Sponsored

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I'm looking at the document in the OP but I'm trying to figure out what the GCWR is for the truck I want to build. There's 16,800 or 19,400. How do I know which one to use? It's a Supercrew 4x4 with 3.55 axle and 3.5L ecoboost
Sponsored

Wrf61

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Mine is a Lariat 501A Powerboost with the 7.2 KW, 4x4, trailer tow package, and my payload is 1595#.

clifford

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Subaru Outback
I don’t see this spelled out anywhere; I understand the 4x4 PB gets the 3.73 gear, e-locker and 9.75 axle regardless but is that synonymous with the “HD full floating” axle, or is that actually specific to the max tow package?

Wrf61

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I don’t see this spelled out anywhere; I understand the 4x4 PB gets the 3.73 gear, e-locker and 9.75 axle regardless but is that synonymous with the “HD full floating” axle, or is that actually specific to the max tow package?
I have the regular tow package and my axle and frame sticker is :
Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 20210227_143220_001
Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 20210219_095909

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I believe there are two separate 9.75" Axles, a regular semi-floating axle for everything without Max Tow, and then the HD 9.75" axle which is a "3/4 floating" design. I would assume the PB & EB come with the regular semi-floating 9.75" axle unless they have Max Tow, and then they would get the 3/4 floater. But honestly I don't think we have enough data here to support that, it is just my assumption based on the things I have seen.

First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f-150 XLT 300A 3.5 3.55
I mean this should be the nail in the coffin regardless of parts. Fords Oasis tech guide says I have medium duty and am Limited to 7000 pounds based on the owners manual. Why its been so hard to get an answer is ridiculous and being told the wrong answer 5 separate times.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 ECF319E1-E17E-47D2-906F-B23AABED7C4E

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 53459025-FCEC-43BA-9584-1489DCCC27E3

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 F948E8E3-ABE1-47CA-A2AC-9599EB2A64C0

lc7

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge on this one.

I obsessively read all the forums back in January before I ordered my truck. Seemed like the conventional wisdom at that time was that, on the Powerboosts at least, if you didn't need the Max Tow, there wasn't much to gain by going with Tow Package instead of Tow Tech, supposedly could pull 11k either way.

So...I ordered my truck on Jan 18, the day before this thread started, LOL. Ordered a Lariat Powerboost, with Tow Tech.

Now my truck has been built and shipped, and I'm awaiting delivery soon, so I log back in to start reading up on everything again, found this thread, and I've had a sick feeling in my stomach ever since. Trying to decide whether I need to cancel and start over with a different order, if the conventional Tow Package really makes much difference for the Powerboosts.

Here's my use pattern:
-Total suburban dad life, mostly driving to work and hauling the kids and friends around town.
-Occasional bedful of firewood or mulch
-Several times a year pull a 24 ft travel trailer, dry weight 4480 lbs, probably around 6000 with full 40 gal water tank and gear.
-Twice a year, pull the boat 10 miles between the marina and winter storage. Trailer and boat combined weight 6375.

So...someone make me feel better and confirm my bias that I'm probably fine regardless, that I'm probably going to stay under the limit even if it's close, that the different stabilizer bar can't possibly make THAT much difference on the PB, should be ok over short distances even if I'm close to maxing out the 7000 lb "limit," and anything else you want to tell me.

First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge on this one.

I obsessively read all the forums back in January before I ordered my truck. Seemed like the conventional wisdom at that time was that, on the Powerboosts at least, if you didn't need the Max Tow, there wasn't much to gain by going with Tow Package instead of Tow Tech, supposedly could pull 11k either way.

So...I ordered my truck on Jan 18, the day before this thread started, LOL. Ordered a Lariat Powerboost, with Tow Tech.

Now my truck has been built and shipped, and I'm awaiting delivery soon, so I log back in to start reading up on everything again, found this thread, and I've had a sick feeling in my stomach ever since. Trying to decide whether I need to cancel and start over with a different order, if the conventional Tow Package really makes much difference for the Powerboosts.

Here's my use pattern:
-Total suburban dad life, mostly driving to work and hauling the kids and friends around town.
-Occasional bedful of firewood or mulch
-Several times a year pull a 24 ft travel trailer, dry weight 4480 lbs, probably around 6000 with full 40 gal water tank and gear.
-Twice a year, pull the boat 10 miles between the marina and winter storage. Trailer and boat combined weight 6375.

So...someone make me feel better and confirm my bias that I'm probably fine regardless, that I'm probably going to stay under the limit even if it's close, that the different stabilizer bar can't possibly make THAT much difference on the PB, should be ok over short distances even if I'm close to maxing out the 7000 lb "limit," and anything else you want to tell me.
No, this needs to be stopped.... its ridiculous

lc7

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
This thread was super helpful, by the way. Much more than my own research on the Ford site. Thanks @BoilerTimmay

If we're pretty sure the frame and axle and brakes and radiator and hitch are all the same on a Powerboost with Tow Tech vs Tow Package, and the only difference is the stabilizer bar, I think I'll stick with my Tow Tech order that should be arriving soon. I guess I could always look into swapping out the stabilizer bar in the future if needed.

Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Seems the stabilizer bars have not yet proven to be different on the 21’s. The data mentioned earlier is only for 2020 trucks. Seems at the higher trim levels no one can yet tell the diff between the combo of 17t and 53b vs the tow package as everything looks the same based on the 21 guide, all the same boxes checked. Use mine for the same things you do and either way would not spend too much time worrying about it. Your truck will pull what you need it to and more.

Reactions: lc7
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems the stabilizer bars have not yet proven to be different on the 21’s. The data mentioned earlier is only for 2020 trucks. Seems at the higher trim levels no one can yet tell the diff between the combo of 17t and 53b vs the tow package as everything looks the same based on the 21 guide, all the same boxes checked. Use mine for the same things you do and either way would not spend too much time worrying about it. Your truck will pull what you need it to and more.
Ran 3 seperate VINs in Fords Tech Guide of no tow, trailer, and max. Each had a different listing, so something is different

81MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4runner
To BoilerTimmay: thanks again for the information you compiled.

to Lc7.
I am in the same boat. I feel like you!
Talk me off the ledge! Lol.
I ordered my PB with Tow tech expecting the tow rating to be 11k, only to later find the foot note in the trailer guide to not exceed 7k pounds.
Getting information from the dealer is near pointless. They tried to tell me it was “fine.”
My frustration is my truck isn’t built but they say it’s too late to change.
The parts guys ran my vin and a PB max tow on the lot and told me the stabilizer part number was the same...but the hitch part numbers were different...
Could it be a same hitch rating but different part supplier?
Getting info from Ford or dealer is hard...

I am not sure if I will buy my original order or order another.

Last edited:

lc7

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
To BoilerTimmay: thanks again for the information you compiled.

to Lc7.
I am in the same boat. I feel like you!
Talk me off the ledge! Lol.
I ordered my PB with Tow tech expecting the tow rating to be 11k, only to later find the foot note in the trailer guide to not exceed 7k pounds.
Getting information from the dealer is near pointless. They tried to tell me it was “fine.”
My frustration is my truck isn’t built but they say it’s too late to change.
The parts guys ran my vin and a PB max tow on the lot and told me the stabilizer part number was the same...but the hitch part numbers were different...
Could it be a same hitch rating but different part supplier?
Getting info from Ford or dealer is hard...

I am not sure if I will buy my original order or order another.
Interesting. That’s the first time I’ve read the hitch might be different. Maybe someone has a way to look under an actual Powerboost with tow tech to verify?

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Hitch will be different weight rating from tow/ tow tech to max tow. The sticker on your hitch will tell you the hitch weight rating which for the class iv/ 53b should be as pictured.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 DE5BF8F9-EECC-4A9A-9974-6E62548D97D5
Sponsored