First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
I have my VIN #, but I thought there might be another way to track my 2023 Lariat. To see if it's on a rail or on a truck. I think the VIN #s have some meaningful features. Like the type of engine, type of truck, model year etc. I would love to track it every where it goes and stops. I know I'm on the right site, because you guys really know a lot, and have helped me out more than you know. Just by me reading your daily articles,I've learned so much about the truck I haven't received as of yet. Now my delivery has been changed to 12/1/22. Thanks
Sponsored

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor 2022 Lightning
Occupation
Anesthetist
Unless I've missed it, the VIN doesn't include anything to give you tracking information.

The Ford Tracker/OrderTrack app can give you current status, although slow to update sometimes. Ford CS chat can give you updates, but they are generally generic and can't help much. The dealer seems to have the most up-to-date information, including secondary VVR statuses, accurate tracking location when shipping, etc.

They or Ford CS can give you a rail or convoy number and you can track it through the respective system. For example, my truck has been shipped via rail. I was given a rail car number. I call Union Pacific help line and they tell me the status of the rail car. It has been the same status as I got the day it shipped 11/19, so I'm also not sure how up-to-date they are either. The Ford generated ETA is a generic, computer generated number that generally means nothing.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Unless I've missed it, the VIN doesn't include anything to give you tracking information.

The Ford Tracker/OrderTrack app can give you current status, although slow to update sometimes. Ford CS chat can give you updates, but they are generally generic and can't help much. The dealer seems to have the most up-to-date information, including secondary VVR statuses, accurate tracking location when shipping, etc.

They or Ford CS can give you a rail or convoy number and you can track it through the respective system. For example, my truck has been shipped via rail. I was given a rail car number. I call Union Pacific help line and they tell me the status of the rail car. It has been the same status as I got the day it shipped 11/19, so I'm also not sure how up-to-date they are either. The Ford generated ETA is a generic, computer generated number that generally means nothing.
Not sure about UP, but I was able to track mine on Norfolk Southern every step of the way once I had the rail car info. From leaving Dearborn through the 2 hump yards right to the end terminal. Where it got tricky was the end with the trucking to the dealer.

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anesthetist
Not sure about UP, but I was able to track mine on Norfolk Southern every step of the way once I had the rail car info. From leaving Dearborn through the 2 jump yards right to the end terminal. Where it got tricky was the end with the trucking to the dealer.
Mine has been in the same yard/status since 11/19...so many their updates are correct and the railcar is just forgotten in some corner of the yard like my truck was at Area 51.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mine has been in the same yard/status since 11/19...so many their updates are correct and the railcar is just forgotten in some corner of the yard like my truck was at Area 51.
Possible. But you have to learn their lingo. Once it say final placement of car… can’t remember the exact terminology, that means you’ll be unloaded. From then on, it’s just waiting for trucking.

Sponsored

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anesthetist
Possible. But you have to learn their lingo. Once it say final placement of car… can’t remember the exact terminology, that means you’ll be unloaded. From then on, it’s just waiting for trucking.
Yea, but it is the same thing they've said since the beginning..."loaded on railcar" and hasn't changed.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yea, but it is the same thing they've said since the beginning..."loaded on railcar" and hasn't changed.
That could be a UP thing. Do they give you a car location?

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anesthetist
I guess I am missing where you are going with this.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I guess I am missing where you are going with this.
When you call UP, you have a rail car #? You won’t get vehicle loaded or something that specific. But every train car is tracked using the end of train device. If it leave Dearborn, it’s tracked. When it passes through locations, the train reports it back to the carrier. Your truck could be on a rail car owned by UP, but on a train run by BNSF, CSX, NS or UP. No matter who is hauling the car, it’s traceable. Curious, what’s the railcar number?

EDIT: my truck was on a BNSF rail car but transported by NorfolkSouthern.

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anesthetist
When you call UP, you have a rail car #? You won’t get vehicle loaded or something that specific. But every train car is tracked using the end of train device. If it leave Dearborn, it’s tracked. When it passes through locations, the train reports it back to the carrier. Your truck could be on a rail car owned by UP, but on a train run by BNSF, CSX, NS or UP. No matter who is hauling the car, it’s traceable. Curious, what’s the railcar number?
UP 801209

Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anesthetist
Sounds like it was loaded and departed as of 5:40 pm today.
Haven’t called today as I was getting tired of getting the same message.
That’s good but still seems crazy to sit for 8 days at a railyard considering a supposed 20 days shipping timeline

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That’s good but still seems crazy to sit for 8 days at a railyard considering a supposed 20 days shipping timeline
If you look at my details, I was built 9/25/22 and didn’t actually ship until 10/6 vIa NSRR. the car was unloaded on 10/16, then sat at the final terminal, Port Wilmington, DE until 10/26. It was delivered to the dealer on 10/26. It takes a bit of time, which can be annoying if you’re not used to how rail works. In my case, it spent 3 days in the Bellevue, OH hump yard and another 3 days outside of Pittsburgh in another hump yard. These are sorting yards. Is it fast, not necessarily, but it’s economical for vehicles.

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I believe the 20 days for shipping is from the rail yard to the dealer. but I could be wrong on that.
Sponsored