Sponsored

Trailer Brake controller only works manually sliding

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
I rented a dump trailer yesterday (hauling light, mostly brush) and it seemed I could only get the electric brakes to work with the manual slider on the dash. Does the cluster graphic pop up showing gain and bar graph everytime not using manual slider?

I don't have any experience using the brake controller before yesterday. I setup a trailer profile using electric brakes option.

Your best guess, was it the rental trailer wiring or my truck controller setup causing the issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
I like being able to monitor the trailer brake gain display when underway and applying the foot brake. I found that by going into the towing menu on the dash there is a submenu display showing an inclinometer and steering angle where the center portion of the same displays the trailer brake gain reading (0-10). I can't remember what that submenu is titled.

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I rented a dump trailer yesterday (hauling light, mostly brush) and it seemed I could only get the electric brakes to work with the manual slider on the dash. Does the cluster graphic pop up showing gain and bar graph everytime not using manual slider?

I don't have any experience using the brake controller before yesterday. I setup a trailer profile using electric brakes option.

Your best guess, was it the rental trailer wiring or my truck controller setup causing the issue?
I believe there is a member on here who had issues with the plug for the 7 pin trailer connection that did not allow the electric trailer brakes to work when she pressed her brakes. I believe the ford female connector was slightly smaller than the typical 7 pin plug or something like that? I'll try and find the thread on here.

I had a similar issue with my travel trailer the one time i towed it to its campgrounds as well. The brakes on the trailer would lock up fine when I used the slider but not when I would slam the truck brakes, even with the gain turned all the way up.

I havent had a chance to test it again but will once October rolls around.

Here it is: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2021-f150-trailer-brake-brake-controller-nightmare.16333/

OP
OP
KTM753

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Thanks for the reply. I remember reading that thread a while back. But I guess I didn't think it applied to me. Wrong assumption...

I haven't towed another trailer with electric brake since I used the dump trailer. Now I'm curious if another trailer will do the same thing.

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
OP
OP
KTM753

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Sounds good. Keep in touch. I will try to update this thread if I learn anything more or get a chance to test another trailer with electric brakes.
Sponsored