Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I have been a bad forum member recently due to haste, and frustration. I decided to try and put together all of the data on the tow packages to help many of us figure out what we can actually tow. Quick conclusions to investigate with this data are as follows. Please help me dissect this information.

For example according to everything I have seen. Powerboost 4x4 145" with a class IV receiver/hitch and tow tech only, is only rated to 7,000lbs due to lack of a stabilizer bar versus 11,000 with tow or 12,400 with max tow. I am really trying to vet this out and NO ONE at Ford has been able to help at all. I will update the doc with any information needed.

•5,000 lbs. tow rating for the bumper
•7,000 lbs. rating with a Class IV Hitch without tow or max tow (this will disappoint a lot of folks because it is buried that they don't get the solid stabilizer bar, even with tow tech)
•Trailer Tow and, Max Trailer Tow and HDPP get a solid stabilizer bar getting you to the published tow ratings
•Ecoboost 3.5L WITH Trailer Tow or above AND Powerboost WITH OR WITHOUT tow package get a larger radiator
•Max tow gets larger rear brakes

I look forward to feedback on this.

EDIT v4 of DOCUMENT

@solarity
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I have been a bad forum member recently due to haste, and frustration. I decided to try and put together all of the data on the tow packages to help many of us figure out what we can actually tow. Quick conclusions to investigate with this data are as follows. Please help me dissect this information.

For example according to everything I have seen. Powerboost 4x4 145" with a class IV receiver/hitch and tow tech only, is only rated to 7,000lbs due to lack of a stabilizer bar versus 11,000 with tow or 12,400 with max tow. I am really trying to vet this out and NO ONE at Ford has been able to help at all. I will update the doc with any information needed.

•5,000 lbs. tow rating for the bumper
•7,000 lbs. rating with a Class IV Hitch without tow or max tow (this will disappoint a lot of folks because it is buried that they don't get the solid stabilizer bar, even with tow tech)
•Trailer Tow and, Max Trailer Tow and HDPP get a solid stabilizer bar getting you to the published tow ratings
•Ecoboost 3.5L WITH Trailer Tow or above AND Powerboost WITH OR WITHOUT tow package get a larger radiator
•Max tow gets larger rear brakes

I look forward to feedback on this.

@solarity
The difficulty with this is there are so many options that can be picked that is is hard to make a summary or guide. You have to cross reference so many guides that it even confuse dealers. The best idea might be to source all of the documents that can be hard to find, unless you know where to look. Then give a general guide about how to figure out based off the source document provided. To be frank Ford should just reduce the parts and include the trailer tow package. This would be a lot more useful to someone like me, compared to a fold down shifter that is stock in every vehicle with a console shifter, even if the work surface is not included.

I had opted to pay $1000 for the trailer tow package, when all it seems to give me is a stabilizer bar. This is the only part I have found a difference between the 701A 4x4 PB 145" w/ or w/o trailer tow package.

In all towing and all that goes into it almost require a class to understand limitations. Ford Marketing and uneducated salesmen at dealers don't help as they misrepresent the capabilities. The only way you can get some of these tow and payloads numbers is to build a unicorn truck that very few people would ever want to build due to package and trim limitations. Ford Marketing wants to offer a truck that can best its competitor's towing and payload numbers, though at the same time if they make the HDPP available at higher trims it will cannibalize their F-250 business. Every article and youtube reviewer spouts the best in class capabilities.

Nomadic_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Retired
So, not to throw another wrench into your work, but it appears Ford has updated the Build & Price site. Now if you select the Powerboost engine, it automatically adds the Trailer Tow package.

If you opt for the FX4 package or 4x4, then it doesn't automatically add the Trailer Tow package.

Last edited:

Brute150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FiST
Hello Timmay,
Thanks for starting this thread. I am in the exact same boat as you are. Its pretty confusing and my dealer is also unable to resolve this question.
Calling ford customer service is pretty useless.

I am trying to find answers to the same questions as you are, will keep the forum posted if i find the answers.
Just to be safe, i think its better to pick the trailer tow package (53A) over Tow tech (17T), because you only lose out on the "Trailer Reverse Guidance" feature. I think this is the software feature which helps you back up.
You can always add the 360 camera to the 53A.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Hello Timmay,
Thanks for starting this thread. I am in the exact same boat as you are. Its pretty confusing and my dealer is also unable to resolve this question.
Calling ford customer service is pretty useless.

I am trying to find answers to the same questions as you are, will keep the forum posted if i find the answers.
Just to be safe, i think its better to pick the trailer tow package (53A) over Tow tech (17T), because you only lose out on the "Trailer Reverse Guidance" feature. I think this is the software feature which helps you back up.
You can always add the 360 camera to the 53A.
I think the trailer reverse guidance is included. It says "pro trailer backup assist with trailer reverse guidance" I think its inclusive.

Ford also confirmed that you cant go past 7,000lbs without the solid stabilizer bar in the trailer tow and max trailer tow.

Ford has a how to with this title, which seems inclusive. I don't understand the difference between them honestly.

How to Use Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ with Trailer Reverse Guidance | Ford How-To | Ford

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-F-150-TBA-QSG-Version-1_QG-EN-US_08_2020.pdf

Last edited:

Sponsored

Matthew2118

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fiesta, 2021 Ford F-150 XL Powerboost
Does anyone know if the stabilizer bar is something that can be added after-the-fact? I'm getting an XL powerboost with the Class IV hitch so looks like I can tow 7,000lbs without issue. Doubt I'll ever tow more than that but just in case I wanted to could I just add a solid stabilizer bar and have a higher towing capacity? I understand it wouldn't be warrantied to tow that, but I'd deal with that if an issue came up.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Does anyone know if the stabilizer bar is something that can be added after-the-fact? I'm getting an XL powerboost with the Class IV hitch so looks like I can tow 7,000lbs without issue. Doubt I'll ever tow more than that but just in case I wanted to could I just add a solid stabilizer bar and have a higher towing capacity? I understand it wouldn't be warrantied to tow that, but I'd deal with that if an issue came up.
I can't confirm. I have seen some diagrams floating around, just not sure how much of the suspension you have to remove to replace it honestly.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
The fact that they are going with the same O.D. on the sway bar, just one is solid, versus one hollow tells me they have not significantly stiffened the bar. The material nearest the outer diameter is much more relevant to the overall stiffness than the material in the middle. If they really needed to significantly stiffen the bar they would have increased the O.D.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
That is what we all want to know. The issue is we don't know if other improvements are being omitted on paper. Though it would be odd to allow you to pay for something twice, if it didn't add anything. I gave in and asked the dealer to add it to the order. I know you can't modify gvwr & gawr, by swapping parts. I am unsure if the gcwr is posted on the truck and limited. I have never seen it on the door sticker. The limits might be posted on the hitch, though can't say if it is just generic numbers for the max tow vs non-max tow bumpers with a class IV hitch.

As I am not a mechanical engineer nor a lawyer, so I have no idea if without the tow package does it lower your gcwr or create any additional legal liabilities if you tow north of 7000lbs w/o 53A or 53C and get into an accident.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Am I experiencing deja vu? I could swear this thread is days old but every post is dated with today's date?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
First, thanks for pulling this together. I had also been trying to pull together some info and put it into a spreadsheet. I had not seen the information showing the Powerboost should not exceed 7,000lbs. That is interesting, as I was going to dump the Max Tow on the Platinum, because I didn't need the extra 1,400 lbs. Now, it looks like I could lose another 4,000 lbs? That no bueno!

Where it get really confusing, for me is that the 701A comes with Tow Tech. Between the Platinum package and the Tow Tech Package, you get the laundry list of items. When you switch to the Trailer Tow, you essentially get a larger stabilizer bar for an extra $995. No credit is given for taking off the Tow Tech. You pay twice for a towing package. Am I wrong?

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Why is this all so confusing!! Can someone confirm if I do a Lariat PB 502a, 360 Cameras, Tow Package, Active Prep 2, I have all the technology available? Do I have all the towing technology, because that's still available to be added for $900, but I don't see what that adds?

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Why is this all so confusing!! Can someone confirm if I do a Lariat PB 502a, 360 Cameras, Tow Package, Active Prep 2, I have all the technology available? Do I have all the towing technology, because that's still available to be added for $900, but I don't see what that adds?
Confirm? No. But on 502a the Tow and Tech packages are mutually exclusive. You cannot pick both. That (in addition to feature lists and charts posted here) seems to indicate that the Tow package includes all the tech.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Confirm? No. But on 502a the Tow and Tech packages are mutually exclusive. You cannot pick both. That (in addition to feature lists and charts posted here) seems to indicate that the Tow package includes all the tech.
Agreed.
Sponsored