Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Look three posts above, #133.

This is what it looked like:
Towing Package:
Class IV Receiver

As if the truck only came with the hitch, only credit for 53b/hitch and no credit for 17T/ tow tech.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Don’t trust it given what I mentioned above
The thread was started with a document. That consolidated much of the known info.
For starters, you don’t have the larger radiator, which is needed to pass the SAE tests with a 3.5 Ecoboost. It is rated for 7,000lbs. The chat people literally know nothing and are not engineers.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 C8C2C955-5E77-4AF1-8668-1F4017CCA593

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Look three posts above, #133.

This is what it looked like:
Towing Package:
Class IV Receiver

As if the truck only came with the hitch, only credit for 53b/hitch and no credit for 17T/ tow tech.
There is nothing to “credit” for 17T. It doesn’t increase capacity. Beyond the radiator, the parking brake is also different. “Trailer tow” is referred to as “heavy duty” in the esourcebook and the owners manual.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 AD4B8991-F940-4C3C-AB85-9FF4DE25AC27

Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
The thread was started with a document. That consolidated much of the known info.
For starters, you don’t have the larger radiator, which is needed to pass the SAE tests with a 3.5 Ecoboost. It is rated for 7,000lbs. The chat people literally know nothing and are not engineers.

C8C2C955-5E77-4AF1-8668-1F4017CCA593.png
Again appreciate your work on this Timmay and per your comments will remind you that while this thread began with consolidated documents and information which have been a great help it also included some inaccuracies and uncertainty throughout the duration of the thread. The vin tool seems to have greatly bolstered the collective confidence in the actual tow ratings. Of course that is if we can trust that it's actually accurate - After all why wouldn't we? I appreciate you providing the attachments / specs and you would think for a 4k lb difference the ford rv and trailer towing guide would reflect a radiator upgrade and e brake differences for the packages that include the upgrades - they do not for whatever reason. I've looked for those spec sheets you provided - please remind me where I can find them as I want to show them to the dealer / mechanic. If I remember right it was from some system the dealers have access to.

In the mean-time I'll avoid those non-engineer chat box jockeys... :)

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 1617757710399

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Again appreciate your work on this Timmay and per your comments will remind you that while this thread began with consolidated documents and information which have been a great help it also included some inaccuracies and uncertainty throughout the duration of the thread. The vin tool seems to have greatly bolstered the collective confidence in the actual tow ratings. Of course that is if we can trust that it's actually accurate - After all why wouldn't we? I appreciate you providing the attachments / specs and you would think for a 4k lb difference the ford rv and trailer towing guide would reflect a radiator upgrade and e brake differences for the packages that include the upgrades - they do not for whatever reason. I've looked for those spec sheets you provided - please remind me where I can find them as I want to show them to the dealer / mechanic. If I remember right it was from some system the dealers have access to.

In the mean-time I'll avoid those non-engineer chat box jockeys... :)

1617757710399.png
The links at at the end of the document. Itself.

mother than the sway bar size, I think everything is accurate. Parking brakes, brake sizes, radiators, that’s all legit.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Thanks Man - Looks like the fleet link is gone for now. Will be interesting to see what the guys at the dealership have to say when I show them all of this stuff.

Carphunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Stone Gray SCAB XLT 2.7 4x4
I'm chiming in...from my other posts on this topic... your guide shows me two differences i see for my scab xlt 2.7t 302a with tow tech vs buying the tow pack and 360 cam: the pack would give me a solid stabilizer bar, vs the hollow. and it would give me a radiator with 32 core instead of 26.

which i don't know if it means crap to me... but if that's all; there is... it sure wouldn't ding my mileage. conversely...good friend pointed out if i'm not towing stuff that needs that capacity now... don't screw with overthinking my order the way it is.

thanks a bunch for this resource :)

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I have the 3.5EB with Max Tow. Towing is 13,800 and payload is 1694.

Can anyone tell me if I have the 3/4 floating rear axel or how I could tell if I do?

Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Hi All - See the link below from another post - Canadian spec'd Platinum window sticker in the link, Platinum includes the trailer tow package for free. Seems we are we to assume that Ford is going to the trouble of including lesser equipment in the higher level US trucks without the trailer tow package that come with the tow tech package vs the Canada bound trucks coming out of US plants. Went to the dealer for first oil change and had them pull part numbers as well however could not see parts other than the max tow parts in question, both of us looking at the screen searching in their system. Said the manufacturer has been slow in updating these in their systems and next time I'm in should have the part numbers available. Once I actually have part #'s will confirm either way for the group. If someone else has the ability to pull the different package part numbers for the ebrakes and raditors (or any other part #'s that would restrict these Platinum Tow Tech trucks to 7k) please share.

Window Sticker (forddirect.com)

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Question for you all:

I ordered a Powerboost with Tow tech.

This means I have compared to trailer tow package (not max tow)

- same larger radiator (standard on powerboost)
- same transmission (all have same oil coolers seems for 2021)
- same 7350 gvwr frame (same for all PBs)
- same rear axle rating as 3.5EB max tow(4150 gvwr according to the rear axle specs on doc)
- same rear bumper/hitch rating (not upgraded until Max Tow)
- same driveshaft ? not sure about this one

- different front sway bar (hollow sway bar)
- different parking brake (slightly smaller)

So this means that the only difference from my truck to a trailer tow Powerboost (7000lb to 11000 lb tow capacity), is the sway bar and parking brake.

If I add a hellwig rear sway bar, I think I should be good to tow up to 11000 lbs rigtow

Edit: I do have the same sway bar according to this post https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...tow-vs-max-tow-updated-doc-v4.1188/post-33292

And I verified that I have the upgraded parking break by looking at the part number on my truck. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/8-2-build-week.4469/post-111226

Last edited:

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
Question for you all:

I ordered a Powerboost with Tow tech.

This means I have compared to trailer tow package (not max tow)

- same larger radiator (standard on powerboost)
- same transmission (all have same oil coolers seems for 2021)
- same 7350 gvwr frame (same for all PBs)
- same rear axle (4150 gvwr according to the rear axle specs on doc)
- same rear bumper/hitch rating (not upgraded until Max Tow)
- same driveshaft ? not sure about this one

- different front sway bar (hollow sway bar)
- different parking brake (slightly smaller)

So this means that the only difference from my truck to a trailer tow Powerboost (7000lb to 11000 lb tow capacity), is the sway bar and parking brake.

If I add a hellwig rear sway bar, I think I should be good to tow up to 11000 lbs right?
So what I'm not getting with this whole debate is, what's the hitch say? I have NO trailer tow.paclage, no max tow, no 360 cameras, no brake controller, no anything to do with a tow package BUT I do have a Lariat 501a Powerboost which comes standard with the class IV hitch and BLIS, and we all know Powerboost payload is 7350 and my available payload is 1450, according to everything I read and everyone here, max towing for me is 7000 lbs.

My hitch clearly says max weight is 11,600 with weight distribution hitch so what do I believe? I cant seem to wrap my head around this 7k lb max unless it was a XLT or below that doesn't come standard with the hitch and smart connector.

Papawsnow

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat FX4
3.5 ecoboost, powerboost, 5.0, and diesel all the 27mm solid stabilizer bar. It does not matter if it is 53a, 53b, 53c, or 17t.
Screenshot_20210309-213833_Drive.jpg
I can verify, maybe, that it has to be AT LEAST 3401 lbs for the heavier stabilizer bar. I have "Rear GAWR 3400 lbs" on the door sticker and have the 25.4 mm. 500a w/ only a 2.7EB, FX4, and Tow Tech. Fortunately, my boat and trailer are under 3500 lbs soaking wet. It's a pontoon so some frontal area concerns but I pretty much just do 50 mph on country roads for 25 miles to the lake. So, not the issues for me that most of you guys have.
Sponsored