First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
On interstate 40 going west from Nashville to Memphis I averaged 11.5 MPG going about 75 mph. On 240 around Memphis I averaged 16.5 MPG going 57 to 60 MPG. Those aren’t bad numbers considering the load.

The rear axle was 100 lbs away from the max limit and had some sway on several instances. I could have done a better job distributing the weight, but it handled very well for a half ton. I should have used a weight distribution hitch with that kind of load and certainly will on the journey back.

I’m very pleased with it and I’m sure you will be too
Sweet, Very good numbers with that type of load.

Been real windy here in AL, don't know if you had a lot of wind also but if you did I'm sure it wouldn't help.
Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
dw2020 said:
I think it is important to keep in mind the Heavy Duty Payload Package is only available on the 157” and 164” wheelbases. So there is no such thing as a HDPP 145”.

It is not provable in any ford specs I’ve seen, but all the photos I’ve seen of a “HD” frame sticker on a 145” wheelbase have been Max Tow trucks.

So my personal choice and recommendation would be if you are planning to tow a travel trailer with a 145” (ie SuperCrew 5.5ft bed) go for the Max Tow. Odds are it will include the heavier frame, higher rear axle rating, bigger rear brakes (as stated in Ford Specs), and who knows what else Ford includes to maximize capability (third leaf in the spring?), etc. It won’t show any more GVWR but it has to help with the actual towing experience....
Bumper Seems to be the only thing that is documented in more than one place. I have seen upgraded brakes in one place and a axle is a couple, though I am not to sure. Ford documentation seems to confuse as a bit. Though the frame data seems to have been updated from 2020:

Ford F-150 Towing test with 2021 Powerboost F-150 frame-official.PNG

I forget if they had a Light Duty frame for the 145 Super Crew in 2020. Though the HD frame is the lighter frame out of the two.

source: https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/F150 (F-150 Specs from November 2021)

Don't forget, the Max Tow (non-PB engine) comes with an extended gas tank of 36 Gallons. The extra weight and gas might reduce the max payload as well.....might be negligible. Gallon of gas = 6lbs approx. Not sure how much the bigger gas tank weighs though.
I am talking exclusively in the context of the PB. Max Tow on 3.5L EB is a different story, not as a good of a dealer as it was a month ago, though still a decent deal.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
<table removed>

I am talking exclusively in the context of the PB. Max Tow on 3.5L EB is a different story, not as a good of a dealer as it was a month ago, though still a decent deal.
Oh....the PB has a bigger 30.6 gallon tank (non-PB stock is 26 gallon) and 20" tires + 18" spare.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Sweet, Very good numbers with that type of load.

Been real windy here in AL, don't know if you had a lot of wind also but if you did I'm sure it wouldn't help.
it was windy and snowy. Didn’t see the snow coming

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
Great write up Adam. I noticed in a YouTube review a beeping noise when in reverse, is this correct and can it be turned off. I was also wondering if they kept the double honk while stepping out of truck while it's running? Forscan is great for quieting nuisance reminders, but not sure if it will be available on this new generation.

Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Great write up Adam. I noticed in a YouTube review a beeping noise when in reverse, is this correct and can it be turned off. I was also wondering if they kept the double honk while stepping out of truck while it's running? Forscan is great for quieting nuisance reminders, but not sure if it will be available on this new generation.
It is only on the PowerBoost as electric vehicles are near silent compared to an ICE.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
double honk is still there.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
So Adam " Tireman". What are your pros and cons of this truck, and would you buy it again?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
I was trying to figure out if max tow on a PB gets you ANY advantage, otherwise people are going to optimize cost and payload spec since max tow has heavier axle but no bump in the GVWR spec.

The powerboost rear axle seems to be 4150# rating by default. Maxtow doesn't seem to increase that axle spec, yet adds weight so eats into payload (on paper).

Then, the powerboost axles are 3900# and 4150# but GVWR of 7350# (a 91% ratio of GVWR/SUM[GAWR]). There are ecoboost axles on some configs that are 3600# and 3800# but it gets a 7050# GVWR (a 95% ratio). So why doesn't the PB get a 600-650# bump over the EB GVWR? It suggests something else is the weakest link. It isn't the tires/wheels, those are rated higher than the axle. It must be the frame/chassis... If they would have just put the HPP frame on the PB as an option (like built into the rip-off max tow) they would have a LOT of happy campers (pun intended).

So I am just trying to learn where the weak spots are and where there is margin. On my current XLT I reach max payload with max rear GAWR, and some margin left on the front. In the PB the front axle is so damn beefy I may try to adjust my WDH so I have comfy margin on both axles (I will reach payload way sooner because of the weak sauce GVWR).
The max tow on the Powerboost I've heard from others aren't really much benefit since many of the Powerboost are already upgraded, not to mention I'm hearing many who have rear axle bolts with the max tow breaking off. I have the non max tow Powerboost and it handles my 32 ft RV pretty good, still setting up my WDH, and possibly buying a weigh safe soon because of its attributes with a toy hauler.
Sponsored