normal on outside but I get the fault message and quick blinking on dash.
Was this related to anything having to do with hooking up a trailer connection?

Jrihn47

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 5.0
Occupation
Military
It’s happening to my 2018 now. I disconnected my camper and the fault came on almost immediately. Hooked the camper it back up and the module is not working any more.

LUV2FORD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6'7" bed, loaded. 6" BDS Lift
Occupation
Engineer
I've never hooked up a trailer yet, but just had it happen. Seems very odd. Nice warm day. Drove to restaurant and it was fine. Came out from restaurant and it wasn't.

I disconnected the fuses shown in red in first post and then reinstalled them. I could here something clicking when fuse was pulled. The error message cleared! Hope it stays that way...... ?

Sponsored

Bogeypro

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT
I connected a boat trailer that had some really old / frayed wiring. Connected trailer's 5-way into truck's 7-way adapter, all worked fine initially. Eventually trailer wiring frayed off completely or shorted out, and I received a "Trailer Brake Module Fault" message on the dash.

No big deal, or so I thought. Disconnect trailer, and hit "OK" on message. Didn't work. For the past week I get the error message everytime I start the truck. Also of note, I have a "fast" blinker indicator sound, but all blikers are flashing at normal speed.

In an effort to clear the message, I went so far as to delete the associated trailer profile, checked all fuses related to a trailer (highlighted in red), and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Still get the error message and fast blinker sound.

I've read on other forums that disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes has cleared the fault. I disconnected for 10 minutes, thinking that should be sufficient... But perhaps not long of enough time?

Any ideas? Seems like it would be a simple process to reset / clear.

Trailer Brake Module Fault.jpg

#42 Trailer brake control module
#55 Trailer tow park lamps
#56 Trailer tow stop and turn lamps
#58 Trailer tow backup lamps
#91 Trailer tow light module
#107 Trailer tow battery charge.

Fuses.png
Yes!! I had that. It sucked. I never got it to stop binging over and over and over. I could jiggle the connection... It would stop for a while then come back.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Yes!! I had that. It sucked. I never got it to stop binging over and over and over. I could jiggle the connection... It would stop for a while then come back.
What connection did you jiggle?

Cocheran

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Eye doc
I had this happen last week after hooking my old trailer up.
fast blink. Module fault warning on start. Also had no out put to trailer lights after it started.
i pulled the fuses i saw that said tow.
i kept updating this thread for new info.
Unplugged battery this morning.
everything still has power with the hybrid ??‍♂
Then i noticed the fuses at the top of thread.
i hadn’t seen #91 fuse.
i pulled it and it was blown.
i put a 20amp fuse from the aux port in there and all is back to normal.
I’m so glad. So i registered to let y’all know.

LeadFoot-Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Hi my trucks a week old with only 160kms,and I’ve had the bcm module replaced and now waiting on the trailer Module now and I haven’t even towed anything…

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
i hadn’t seen #91 fuse.
i pulled it and it was blown.
i put a 20amp fuse from the aux port in there and all is back to normal.
I’m so glad. So i registered to let y’all know.
I had pulled and checked all the fuses I thought might be related, but evidently my old eyes can't tell a blown fuse from a good one!

I tried buying a new fuse for #91, but it's one of the new-fangled fuses and every auto parts store I checked didn't carry them; they told me I had to go to a Ford dealer.

So I pulled a similar 20amp fuse from #34 "Auxiliary Power Point", put it in #91, and bam, "Trailer Brake Module Fault" message and faster blinker issue went away!

I ended up taking the #91 fuse apart to see if it was really blown, and it ended up falling apart, but I'm sure it was blown, just not easy to see with the opaque semi-clear plastic over it.

Now I'm trying to find out where I can get spare fuses of this type, but can't determine what "type" of fuse this is. Have been reviewing the info here:

https://car-fuse.blogspot.com/2020/12/2021-ford-f-150-fuse-panel-diagram.html

Anyone know the type of the fuse in the image?

Ford F-150 "Trailer Brake Module Fault" Message Won't Go Away 2021-08-25 14.13.07
Ford F-150 "Trailer Brake Module Fault" Message Won't Go Away 2021-08-25 14.29.08
Sponsored