• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing thoughts/questions

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
I think using campgrounds to recharge every few hours might be the only way to do a long towing trip and that would add several days to any decent trip.

My guess-ti-math is:

180 miles is the maximum range for towing. You're looking at a more likely 10-stop halfway and 20-stop cross country trip. Even if you could hit 2 sites per day, it would take you 5 or 10 days.

That might even be too ideal. I wanna test it out, but only in collaboration with FoMoCo as a support team.
Sponsored

Richs1stEV

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 and Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Retired
Wondering if the Lightening can be charged "on-the-go" with a portable generator? Haven't seen any discussions about creating one's own "hybrid". I already have a nice Honda portable generator (1800 watts rated) that we use for boondock camping. Generator and gas would add about 100lbs, but would only need to lug around if going to exceed electric range.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Wondering if the Lightening can be charged "on-the-go" with a portable generator? Haven't seen any discussions about creating one's own "hybrid". I already have a nice Honda portable generator (1800 watts rated) that we use for boondock camping. Generator and gas would add about 100lbs, but would only need to lug around if going to exceed electric range.
I thought I read something here about charging while driving but I think it ended up as "we don't know yet". In any case a 1800 watt generator isn't going to do much. Using the 2 miles per kwh figure that has been used as an estimate for the Lightning comes up to 3.6 miles in an hour of charging.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I thought I read something here about charging while driving but I think it ended up as "we don't know yet". In any case a 1800 watt generator isn't going to do much. Using the 2 miles per kwh figure that has been used as an estimate for the Lightning comes up to 3.6 miles in an hour of charging.
If it senses the plug, it will not budge.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
In short, nope.

You'd get a maximum of 3 extra miles per hour with your generator, assuming 0.5 kwh/mile, 100% charging efficiency and sustained 1800 watt output from your generator. You're better off with a PowerBoost-equipped F150 if you plan on long-haul towing.

There's a good discussion about this in another thread.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The RV charging is only an option if one is actually there camping. I don't see it as any sort of replacement to DC.

I supposed someone has figured out a way to bypass the charge while driving. I know car makers have been looking to make a very efficient generator that assists the battery.
Someone made a Hummer in battery with a turbine generator. Claimed it still got like 50 MPG.

Mazda had a wankle generator, not sure if that will every show up.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Saw this today regarding the Rivian and towing..

First real-world Rivian R1T towing test shows huge range loss - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)

62% range loss..but...

- 73mph hwy speeds
-7000lb trailer
- Its November in the midwest US (cold)
- Also-- Detroit-->LA...into the wind and up over the Rockies
True, since they didn't test range/consumption without a trailer, they have no control data. My Model S almost never gets its rated range. Heck, on Thanksgiving I climbed 1200ft in 34F temperatures and I only made 68% of my rated range, and that was without a trailer!

If you check out that IG post linked from that page, they say they cannot talk about range because "Rivian has not released the numbers." No idea how Rivian has a gag order on them if they are independent owners.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
True, since they didn't test range/consumption without a trailer, they have no control data. My Model S almost never gets its rated range. Heck, on Thanksgiving I climbed 1200ft in 34F temperatures and I only made 68% of my rated range, and that was without a trailer!

If you check out that IG post linked from that page, they say they cannot talk about range because "Rivian has not released the numbers." No idea how Rivian has a gag order on them if they are independent owners.
Also not sure now since the official EPA range is released.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I think it would only be fair to make comparisons with trailer/no trailer on the same route and conditions. I highly doubt the R1T would take that large of a hit towing since its rated consumption is already fairly high at 481 Wh/mi.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
the only viable towing ev I see in the foreseeable future is the tri-motor 500 mile cybertruck. but even Tesla doesn't have pull thru superchargers built for trailer towing.
Most Supercharger locations have one or two chargers with a side-loaded pylon that would work with a trailer connected. I have done it a few times. The tri-mtor CT is now abandoned and the 500 mile range estimate was purely aspirational, not a design spec. Elon had no idea what he was talking about, as the new cell hadn't even been designed yet - and now LG and Panasonic are having production issues. The CT is a LONG way off. I'm planning to long distance tow with my Platinum, but it may be like our early days with a Model S - the vehicle becomes the adventure. It'll be along the I-95 corridor from South FL to upstate NY, so plenty of bail-out slow-charge options, but hoping the EA network has enough DCFC in place by then.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Incorrect the older urban 75kW are dedicated 75kW circuits.

But the 75kW and the 250kW are about 10% of the installed Tesla Superchargers. Most Tesla drivers use every other charger due to 90% of them sharing a circuit. These are labeled so you can tell which two share a circuit.
Again, all modern Superchargers are not paired - version 3. Any charger installed in the last 3 years isn't paired. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/16/a-quick-guide-to-teslas-new-v3-supercharging/

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Again, all modern Superchargers are not paired
Most of Tesla's installed base is paired, 90%(?). It's not that big an issue as even Tesla's are lucky to charge at 150kW rate due to all kinds of factors with car and charger.

I'm happy if I get over 50kW (200 miles an hour).

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Isn't the limitation the cargo capacity of the F150EV not the two rating?
Yes, but manageable. 1,800 payload. 800 lb tongue weight (boats use 8-10% vs 10-15% for other trailers) puts me at 1,000 pounds for passengers and luggage. For long distance towing we put much of our stuff in the boat (hence the high trailer weight). I've just changed out the trailer axles for four-wheel electric-over-hydraulic and added weight distribution to be "legal" with the Ford hitch limitation, so should be good to go. I was technically over the hitch limit on my PowerBoost due to the 5,000 pound hitch weight limit without weight distribution, but have just added that. It was a tough task on a boat trailer with a single pole tongue (World Cat offshore fishing boat), but doable with some trailer reconfiguration.

I plan to ask the Lightning dealer to fully charge the truck prior to delivery. I will take the PowerBoost trade-in with loaded trailer and tell the dealer that I want to test drive the Lightning with trailer. I will drive North up I-95 from Delray Beach, attempting 80 miles - if it does so leaving 50% state of charge, I will return to the dealer (160 miles total towing) and trade in the PowerBoost. If it reaches less that 80 miles remaining after towing 80 miles at 50% SOC, I will return to the dealer (Grieco Ford), and pay cash for the Lightning, keeping the PowerBoost for towing, and sell the 2019 Tesla MX.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
As noted already, 90% of Tesla chargers are 150kW and do share a circuit. EA's are 150kW and don't share a circuit. I think the original comment about the shared circuit was someone with no EV charging experience who thought the shared circuit was an issue, it's not.
Pulled that one out of your butt? Tesla has been updating pylons like a madman. No way it is still 90%. Been Supercharging much lately?
Sponsored