First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCrew
Occupation
Sales
Has anyone had experience, positive, negative or neutral when towing with larger tires?

I have a set of 295/60/20 on aftermarket wheels that I didn't install this spring as I recently bought a 30 ft travel trailer and have be using the OEM tires.

Aside from the decreased milage, are there any issues that I should expect with larger tires?

I should add that the trailer is 7200lbs, tounge wt is 700lbs. I use a WDH and my OEMs are passenger rated, while my aftermarket tires are E rated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Technically, reduced payload. Depending on how much, or If you have payload to spare, perhaps a non issue.

You may have to re-set your hitch.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
What size are your OE tires / wheels?

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I went to 35x11.5R20 E Rated Toyos with a 2" level.
Can't really tell a difference from the one time I towed since the work was done.
My trailer is only 5,500 lbs wet and 23' hitch to bumper though.
I do have to drop the WDH down a notch I think though to compensate for the change in height.

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Technically, reduced payload. Depending on how much, or If you have payload to spare, perhaps a non issue.

You may have to re-set your hitch.
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight - won't have any effect on payload capacity (assuming of course that the tires can handle the combined weight, which the E rated tires should). Might need to do some math to determine the ideal tire pressure for the new tires though. I suspect it's gonna be up near 45 psi and maybe 49-50 towing, but just a guess.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight - won't have any effect on payload capacity (assuming of course that the tires can handle the combined weight, which the E rated tires should). Might need to do some math to determine the ideal tire pressure for the new tires though. I suspect it's gonna be up near 45 psi and maybe 49-50 towing, but just a guess.
I may have to make it my signature, that Ford defines payload as GVWR - curb weight and "officially" bigger and heavier wheels and tires, have a negative impact on payload.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Technically it does as it falls under GVWR which is total mass of the vehicle on the pavement (aka the scale), not on the springs.

I don't make the 'rules', I just kinda sorta look at them while doing whatever I feel is appropriate.

Last edited:

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We need to add new acronym - RGVWR. "Real Gross Vehicle Weight Rating"
When you get that to be recognized legally, on an individual truck by truck basis, I'll be your biggest fan.

Until then, people shouldn't talk themselves into falsities.

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
When you get that to be recognized legally, on an individual truck by truck basis, I'll be your biggest fan.

Until then, people shouldn't talk themselves into falsities.
Totally get it. But if I'm running that close to my GCWR, tires are probably the least of my concerns!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Also, heavier tires might not technically affect the amount of load your suspension/frame can carry, but heavier tires WILL affect your braking performance.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Check the height of the new versus the OEM tires. Most likely the difference is less than 5% and so negligible impact on drivetrain. Depends somewhat on the gearing for the truck as a 3.31 set has less headroom.
Sponsored