BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Thank you @BoilerTimmay for putting this helpful document together. I would like to put forth what I have found regarding the front stabilizer bar.

"All 122" WB models get a stiffer 36 mm solid stabilizer bar along with models equipped with either the Trailer Tow Package (53A) or the Max.
Trailer Tow Package (53C). Models with the Heavy-duty Payload Package (627) get a 36 mm solid stabilizer bar as well."

This is copied from 2015-2020 fordbbas specs. However, it is a misprint in the 2021. 2021 went to a more efficient, smaller and lighter stabilizer bar.

2015-2020 used the 36mm stabilizer bar.
2021 uses two different thicknesses 25.4mm or 27mm.
As found by @Cooter'sFX4

2015-2020 ordering guide lists "Upgraded front stabilizer bar" for trailer tow package and max tow.
2021 ordering guide does not.

Which of the two stabilizer bars that are installed on a specific 2021 truck does not depend on having tow package.

From parts.ford.com:

2.7L or 3.3L with base payload package get one stabilizer bar.

3.5L, 5.0L, 3.0L diesel, 122" wb, or heavy duty payload get the other stabilizer bar.
My dealership confirmed the information I supplied, if this is a misprint, can someone provide the updated esourcebook info? @Granger Ford is there any chance you can check for an update in your documentation? There appears to be at least two different stabilizer bars, some are color coded. One thing I wonder is WHERE they measure the bar. If it is tapered and measured in the middle, it could be something different. Who knows at this point. Bottom line is that Ford makes it very clear that the trucks are rated to 7,000 lbs without 53A, so what is the difference.... I wish they would/could tell us.
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
My dealership confirmed the information I supplied, if this is a misprint, can someone provide the updated esourcebook info? @Granger Ford is there any chance you can check for an update in your documentation? There appears to be at least two different stabilizer bars, some are color coded. One thing I wonder is WHERE they measure the bar. If it is tapered and measured in the middle, it could be something different. Who knows at this point. Bottom line is that Ford makes it very clear that the trucks are rated to 7,000 lbs without 53A, so what is the difference.... I wish they would/could tell us.
Went through my parts department and no information there, none are in the shop today getting road ready and the temp is sub zero so I am not crawling under one today to measure it...

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
What gets confusing as well is the combination of 17T and 53B which looks to be equivalent to 53A.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Went through my parts department and no information there, none are in the shop today getting road ready and the temp is sub zero so I am not crawling under one today to measure it...
Thanks, I measured my max tow at 27mm... but I don't know where it is supposed to be measured, and if there is a taper... also do you have access to the "esourcebook specs" document? Maybe they have updated it and you could look that number up for us. Just a thought.

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
On my Powerboost Platinum with only Tow Tech package with 7.2kw, my payload is 1363 (Regular 4X4, not FX4).
@laujoyjoy , you might have a near match to what i have on order - Plat, PB, 7.2kw, FX4, Unleashed, Partitioned Storage, Tow Mirrors, Standard Trailer Tow (NO max tow), NO bed liner, NO moonroof.

Any other differences other than you have 4x4 vs FX4 and you have moonroof?

Sponsored

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
@laujoyjoy , you might have a near match to what i have on order - Plat, PB, 7.2kw, FX4, Unleashed, Partitioned Storage, Tow Mirrors, Standard Trailer Tow (NO max tow), NO bed liner, NO moonroof.

Any other differences other than you have 4x4 vs FX4 and you have moonroof?
I have sunroof and spray bed liner

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
What gets confusing as well is the combination of 17T and 53B which looks to be equivalent to 53A.
that’s the million dollar question... what’s the difference because it has to be something...

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Thank you @BoilerTimmay for putting this helpful document together. I would like to put forth what I have found regarding the front stabilizer bar.

"All 122" WB models get a stiffer 36 mm solid stabilizer bar along with models equipped with either the Trailer Tow Package (53A) or the Max.
Trailer Tow Package (53C). Models with the Heavy-duty Payload Package (627) get a 36 mm solid stabilizer bar as well."

This is copied from 2015-2020 fordbbas specs. However, it is a misprint in the 2021. 2021 went to a more efficient, smaller and lighter stabilizer bar.

2015-2020 used the 36mm stabilizer bar.
2021 uses two different thicknesses 25.4mm or 27mm.
As found by @Cooter'sFX4

2015-2020 ordering guide lists "Upgraded front stabilizer bar" for trailer tow package and max tow.
2021 ordering guide does not.

Which of the two stabilizer bars that are installed on a specific 2021 truck does not depend on having tow package.

From parts.ford.com:

2.7L or 3.3L with base payload package get one stabilizer bar.

3.5L, 5.0L, 3.0L diesel, 122" wb, or heavy duty payload get the other stabilizer bar.
Can you share the parts.ford.com details on this? I actually only see one part number available. FYI this site isn’t complete yet for the 2021 according to my dealer, and what I have seen. Please provide the parts and descriptions.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
that’s the million dollar question... what’s the difference because it has to be something...
I think is mostly marketing to extract the maximum amount of dollars out you. A sway bar shouldn't add 4000 lbs more towing capacity.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Can you share the parts.ford.com details on this? I actually only see one part number available. FYI this site isn’t complete yet for the 2021 according to my dealer, and what I have seen. Please provide the parts and descriptions.

OI went to our parts department looked at the front sway bar part number on all 3 tow packages and it is the same part number for all, does not give any mm dimensions or any further details.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
OI went to our parts department looked at the front sway bar part number on all 3 tow packages and it is the same part number for all, does not give any mm dimensions or any further details.
Thanks, There is very likely more than one sway bar based on others measurements. I don't think the parts site is updated yet unfortunately. The saga continues.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Great to have options to choose from but holy confusion Batman. The names of the packages are not even consistent in some of the literature, ie Medium Duty vs. Heavy Duty. At least you can assume that heavy duty means max tow.....

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Great to have options to choose from but holy confusion Batman. The names of the packages are not even consistent in some of the literature, ie Medium Duty vs. Heavy Duty. At least you can assume that heavy duty means max tow.....
actually heady duty is Trailer tow and max duty is max tow... it’s ridiculous

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
No doubt ridiculous indeed - Thanks for your work on combining all the info, most thorough compilation I've come across after doing an exhaustive search on all things
'21 F150 towing....

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
No doubt ridiculous indeed - Thanks for your work on combining all the info, most thorough compilation I've come across after doing an exhaustive search on all things
'21 F150 towing....
I just wish I had more confidence that the documentation was actually accurate...
Sponsored