diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Saw a few major engine failure threads here and counted 8 cylinders o_O
That's because all the Powerboosts are in the shop hahahaha and the V8s are actually being driven. :p
Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I have a 22 Lariat 501a with the 5.0 V8 in Carbonized Grey. Should I trade it in for a 23 Lariat 502a PB BAP? I rarely tow and do more city driving.
690E2814-C8FE-4EC2-A715-98CF1FC6B82E.jpeg
I wish I lived close to you, because I would snap up that used 5.0 off the lot.
been waiting on the same truck ( with 502A) since last July. and you have done the mods I will end up doing. If ya want a generator go buy a nice Honda portable.

so my vote is a hard pass on the PB. no offense to the PB people. it has a purpose, just not one I need.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
My PB has been great, no issues. The machE gives me more shit than the PB, and the PB is a far more complicated piece of kit. Most of us had the option of getting whatever we wanted, and as much as I love the V8, I'll sought the faster and more versatile powerboost. The current 3.5L engine couldn't get more refined outside of variable vane turbos which wouldn't really add much due to just how dialed in these have become. Anti-lag is present and can be dialed up. The fact there's a 50hp / 70ftlb tq electric motor that has that power instantly, as soon as you hit the pedal -- the powerboost has more power at all areas of the powerband than the 5.0 --- up until the electric lightning which dynos ~800hp to the wheels, and the new raptor R, which the lightning is still faster than, the powerboost was the most powerful F150.

I wouldn't go for a v8 without knowing which forced induction I'm putting on it. If you're someone that hasn't added boost to your V8, or don't like the idea, the PB is the faster, more versatile platform. About the only excuse I hear from v8 trucks is "yeah, but it sounds cool". As someone that's owned and listened to v8s for many years, there are other things much more important.

When I give a gearhead a ride in the MME after they preach about exhaust, and then we're silently flying through places, accelerating silently, it dawns on them really fast. The PB is quiet, and fast. I look forward to what I want to call the PB-R where they actually give it a decent battery and increase the electric motor's output. It's the only truck I could see replacing the current powerboost. There's really no competition.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I am trading my 2023 PB for a 2023 5.0L.

The PB has more power, a generator and will average about 2-3 more mpg in mixed conditions for me. I do not like the transition from electric to gas and the momentary hesitation to and from, especially at a stop.
The transition used to drive me nuts too. Maybe it's in my head, but I swear that over time the hesitation has gone from something I noticed every time I accelerated to something that is basically non existent. I have read about the transmissions learning your driving patterns over time, so maybe that's it. Or maybe its just that I have become so used to it that I don't notice, but I am still shocked at just how smooth all the transitions are overall. The only time I still notice the gas engine coming on is if I moderately to hard accelerate from a slow rolling start. Otherwise, I rarely notice the change over. The upsides of the Powerboost far outweigh the few times I notice that there's a shift between electric and ICE. Just my two cents.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Driving my Powerboost has never been an issue. My change from gas to electric and back to gas has really been seamless. There are times on local roads that I need to look at the IP to see if I'm in electric or not. Now, the truck stranded me a few times early last year with what ended up being a bad electric drive motor. It was frustrating for sure. It took about 3 months of back and forth to the dealership to finally get it properly diagnosed. The dumb truck would sort of fix itself for a few weeks at a time. The trans has some harsh diwnshifts out of 10th occasionally but not often enough to take it in. I wouldn't buy another Powerboost in its current configuration though. In fact, I'm going full ICE again.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I swear that over time the hesitation has gone from something I noticed every time I accelerated to something that is basically non existent.
I have noticed the same thing at 12k. When you consider all that's happening at the same time (EV-->ICE-->upshifting) then it's amazingly smooth during that transition point. No worries now.

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Seems crazy if you don't need the generator, or if you don't idle for hours at a time with the AC on, just my opinion.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
lets just be glad we have the option of more than one powerplant. for now.

Holody99

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 , platinum, 2023 PowerBoost platinum
Occupation
Mechanic
I just pick up my PB last week , I drive 5 miles to work every day , it’s only got 188 miles on it
But the PB will outrun a 5.0 all day long
I’m mean this has got Oh sh/t when you nail it
An on top of that , it drops in to electric mode a lot , I’m averaging, 20 miles to the gallon
Trade it ,

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
The big question is what you’re looking to gain with such a quick turnaround. What features on the new truck are you aching for your current truck doesn’t have? What’s leading you to consider trading it in so quickly, and what’s led you to consider the PB? Articulating that out loud to us might help you make a decision.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The transition used to drive me nuts too. Maybe it's in my head, but I swear that over time the hesitation has gone from something I noticed every time I accelerated to something that is basically non existent. I have read about the transmissions learning your driving patterns over time, so maybe that's it. Or maybe its just that I have become so used to it that I don't notice, but I am still shocked at just how smooth all the transitions are overall. The only time I still notice the gas engine coming on is if I moderately to hard accelerate from a slow rolling start. Otherwise, I rarely notice the change over. The upsides of the Powerboost far outweigh the few times I notice that there's a shift between electric and ICE. Just my two cents.
You learned how to drive it. There's an adjustment period to the powertrain, it's not a big deal, but typically people like to effectively operate their machines. The most annoying part of the truck, is present in all of the 10 speeds.

The drive modes adjust throttle sensitivity and gear holds. If you're in a peppy mood, use sport. If you want it to be a dog, use eco. Rolling into the throttle from a stop light = smooth E to ICE transition. Stomp the pedal and it's going to bring them both in fast, and you'll feel it. The truck was commanded to get its ass moving, and it does.

One of my favorite snake-oil products out there are the throttle re-mappers. People think it really increases the pep. The issue isn't the throttle, it's the driver's foot. If you want more acceleration, push the throttle further / faster.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
The adaptive learning strategy is for the most part, adapted to the way I drive.
Using hand calculated mileage with mixed driving the small gain in fuel economy isn't worth the potential for problems that could occur from a business stand point. The 5.0L I ordered could burn a quart of oil every 500 miles too. I just feel like there is less chance of down time with the 5.0L (Feelings matter more than anything in the world were living in):ROFLMAO:

I purchased the PB mainly because I believed the generator function would increase productivity and save time. It would save time if I were the only person working.

If you purchase the Powerboost and don't like it, you will have no problem selling it and ordering something else. I think it's innovative and a great overall product.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 22 Lariat 501a with the 5.0 V8 in Carbonized Grey. Should I trade it in for a 23 Lariat 502a PB BAP? I rarely tow and do more city driving.
Well, do we have another PB owner / convert?
Sponsored